News: DMN: Tony Romo and Broncos GM John Elway spotted at House Majority Leader's party

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
True. But none of those were QB's. They're the one player that can take a team from underachieving, and make them contenders. There's a lot of bad QB's in the NFL.

You can't lump non-QB trades in with the position. Come on, now.

I'd give up a third for him if I was a contender that had someone started an Osweiler, and I thought he could stay healthy. I wouldn't think twice about it. He's kind of in a unique situation, where he's basically getting a year off to recover and just workout. That's probably an undermentioned aspect.

I don't really if it's possible to trade a player under the condition that they were going to renegotiate their salary, but if he was willing to cut some salary he'd probably catch some serious interest.

I think a 3rd is realistic if he renegotiates. If not, they'll probably just wait for us to release him.

Well, GB got a conditional 4th for Favre and the Eagles got a 2nd for McNabb. But those guys didn't have major injury history.

I guess its a possibility he could reduce his contract. I'm just trying to think of why Romo would do that. Just force the Cowboys to release him and he can negotiate with the team he wants to play for instead. Heck, Snyder might pay him 20 million to compete with Cousins as well as piss Jerry off.

Last edited:

RoboQB

Reaction score
I am sorry ....... has Romo taken a hit in practice? Because everyone knows how great Romo is as a QB ....... problem is in a real game he will get hit ........ and is body has proven in the last two years he cannot take any kind of hit without breaking a bone in his body.

I believe the scenario was a Dallas vs. Romo Super Bowl.
That puts Romo in one game against our "pass rush".
He would rip us apart. Thanks for playing.

I agree that he would likely never make it that far physically.
However, the comment i replied to was about one game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I would keep him and let him start 2017 give him a last chance with cowboys, but I wouldnt mind him going to houston if he goes.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for playing.

Hilarious ......... in your scenario of him beating the Cowboys he does not get touched the entire game.

I agree that he would win if the other team was not allowed to hit him ........ unfortunately that is not how the game is played.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Hilarious ......... in your scenario of him beating the Cowboys he does not get touched the entire game.

I agree that he would win if the other team was not allowed to hit him ........ unfortunately that is not how the game is played.

Again, it wasn't my scenario... I'm aware of how the game is played... I've played it, coached it and watched it.
Marinelli would never blitz Romo and our DLineman would never get to him. Also, it's the SB so, Romo's team
would be elite.

But it's never going to happen so...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would keep him and let him start 2017 give him a last chance with cowboys, but I wouldnt mind him going to houston if he goes.
Please tell me of any examples you've ever witnessed personally based on the following scenario:
  • Starting franchise quarterback is sidelined due to injury or illness
  • Backup quarterback assumes starting position
  • Backup quarterback performs well-enough that coaches formally or informally name him as the new starting franchise quarterback
  • Coaches permit open competition between old and new starting franchise quarterbacks during the following offseason and training camp
  • Old starting franchise quarterback re-assumes the starting position permanently (e.g. until injury/illness, trade, waiver, or retirement)

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I will be absolutely elated if we somehow get a 3rd round pick for Romo.

Ryan Clady -- a premier LT in his prime -- only fetched a 5th round pick, and that was with the Broncos throwing in a 7th round pick to sweeten the pot.

28 year old DeMarco Murray two years removed from leading the NFL in rushing only netted a swap of 4th round picks.

Brandon Marshall only generated a 5th round pick after coming of a couple of 100 catch seasons.

It's not a sellers market when trading players in their prime, let alone perpetually injured 37 year olds.

And more recently, journeyman Sam Bradford QB fetched a 1st round pick.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
This might be an unpopular post, but for me a yawn story. It was a social/political event and this happens all the time. I could be wrong but I wouldn't read too much into it.

I was thinking the same thing but why would Romo be in CA for a political event?

Elway I can see, he went to Stanford and has ties to CA. Seems odd for Romo to be there to me.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing but why would Romo be in CA for a political event?

Elway I can see, he went to Stanford and has ties to CA. Seems odd for Romo to be there to me.

Could be he donated to his campaign so he got invited? Like Manning, Romo might be planning for a life in politics after his career. It's not unusual for people with money to donate outside their district.

Could also be that he took the wife and kids on a vacation to Disney Land and Sea World and someone invited him to the party.

I just don't buy the conspiracy theories. Elway is smart enough to not risk loosing draft pics because of tampering. Just my opinion though.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Please tell me of any examples you've ever witnessed personally based on the following scenario:
  • Starting franchise quarterback is sidelined due to injury or illness
  • Backup quarterback assumes starting position
  • Backup quarterback performs well-enough that coaches formally or informally name him as the new starting franchise quarterback
  • Coaches permit open competition between old and new starting franchise quarterbacks during the following offseason and training camp
  • Old starting franchise quarterback re-assumes the starting position permanently (e.g. until injury/illness, trade, waiver, or retirement)
LoL that is all irrelevant.
I was stating what I would do.
most teams follow what has always been done, it would be nice to see a team think outside the box for a change.
Dak proved he is a good QB, but not that he is better than Romo, they are different types, and Tony might have a good season
if they started him over dak.
Plus so many times we see a QB have a good year, then after that they dont do as well, so better to keep Tony until they are sure
Dak can be as good next season.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
201604_1119_hafcc_sm.jpg_large

Come on Bleu, we can love em both.... I am with Dak, but I'll always be a fan of 9, and he will always be a Cowboy legend brother. I appreciate what he has done for the organization and the how he handled his time here. He is pure class, and I wish him the best and I'll continue to root for him where ever he lands. I am thankful for 9....

Now 4 I am behind 1000% and I believe in the kid, and I love the class he displays. But it's different, he has fun and is always smiling. Romo let the lows get to him, but 4 man he just rolls with it. His mama did him good. I am a mamas boy, and I appreciate that he is the same. Love me 4, and I'll always love me some 9 bruddha

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
What would you give in trade for this? And with that Broncos OL (allowed 40 sacks in 2016)
its going to happen much sooner rather than later.

tony-romo-e1472486010140.jpg

If they get 9 they need to make a run at Leary he would make a huge difference on that line for them.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I believe the scenario was a Dallas vs. Romo Super Bowl.
That puts Romo in one game against our "pass rush".
He would rip us apart. Thanks for playing.

I agree that he would likely never make it that far physically.
However, the comment i replied to was about one game.

Here's the thing...

If the stars finally aligned for a Romo and he won a super bowl on another that would just be a kick in the.... front door!

I actually don't believe he can take any team through a playoff run successfully and make it to super bowl...

If he did though... he could win.

I don't see it happening!
Would never recover if he beat us...
But I don't see it!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Come on Bleu, we can love em both.... I am with Dak, but I'll always be a fan of 9, and he will always be a Cowboy legend brother. I appreciate what he has done for the organization and the how he handled his time here. He is pure class, and I wish him the best and I'll continue to root for him where ever he lands. I am thankful for 9....

Now 4 I am behind 1000% and I believe in the kid, and I love the class he displays. But it's different, he has fun and is always smiling. Romo let the lows get to him, but 4 man he just rolls with it. His mama did him good. I am a mamas boy, and I appreciate that he is the same. Love me 4, and I'll always love me some 9 bruddha
Careful.
This sometime can be a maturity-free zone.
You are in violation.:muttley:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, GB got a conditional 4th for Favre and the Eagles got a 2nd for McNabb. But those guys didn't have major injury history.

I guess its a possibility he could reduce his contract. I'm just trying to think of why Romo would do that. Just force the Cowboys to release him and he can negotiate with the team he wants to play for instead. Heck, Snyder might pay him 20 million to compete with Cousins as well as piss Jerry off.
Romo's salary should not be an issue for a team that wants him. He is scheduled to make 14M in 2017. That is a bargain for a Pro Bowl type QB.

In a trade, his scheduled salaries are not guaranteed. That significantly reduces the risk to the team.

The Texans gave Osweiler a 4 year, 72M contract with 37M guaranteed just for the chance that he would be good. Their risk would have been much lower if they waited a year and traded a 2nd to the Cowboys for Romo. At this point I think the Texans wish they had just given up a 2nd round pick instead of giving out a 72M contract.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Here's the thing...

If the stars finally aligned for a Romo and he won a super bowl on another that would just be a kick in the.... front door!

I actually don't believe he can take any team through a playoff run successfully and make it to super bowl...

If he did though... he could win.

I don't see it happening!
Would never recover if he beat us...
But I don't see it!

So we are in agreement. It is very unlikely.

robjay04

Reaction score

So you would keep Tony Romo as backup quarterback over adding a premier defensive free agent and gaining a draft pick(even if we cut him, we will get a comp pick.)??

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Whoa -- hobnobbing with the political bigwigs . . . who says football players can't ascend to high society? :D