CFZ Do fans ever "hang their cleats up"?

b0xZZ

Reaction score
I only casually check in here and there but I’m not spending a dime on this league since all their dumb social justice crap. So yea fans can hang ‘em up

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Football is a way of life. It’s like when you get up in the morning and brush your teeth. And go to bed. Everything in between is football. It’s not good it’s not bad it’s not indifferent. It’s just what I choose to do go cowboys. There’s not another adrenaline flow on this planet like it. Well I was in the military but you get it.

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

Just curious if other fans relate to that feeling.
My interest in the NFL as a whole has declined, there's just less to like about it, and if it wasn't for the invention of the DVR I wouldn't be watching regularly. With the DVR though I can breeze through games and skip commercials whenever I find the time. I watch less now but I'll never completely quit following the team though, I've become desensitized to the pain, lol.

calico

Reaction score
The rule changes have drastically reduced the quality of NFL football. Soo much so that my passion for the game is gone.

It finally died for me after the nfl ruled on the dez catch in the playoffs. I’ve not returned after that. I only really watch cowboys games and when I do, I’m mainly waiting for them to screw up so I can laugh at them.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I watch many sports and support many teams.
This is my favourite sport and I picked the Cowboys in 1985 when I started watching.
Unless something happens that is incompatible with My moral code, I'll continue to love it and will support My team through thick and thin.
All the losing and heartbreak will just make Our eventual triumph all the sweeter.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Exhibit B:
Hung it up March 28, 1994. I watch the team out of respect for what Clint Murchinson, Tex Schramm, Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles, John Wooten, and Jimmy Johnson built as the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team" and brought back as the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team". I respect the players of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's that were the actual Dallas Cowboys.

But, since March 28, 1994 I no longer have season tickets traveling out of town to watch a Cowboys home game in Dallas/Irving/Arlington TX, I no longer go to Cowboys away game in the city where I live or close to where I live. I no longer buy Cowboys merchandise, no longer tape every game and new report to watch in the off season, I no longer rush home from visiting family on thanksgiving day to get home by 2:45PM CST, no longer leave church early to be home by 12PM, 3PM, 7PM CST., and no longer have my family come together every game to cheer for the Arlington Jonesboys.

So I come to this forum to vent about what a great NFL FOOTBALL franchise was taken away from real Dallas Cowboys fans by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones trying to push the Arlington Jonesboys done fans throat. I come on this forum to rebuke the lies, revisionist history, and false claims that what is now the Arlington Jonesboys are not the Dallas Cowboys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven’t been super upset at a Cowboys loss in decades. (Probably the last “lose my peace“ loss was “The Catch“ loss in SF in Jan, 1982 in NFC championship game)

When I was a young man, I took Cowboys losses hard. Maturity tends to give a person some perspective. Along with raising 4 kids, surviving kidney cancer, and many other big issues life brings to us all, I’ve learned some things along the way .

I love the Cowboys and want them to win. But winning or losing doesn’t affect me that much anymore. Obviously, I enjoy winning more but these days I enjoy the journey of a season, watching a team develop and improve. My only disappointment with this team has happened when I feel our ownership/leadership hasn’t been sufficiently open to learn and change as a front office to seriously compete for a championship. But even that doesn’t really bother me.

There are a ton of things in this world that are more important than the outcome of a Cowboys game.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
A pretty big thing happened in the early 90’s that ensured that kind of success will likely never be witnessed again.

Edit: Not defended the Jones’, just adding a little context.
If you are talking about the salary cap, that is the revisionist Jonesboys history I rebut. Patriots, Steelers, Eagles, and Greenbay, seem to have GMs and Head Coaches that have navigated the Salary Cap very well going to multiple Conference Championship games from 1996 to present.

Jonesboys have this permanent GM that cannot be fired and has not performed at the consistent winning standard of America's Team the real Dallas Cowboys in close to 3 DECADES. You would think he and his "salary capologist" Son would have figured it out in 30 years. They have one of the lowest average payroll for over two decade and have the results to prove what is their priority (it ain't Super Bowls).

Why is Tex Schramm in the NFL Hall of Fame. Why is Jerry Jones in the NFL Hall of Fame? That is the difference between the Dallas Cowboys and the Arlington Jonesboys.

As Jones said he wants the Cowboy be/stay relevant. He did not say be/stay champions.
https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/nfl-world-reacts-to-jerry-jones-admission-on-cowboys

shabazz

Reaction score
I haven’t been super upset at a Cowboys loss in decades. (Probably the last “lose my peace“ loss was “The Catch“ loss in SF in Jan, 1982 in NFC championship game)

When I was a young man, I took Cowboys losses hard. Maturity tends to give a person some perspective. Along with raising 4 kids, surviving kidney cancer, and many other big issues life brings to us all, I’ve learned some things along the way .

I love the Cowboys and want them to win. But winning or losing doesn’t affect me that much anymore. Obviously, I enjoy winning more but these days I enjoy the journey of a season, watching a team develop and improve. My only disappointment with this team has happened when I feel our ownership/leadership hasn’t been sufficiently open to learn and change as a front office to seriously compete for a championship. But even that doesn’t really bother me.

There are a ton of things in this world that are more important than the outcome of a Cowboys game.
Prospective is a must here…..people are shooting others over a wrong order at Popeyes Chicken these days

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I love the Cowboys as much as anyone, but I learned a long time ago to not let things that I have no control over affect my life too much. Winning or losing on Sunday has no impact on my life. Other than some trash talk from friends and family, I don't take it too seriously. If Dallas wins, that's awesome. If they lose, I still need to get up on Monday morning and go to work. I'm not financially invested in the team, other than some memorabilia. I'm 49 years old, so chances are I I will see another super bowl title come to Dallas before I take a dirt nap. And if I don't, oh well. It's out of my control, so why would I get too emotional one way or the other. I used to, but as you age you realize that there are more important things to devote my emotions to.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
For what? No NFC Championship games in 27 years by the Arlington Jonesboys when the Dallas Cowboys went to 18 in 35 years (1960-1995).

Jonesboys fans need to get help expecting the Dallas Cowboys every year.

Reminds me of the 1967-1986 Saints fans that had an owner as GM and could not get a winning season and playoff game until a new owner hired a GM that was not the owner or his children.
it was an unreasonable expectation for this organization to continue with that NFCCG streak. The salary cap has made that a near impossibility. Teams in every sport have had dominant stretches and then have struggled to get back to that level. Look at the Chiefs. Took 50 years for them to finally win a 2nd superbowl. The vikings went to 4 superbowls in the 70's and haven't been a threat to get back since (other than a season or two in there). The Packers stunk in the 70's and 80's. Patriots have been awful for the majority of their existence.

In baseball, the A's, Reds and Pirates were three of the best teams in baseball in 70's. Now look at those franchises. Basketball, the bulls were terrible until Jordan arrived. Then went back to being nearly being unwatchable after he left. The lakers and Celtics are really the only two teams in that league that have been good in nearly every decade.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

This is a great post. I don’t think it’s possible to switch teams. For me definitely not. I lose interest but always remain a fan. For NBA I am a Knicks fan. Pathetic I know. I have not watched the NBA for years but now am somewhat interested in the Knicks playoff run. I used to be an avid fan. The Yankees have killed me. I despise Brian Cashman and their corporate BS. I love baseball but have little to no patience with that team so I barely watch the games. Huge hockey guy. Love the Rangers. Never miss a game. I do marvel at how they blew it this season but am still invested. The NFL has me ticked off. Football is my number 1 but the non-football BS being injected is tough for me to swallow. The Jones family and decades of futility have also caused me to be less interested. I still like it but don’t get as invested anymore.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I used to worry and sweat when the playoffs would begin. Now I wait for the yearly meltdown. And it never fails to come.

Motorola

Reaction score

Fans "Hanging up their cleats" = no longer following what a team does, period = not watching the games \ league \ sport.
One can claim they are no longer emotionally invested and just view the Cowboys as "entertainment". If that's the case, why spend time on a fan blog - researching potential draft picks, commenting on the never-ending prattle from the team owner, following what star players do or say, what moves the other NFL teams have done to get better, etc.?

Just look up the schedule each week starting in September to see the day, time, and network/channel the game comes on - and plan accordingly.

'TheCritic' - just from your thread title and intial comments - are you really not going to watch Cowboys games this season?

leeblair

Reaction score

These are no longer the Cowboys you grew up loving.
This franchise went from being the greatest franchise in the world of sports to the biggest circus in showbusiness.
Do I still love the Cowboys? Yes- always.
But they don't exist anymore.

GMO415

Reaction score
50+ years as a Cowboys fan. The losses haven't ruined my weeks in decades. Life moves on but I was Cowboys born and Cowboys bred. When I die I'll be Cowboys dead.