Do we all agree that this is a really good roster

kskboys

Reaction score
="ultron, post: 11678921, member: 39885"]There’s a lot of pressure to be a Dallas Cowboy and I think that pressure significantly increases when they get in the playoffs, and they tend to start big games way more nervous or I think tense might be the better word.

I don’t think that’s on the coach(es) but you can have your own opinion on that. I’ve played in big games and if you have too, you probably know the feeling. The bigger the stage - the more you don’t want to make a mistake/fail/lose and it really magnifies if the other team gets a lead & that lead starts to build.

Nevertheless, the season is over and it is what it is. Here are my thoughts regarding the roster. You can critique it all you want, but Dak is a top 10 QB PERIOD. I’m not debating that with anyone because if you don’t think he’s a top 10 QB you’re just flat out wrong.

QB - Top 10

I would have said top 5 the first half of the season. The second half of the season says he’s not even top 10. If you judge him vs over .500 teams he has not played well at all and the sample size is getting larger and harder and harder to overlook.

HB core - Top 10 (Pollard needs to take over primary duties - Zeke can block on 3rd down)

No. Not even close. Pollard is a nice change of pace back. In his prime, Zeke was all world. But right now I would place our running game at middle of the pack at best and probably lower.

WR core - Top 5 (hope to retain Gallup or Wilson but we might draft a cheaper option)

I don’t think so. First half of the season you have a pretty good argument for that. Hard to tell if you are right of not since Dak can’t read the field. I’ll say “incomplete” or “unknown” at this time.

TE core - Top 10 (Schultz is a good TE and we can cut Jarwin to retain Schultz)

Patently false. Schultz has a knack for the possession game but again these guys are middle of the pack at best.

Oline - Top 5 (key pieces are getting up there in age)

False. The wheels are starting to come off of this once dominant OL. Martin is the only one that seems to have much currently and he looked mortal this year too. It is possible that coaching was a factor in the decline. But right now I would put this line at middle of the pack at best.

Dline - Top 10 (this unit got significantly better from last year)

No. Just no. I don’t know where you are coming up with this at all. They CAN occasionally rush the QB against bad teams but wilt against the better OL.

Tank is an albatross. He needs to GO. I hope he has played his last game as. Cowboys. Gregory has skill but he is an idiot.

The interior guys can play SOME. They are good Rosario all pieces with upside. I’ll give you that much.

LB Core - Top 10* (best all around LB in the league)

No. We have Parsons. That’s it. The rest are cheap placeholders.

DB Core - Top 15 (must keep Jayron & either draft a really good CB or hope Bossman develops into a really good #2 or maybe even a #1 - he certainly has the speed for it)

IDK. I think these guys are maybe smoke and mirrors. I would trade Diggs while his stock is high. Hearse might be the best of the bunch. Should have drafted Humphrey over the rapper.

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

I agree on this one.

K- Replace immediately

I agree on this one too.

Special teams - Top 5/10 (4 or 5 blocked punts is insane)They make me nervous, but I am
Willing to give you this one too. Might have something developing here.
Very well done.

I simply cannot fathom how people can consistently overlook our weaknesses.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
No, step outside the division and this team gets punched in the mouth.

they aren’t close in the trenches. speed at wr, safety yet again, probably need 2 TE, outside of Parsons and a rehabbing Cox they are extremely thin at LB.

I’ll spare the QB discussion, too many threads and that’s your qb likely thru 2024.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you aren’t top 4 in your conference then you most likely won’t get a shot at playing for a conference championship.

kskboys

Reaction score
You can’t name 14 better quarterbacks in the NFL with facts to back your statement. Stop it!
Hmmmmmm.....

I'll give it a shot:

Brady
Mahomes
Rodgers
Wilson
Josh Allen

Stafford
Carr
Burrow
Herbert
Tannehill

Here is where it gets dicy.

Cousins
Kyler
Lamar
Ryan

I think the last 4 are tied w/ Dak.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We typically have good players and garbage coaching.

Jerry Jones selects the coaches.

Someone else selects the players.

The problem is where now??

Creeper

Reaction score
I actually do believe this is a really good roster with a few exceptions.

I think the OL is overrated. First, I think Williams and Biadasz are weak. Williams needs a replacement. But even beyond those two, they don't get movement and they do not hold their blocks long enough. There is something missing with those guys.

The DL is overrated too, at least by Cowboys fans. Our DL is young inside, and hopefully guys like Odighizuwa, Hill, Bohanna and Gallimore will develop into better players. But right now they are very average.

On both sides of the ball Dallas is weak where they musts be strong.

Unfortunately, they will lose a lot of free agents this year and because of the CAP they will have to find replacements who are not as good as they guys who leave. But I do think if they can find a replacement for Williams, and if Biadasz improves with another offseason of work, the running game will improve, even with Zeke as the primary back. Of course, Zeke is not the same runner he was in 2016. The Cowboys need to accept that and find someone to take snaps away from him. I know it's Zeke and all but you have to play the guys who give you the best chance of winning. Zeke is not very good anymore as a running or a pass catcher. His best attribute is pass protection and that is not worth $15 million a year.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Yes, and entitled and spoiled. That is the problem. They would rather be "Hot Boyz" than "Bad Arse". They need the fear of going home and jobless piped in their bunks 24/7.

You still have to earn a title. Just ask Charles Hailey and Larry Allen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s a lot of pressure to be a Dallas Cowboy and I think that pressure significantly increases when they get in the playoffs, and they tend to start big games way more nervous or I think tense might be the better word.

I don’t think that’s on the coach(es) but you can have your own opinion on that. I’ve played in big games and if you have too, you probably know the feeling. The bigger the stage - the more you don’t want to make a mistake/fail/lose and it really magnifies if the other team gets a lead & that lead starts to build.

Nevertheless, the season is over and it is what it is. Here are my thoughts regarding the roster. You can critique it all you want, but Dak is a top 10 QB PERIOD. I’m not debating that with anyone because if you don’t think he’s a top 10 QB you’re just flat out wrong.

QB - Top 10

HB core - Top 10 (Pollard needs to take over primary duties - Zeke can block on 3rd down)

WR core - Top 5 (hope to retain Gallup or Wilson but we might draft a cheaper option)

DB Core - Top 15 (must keep Jayron & either draft a really good CB or hope Bossman develops into a really good #2 or maybe even a #1 - he certainly has the speed for it)

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

K- Replace immediately

Special teams - Top 5/10 (4 or 5 blocked punts is insane)
I agree there are a lot of strong pieces, but I think this is maybe a little optimistic.

O-LINE: Really is not top 5. It includes a still strong, but aging and frequently injured LT, a LG that is the most penalized in the league and frequently gets beat badly by pass rushers (either bullied by bigger guys, or out "quicked" by smaller guys), and a center while good at the technical aspects of the position, struggles to hold ground against larger, stronger interior D-Linemen.

D-LINE: Definitely better than in the past, but still lacking run stuffing interior linemen.

LB: Agree that Parsons is a true standout and incredible talent, but the rest of the unit is very ordinary. When Parson's is rushing the passer the quality of the LB play drops significantly

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There’s a lot of pressure to be a Dallas Cowboy and I think that pressure significantly increases when they get in the playoffs, and they tend to start big games way more nervous or I think tense might be the better word.

QB - Top 10

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

K- Replace immediately

I think you are looking at NFL rosters the wrong way. When you rate NFL rosters the first player you look at is your starting quarterback. Dak is 29 years old and his quarterback that is probably rated between the 12th-15th player in the league. Then you look players who either hit the quarterback and/or protect the quarterback. Parsons, age 23 appears to be a highly ranked player but for some reason the team wants him playing middle linebacker and rushing the quarterback only half the time.:rolleyes::facepalm: Tyron and Martin our in their 30s. I would rank them in the middle with Dak at protecting the quarterback. Diggs is an All-Pro cornerback. The more I think about we probably have three blue chip players (Martin, Diggs, and Parsons). That might when you NFC East but that is not getting you a Super Bowl.

foofighters

Reaction score

QB - Top 10

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

K- Replace immediately

Our QB is no longer in the top 10. Would you put our WR's in the top 5 as a core? I wouldn't. Our Oline isn't great either. If our Offense was truly ranked where you put them, we'd be playing on Saturday or Sunday.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

QB - Top 10

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

K- Replace immediately

We have an above average roster.

Really good.....no

We have 9-7 talent

I think we have alot of players that are ok that fans cheerlead for

links18

Reaction score
No, the talent is overrated. QB is marginal, OL has regressed, living off of past reputation; top RB is a shell of his former self; the better RB isn't featured, our TEs can't block and our triple threats WRs are either injured, disappear for long stretches or drop the ball too often.

On defense, we are soft up the middle, get run on too easily, give up big plays, are constantly asleep early in games and don't consistently pressure the QB.

Coaching is where we are really lacking; incompetent game management, and OC who can't adjust and a Special Teams coach who likes his guys over better players.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

QB - Top 10

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

K- Replace immediately

We need a better center.....if TFred was here, we'd be a SB team....my opinion

MajesticRey

Reaction score
This team has good pieces, but we’re lacking in discipline (penalties), coaching (schemes) and straight up talent (our OL is mostly average at best, and we still struggle to defend the run).

blueblood70

Reaction score

QB - Top 10

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

K- Replace immediately

mostly agree been saying that all year and especially since Sunday ,..

Maybe in your eyes they are top 5 but as group sorry they arent getting it done.

GM and Owner and HC need to open their eyes to reshuffling and retooling he OL whether its moving a player or two around and then maybe some off this last draft or two like Farinok(G or C) and Ball(lt or RT) can start contributing. let Cwill walk and what not..can Steele start at LT or RT , move LC to LG? make TS the swing tackle or let him retire gracefully??

to begin a New Offensive line coach is necessary IMO

maybe new OC and new offense then shuffle the OL to the new offensive scheme. Who knows but that an issue no consistent pocket, rare run lanes, and far too many penalties?

so yes Dak and this offense needs new voice and new vison time to take the training wheels off ie Dak friendly, the reason KM was kept but new might be what this team needs.

worked on defense why not the offense?

offlimits

Reaction score

QB - Top 10

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

K- Replace immediately

On paper perhaps but it does not translate to on the field meaningfulness in big games.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

QB - Top 10

P- Top 5 (hope he stays)

K- Replace immediately

OVERRATED AND FANS BELIEVE THIS, there are backups that play against us that are better than our starters