Do you care if we resign Dak?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I get a sense that man Cowboys fans are either ambivalent or against resigning Dak to an extension.
I think many, myself included, would like to keep Dak but the price point, $55-$60 million a year just seems crazy to reward someone who hasn't produced much tangible success with that type of deal.
We are a better team with him but nothing has shown us that he is worth that investment.
At this point, we can just let it ride out and deal with the future after the season.
I am apathetic towards the team as a whole.

We had the Greenbay melt down and the "all in" comments by Jerry followed up by a whole lot of nothing.

I don't see this team having any success until Jerry moves on.

I will always care about this team, but I am just flat out tired of their constant crapping the bed, especially in the post season.

leeblair

Reaction score
If the Cowboys want to stop being a perennial joke, the have to get rid of the Garrett philosophy once and for all, and that means getting rid of Dak.
If they want to continue in mediocrity, they will keep Dak.
Jerry must decide if he wants to win or if he wants to cling to the pride he has that deceives him into thinking he will one day be justified in the idiotic way he has run the team.
I think Dallas needs to move past Dak and Jason Garrett once and for all.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Why does it have to be either-or? This is a team that has won 12 games three years in a row and is 5-1 without him over that period of time. I agree you most likely will be downgrading at QB if you replace him, but you have a pretty talented team and cap flex next year depending on how they handle the next couple months.
I don’t disagree. I’ve been enjoying your words lately btw. Good stuff.

This roster is not to where it needs to be completely blown up IMO. I am also not of the thought that it is impossible for Dak Prescott to eventually have playoff success (although asking him to do more with less probably won’t add up, hence the frustration).

But what’s the middle ground exactly? Some Teddy Bridgewater type of QB that only makes 25-30 million? What would they do with the savings? Maybe buy a real DT finally?

I can’t see how Trey Lance is the answer either or, barring disaster, how they will ever find out.

Whether it’s ultimately the right or wrong decision, I have a tough time thinking that Jerry is going to do something other than bringing back Prescott, and the longer he waits the more costly it’s going to be.

On the other hand, with Prescott being this close to UFA, I can see why he won’t accept anything lower than a market setting deal, and I can also see why butt hurt Jerry doesn’t want to give it to him. The team isn’t at all in a great spot…as far as on the field success.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To get embarrassed like with GB? Absolutely NOT. We didn't deserve to be there the way they looked. Totally embarrassing. There are no moral victories just going to the playoffs. Raise your standards.
Well of course not but no one goes to the playoffs and says I’m gonna get beat up. You just want the chance. All competitors do. No real competitor says I want to lose and get drilled by the Packers.

Real competitors don’t have loser mentality. The difference between winners and losers but we live in this fantasy football era…

stiletto

Reaction score
We all expect better playoff performances, but if you don’t go, you don’t have a chance. That’s my point! Anything can happen in the playoffs. If you’re good enough to make the playoffs, you’re good enough to have a chance. You have to have a good regular season to make the playoffs. The regular season matters, which is why they play 17 games. You’re being beyond silly comparing hot babes, and winning games during the regular season. lol You used to sound pretty sensible, but you’re starting to lose it.
Really, I was just joking trying to show an analogy. Being satisfied with good regular seasons is like staying with an OK looking woman when you know she's not THE ONE and she is annoying **... I think it is better to cut your losses and try to find better if you know its out there and you can get it. haha. It's a joke but TRUE. I'm not losing it, I feel the same way about the football team. I don't want to settle for mediocrity with them. When Dak had shown enough facts that he wasn't the guy, I decided to move on. QB is the most important position, if you have a choker at that position it's over. Doesn't matter how good the Defense is or isn't. I gave Dak a lot of rope with my fandom. He failed.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Do you care if we resign Dak?​

Nope. The decision, like all others, are in the Mad Genius' hands for signing Dak Prescott before or during the season. Hopefully, the team will enjoy an atypical season, advance beyond the divisional playoff round, and perhaps even appear and/or win a championship. It is extremely likely Prescott will be the quarterback in that possible (improbable?) scenario barring injury.

On the other hand, MG may continue playing 'hardball' :rolleyes: and not sign Prescott to an extension throughout the season. Prescott would still be the quarterback whether the above scenario plays out or the team nosedives into a losing season.

Prescott is behind center in either scenario. Caring about a resolution in contract negotiations between Jerry Jones and Prescott will not change either of them.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Those that don’t care if we re-sign Dak either honestly believe he’s no good or could care less if the Cowboys go in the dumpster for a number of years. I’m hearing a lot of fans on this board saying they’re willing to take the risk of moving on from him and seeing what happens. I’m not willing to end up like Washington has since they elected to move on from Kirk Cousins. He’s far from perfect, but he’s pretty good and kept them competitive. There’s a reason he’s still around making big money. It’s because it’s very difficult to find a solid QB. You have teams using high first round picks that are over drafting QBs that shouldn’t have ever been a first round pick because the need is so great. That’s the risk the Cowboys take by not re-signing Dak. If you’re just looking to Dak bash and have nothing intelligent to say, then don’t bother responding to this post.
I agree QBs are hard to find but it's like the stock market. Without risk there is no reward. The problem with signing Dak is your conceding your turn to pick in the top of the draft and having better quality draft capital to go up and draft some real talent at the QB position. The Cowboys team has some real talent on it and it would a perfect landing spot for a talented young QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I want the hottest babe possible, you are ok with the 5/10 or 6/10 looking girl. Washington's GF is ugly as a wet dog barking in a river. So, I get it. At least you admit you are OK with a 6 GF... LOL!
I asked for an intelligent response and this is what you give me? :rolleyes:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree QBs are hard to find but it's like the stock market. Without risk there is no reward. The problem with signing Dak is your conceding your turn to pick in the top of the draft and having better quality draft capital to go up and draft some real talent at the QB position. The Cowboys team has some real talent on it and it would a perfect landing spot for a talented young QB.
You just said QB’s are hard to find. Picking in the top of the draft doesn’t guarantee you’re going to end up with some real talent at the QB position. Just look at all the top five QBs that have gone bust the past few years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You don't like jokes?? You seem uptight and snooty these days.
You used to sound real sensible, but you’re starting to lose it. I think the mentality of the fans on this board is starting to get to you. You’re acting like I’m satisfied with getting to the playoffs and losing. You’re wrong! All I’m saying is I’d rather have a chance in the playoffs than sitting home. Making the playoffs and sitting home for the playoffs are two different things.

stiletto

Reaction score
You used to sound real sensible, but you’re starting to lose it. I think the mentality of the fans on this board is starting to get to you. You’re acting like I’m satisfied with getting to the playoffs and losing. You’re wrong! All I’m saying is I’d rather have a chance in the playoffs than sitting home.
What am I not being sensible about? Dak? I gave Dak almost a decade to get over his playoff/big game yips. We are just on the other side of that argument now. You'll come around eventually. Not sure how many years you'll give him to keep failing come playoff time but you're bound to turn as well. I have faith.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What am I not being sensible about? Dak? I gave Dak almost a decade to get over his playoff/big game yips. We are just on the other side of that argument. You'll come around eventually. Not sure how many years you'll give him to keep failing come playoff time but you're bound to turn as well. I have faith.
You’re not being sensible if you think there hasn’t been a big difference between the Cowboys and Washington. You see no difference between us and them because we haven’t gotten far in the playoffs. You think sitting home for the playoffs with a bad record is the same as making the playoffs with a good record if you go one and done or don’t make the Super Bowl. That’s ridiculous! If that’s what you believe I’ll never come around to your line of thinking. The team around Dak is the problem. We’re seeing the same struggles under him that we saw when Romo was here. Penalties an inconsistent running game and a defense that doesn’t show up for the playoffs.

Last edited:

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I'd rather roll the dice on Dak getting hot at the right time for once than this front office finding a new, elite QB and building a roster around them. We've seen Dak make all the plays and throws. Dude was in the MVP conversation last year. But no one can deny he's failed to elevate the team/fallen on his face at the biggest moments. No, I don't want to pay him over $50m per year but I'm more OK with 3-5 more years with Dak than I am going back to QB purgatory, especially with the upcoming draft classes looking somewhat bleak at QB. I play a lot of poker, and it's all about managing variance. Variance dictates that at some point Dak will make a deep playoff run with the skillset that he's shown, provided the team around him is competent enough. As great as Aaron Rodgers is, he's only made one Super Bowl in his entire career. I think a lot is riding on the o-line picks hitting, and whether or not Zack Martin will play 2-3 more years.

To be clear, if I knew the FO could find an elite QB and competently build a team around them I'd be all for that. My position on Dak is as much about distrusting the front office as it is expecting that at some point variance dictates Dak can make a deep run despite almost a decade of close misses and outright implosions in the playoffs. I think some of the anti-Dak crowd fail to comprehend this sentiment and think it's just blind Dak-homerism. It's not. It's looking at the entire picture.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't think it is ridiculous to expect/want better playoff play if we are going to go.
That wasn’t what you were being ridiculous about. It’s your thinking that we’re no different than Washington because we haven’t gone deep in the playoffs or won a Super Bowl.

JBS

Reaction score
The way I see it, the choices are simple…

Give Prescott what he wants, be a contender for the next few years and hope he improves on the big stage…

OR…..

Completely blow it up and understand that they are going to be a bottom ten team until they luck into a Burrow type situation, or they become willing to hire a staff capable of winning without a top QB.

Which do you think Jerry will ultimately choose?
There is no staff capable of winning without a top qb. That doesn’t exist. And even if it did. These idiots are too dumb to assemble such a staff anyways

And I still prefer to blow it up

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Pluses and minuses pretty close to equalling each other out. The drama of him playing out the season and hitting FA would be something though

stiletto

Reaction score
That wasn’t what you were being ridiculous about. It’s your thinking that we’re no different than Washington because we haven’t gone deep in the playoffs or won a Super Bowl.
I guess I just don't care as much as you about regular season success. It has been hollow to me. A lot of Dallas's regular season success has been beating up on Washington/NY etc when they've been bad and rolling through terrible teams.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I guess I just don't care as much as you about regular season success. It has been hollow to me. A lot of Dallas's regular season success has been beating up on Washington/NY etc when they've been bad and rolling through terrible teams.
Regular season success usually leads to playoff success, but it hasn’t for the Cowboys. The main reason is because they struggle against the good teams and are never playing their best football in December and January. We peak earlier in the season, then begin to fade. The point I keep trying to drive home to you is you have to have regular season success to make the playoffs. If we could have more success later in the season against good teams, it could help carry us through the playoffs and peak at just the right time. Last season, we started looking shaky the final month of the season. We barely got past Seattle at home in a shootout, and we got lucky to beat Detroit at home. You could see an early playoff exit coming.