Do you care if we resign Dak?

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
“Dak at 25-30m / year”, “waive the clause”, “hoping Lance shows something“, all Cowboys fans fantasies in one sentence. Jerry Jones knows what Dak will get as a free agent. Dak can see free agency from where he is standing. The lack of confidence from the owner is as much as telling Dak “get out”. It’s not a matter of Dak walking. The Cowboys are walking away from Dak.

And Its about time !!

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m not sold on signing any of these core players. All of them choke in the playoffs and all of them seem mentally weak.

So to not personalize the situation with just Dak, I’m against extending Micah, CD, DLaw, etc.

Our core group of players have proven to be good regular season players and bad playoff players. What’s the point of having bad playoff players if you want to win a championship? I’d rather blow it up and hope we get more competitive players that want to win a Super Bowl as opposed to using their careers to promote their brand.

JBS

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind a full blowup if there was someone running the whole thing thats trustworthy to do it. The ‘opinion by committee’ thing doesn’t inspire confidence for me.

And yes, what you’re saying is likely true. With few exceptions, the top QBs are typically the ones there at the end.

So it’s really do we stick with Prescott at top dollar or go fish for the next one?

In the end I really don’t think it matters because this FO has no idea what they need and don’t need and when. It’s all case by case and if the player is worth their asking price. They leave gaping holes during windows to win before overpaying unless it’s an opportunity to pat themselves on the back with a guy like Steele. They would NEVER have paid a guy like him that money as a FA if he came up with a different team.

Plain and simple…Jerry and his kid don’t keep up with other players around the league and aren’t up for committing tens of millions to players they don’t know. They haven’t signed a major free agent in FOURTEEN years. Almost unfathomable. Yeah sure, they have done ok despite that, but just maybe if they took part in FA as every other team does, they could have actually won something.

They aren’t good at this, and don’t know it.

I always found it lazy to say things like “they will never win under Jerry,” but recently I’ve come to realize exactly how true that is…..and it’s not about because they care about money more than winning. They are trying to win. They just aren’t any good at it, and the organizational structure is a detriment.
Incredible write up. Well done. I agree w just about all of this. My thinking is simple. We need an elite quarterback to carry the front office. There is only one realistic way to find that guy. Even if it’s very unlikely to happen ; it’s the only likely way to do it. That’s to blow it up.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Is that a serious question? Washington has had a losing record every year since they allowed Cousins to walk except in 2022 when they went 8-8-1. They made the playoffs once since Cousins left and that was with a 7-9 record. They’ve been bad every year since he left. The Cowboys have had good competitive teams every year except for 2019 and 2020 when Dak was injured. The Cowboys have made the playoffs four times since Cousins left Washington and won the NFC East three times. While Washington was sitting home almost every season we had a chance in the playoffs. Just because we haven’t gone far in the playoffs doesn’t put us on par with Washington. We’ve had much better teams and it’s a fact! You fans who think just because the Cowboys get knocked off in the playoffs, it’s no different than a team that didn’t make the playoffs. That’s ridiculous!

You obviously missed the point .

Point : Both have gone nowhere near the SB . Yet we draft 26-30 and Washington has been drafting 3-15 . Sooner or later those picks will cash in , maybe even this year . yet Ignorant Davidians love waving their pom poms to see Dak CHOKE year in year out

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm to the point of not resigning him just to show this board how it feels to go 5-12 for four or five years and shut them up about it and let them complain that we don't have a QB that can get us a winning record. All the threads on Dak and hatred of him get old. Maybe start a thread on "How Jerry Jones the owner should fire Jerry Jones the GM", we don't have enough of those either.......LOL....
The notion we cant win with anyone but dak is ... well sorry....stupid. You dont know that
Only saying it to really show them whats what.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You obviously missed the point .

Point : Both have gone nowhere near the SB . Yet we draft 26-30 and Washington has been drafting 3-15 . Sooner or later those picks will cash in , maybe even this year . yet Ignorant Davidians love waving their pom poms to see Dak CHOKE year in year out
The point he’s trying to make is we’re no different than Washington despite the fact we’ve had much better teams and have made the playoffs almost every year. He thinks because we haven’t gotten far in the playoffs we’re no different than Washington who’s been missing the playoffs, which is ridiculous! If you agree, you’re no more logical than him. Washington has been drafting 3-15 for a number of years and where has it gotten them? They’ve been stuck in the same rut for years because they haven’t found a QB. We’ve been drafting much later and have built better teams. Our roster is almost always rated in the top five. Go see where their roster is rated despite the higher draft picks.

stiletto

Reaction score
The point he’s trying to make is we’re no different than Washington despite the fact we’ve had much better teams and have made the playoffs almost every year. He thinks because we haven’t gotten far in the playoffs we’re no different than Washington who’s been missing the playoffs, which is ridiculous! If you agree, you’re no more logical than him. Washington has been drafting 3-15 for a number of years and where has it gotten them? We’ve been drafting much later and have built better teams. Our roster is almost always rated in the top five. Go see where their roster is rated despite the higher draft picks.
What's the goal of a NFL season?

How are we different than Washington in meeting that goal since Kirk Cousins left?

That's not illogical, it's the truth. The minutia in the middle is worthless. Both teams are doing it wrong ULTIMATELY. Obvious fact.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I don't care if we do or don't sign Dak and here is why:
1) Roger Staubach was taken in the 12th round.
2) Joe Montana was taken at the end of the third round
3) Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round
4) Tony Romo and Kurt Warner went undrafted
5) Dak Prescott was taken in the 4th round.
So much for how smart the guys doing the drafting. Everyone who says "fans aren't as smart as the professionals" hasn't ever actually paid attention to what some of these professionals have done.

So lets get to more recent QB comparisions:
Jimmy G was drafted in NE and was behind GOAT Tom.
2018 he is traded to SF --- 2019 lost the Superbowl
2020 Franchise QB JG to the IR with ankle injury
2021 13-3 and lost in the championship game
2022 Lost starter to Trey Lance who went out in Game 2, so from there to game 13 he starts, and then gets injured. Mr Irrelevant Brock Purdy who was drafted in 2021 goes in and the team ends up losing in the championship game
2023 -- Franchise QB Jimmy G to the Raiders -- Trey Lance to the Cowboys -- Mr Irrelevant lost in the Superbowl to the Chiefs.

QB's are important, but with the proper coaching and GM and a little luck.........it is not impossible to find a good QB that can get you past the first round.

Why is Jerry and many fans, so scared of not having a comfortable Qb, and not thinking you can find another.

I get the Washington comparison. In the end neither team has done anything in years, so do better and find better players/coaches/front office -- whatever it takes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What's the goal of a NFL season?

How are we different than Washington in meeting that goal since Kirk Cousins left?

That's not illogical, it's the truth. The minutia in the middle is worthless. Both teams are doing it wrong ULTIMATELY. Obvious fact.
The goal is to win your division, make the playoffs and hopefully advance to the Super Bowl. If you can’t see the difference between the Cowboys and Washington you’re just wasting my time. I’m starting to wonder if someone didn’t hijack your account because you used to be much better than this. You’ve become no different than some of the others I’ve been wasting time with.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The goal is to win your division, make the playoffs and hopefully advance to the Super Bowl. If you can’t see the difference between the Cowboys and Washington you’re just wasting my time. I’m starting to wonder if someone didn’t hijack your account because you used to be much better than this.
lol...and tell him not to bother you again!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I get a sense that man Cowboys fans are either ambivalent or against resigning Dak to an extension.
I think many, myself included, would like to keep Dak but the price point, $55-$60 million a year just seems crazy to reward someone who hasn't produced much tangible success with that type of deal.
We are a better team with him but nothing has shown us that he is worth that investment.
At this point, we can just let it ride out and deal with the future after the season.
I care because I want Dak to get resigned because their are so many of his fans that I don't want them disappointed, bless their little hearts. Screw the Cowboys, just get him signed.

stiletto

Reaction score
The goal is to win your division, make the playoffs and hopefully advance to the Super Bowl. If you can’t see the difference between the Cowboys and Washington you’re just wasting my time.
That's NOT the goal of a NFL season. That's a sub-standard "regular season champion" mentality goal. The goal is to win the Super Bowl and not just be hopeful about it. You talk to any NFL player and their goal is to win a championship. If it isn't, they gotta go..

I see the difference between the teams but it is only a large difference if your goals and standards are low barred like yours seem to be. How many Regular Season Ticker-tape parades have you attended since Kirk Cousins left Washington? LOL! No one cares..

Flamma

Reaction score
Those that don’t care if we re-sign Dak either honestly believe he’s no good or could care less if the Cowboys go in the dumpster for a number of years. I’m hearing a lot of fans on this board saying they’re willing to take the risk of moving on from him and seeing what happens. I’m not willing to end up like Washington has since they elected to move on from Kirk Cousins. He’s far from perfect, but he’s pretty good and kept them competitive. There’s a reason he’s still around making big money. It’s because it’s very difficult to find a solid QB. You have teams using high first round picks that are over drafting QBs that shouldn’t have ever been a first round pick because the need is so great. That’s the risk the Cowboys take by not re-signing Dak. If you’re just looking to Dak bash and have nothing intelligent to say, then don’t bother responding to this post.
I agree with 95% of everything you said. I just think if you put a good team around any decent to average QB, you can make the playoffs. You don't need to pay 60M a year for that. We can probably win 9-10 games with Geno Smith or Mayfield.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The goal is to win your division, make the playoffs and hopefully advance to the Super Bowl. If you can’t see the difference between the Cowboys and Washington you’re just wasting my time. I’m starting to wonder if someone didn’t hijack your account because you used to be much better than this. You’ve become no different than some of the others I’ve been wasting time with.
Hello there Mr. Con Decending.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Dak shot himself in the ankle with his latest remarks about this foot health, the question is if Jerry was listening?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's NOT the goal of a NFL season. That's a sub-standard "regular season champion" mentality goal. The goal is to win the Super Bowl and not just be hopeful about it. You talk to any NFL player and their goal is to win a championship. If it isn't, they gotta go..

I see the difference between the teams but it is only a large difference if your goals and standards are low barred like yours seem to be. How many Regular Season Ticker-tape parades have you attended since Kirk Cousins left Washington? LOL! No one cares..
If you consider every season a failure because you didn’t reach or win the Super Bowl, then there’s 30 teams that are failing every year. You have to take some satisfaction in winning your division and making the playoffs consistently each year. If you see no difference between the Cowboys and a team that’s suffering losing seasons every year then I feel sorry for you.