Do you care if we resign Dak?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don’t disagree. I’ve been enjoying your words lately btw. Good stuff.

This roster is not to where it needs to be completely blown up IMO. I am also not of the thought that it is impossible for Dak Prescott to eventually have playoff success (although asking him to do more with less probably won’t add up, hence the frustration).

But what’s the middle ground exactly? Some Teddy Bridgewater type of QB that only makes 25-30 million? What would they do with the savings? Maybe buy a real DT finally?

I can’t see how Trey Lance is the answer either or, barring disaster, how they will ever find out.

Whether it’s ultimately the right or wrong decision, I have a tough time thinking that Jerry is going to do something other than bringing back Prescott, and the longer he waits the more costly it’s going to be.

On the other hand, with Prescott being this close to UFA, I can see why he won’t accept anything lower than a market setting deal, and I can also see why butt hurt Jerry doesn’t want to give it to him. The team isn’t at all in a great spot…as far as on the field success.
That's a fair point....Moving on from a $60M QB doesn't always mean you'll save $60M as you still have to pay someone to play QB or try to hit on a rookie deal. Still though even around half of that money lets you sign around 4 average to above average free agents. You in theory could have signed RB Derrick Henry ($8M AAV), DT DJ Reader (11m AAV) and still had another $11M+ to shop with for LB or Oline help.

Does that plus a Garner Minshew type keep you hanging around the rim? Personally I think it's at least a reasonable option Jerry would have if Dak plays hardball, and probably a more realistic scenario than full rebuild for an owner in his 80s. Of course history is certainly on the side of your argument that Jerry will end up caving to whatever Dak demands.

stiletto

Reaction score
Regular season success usually leads to playoff success, but it hasn’t for the Cowboys. The main reason is because they struggle against the good teams and are never playing their best football in December and January. We peak earlier in the season, then begin to fade. The point I keep trying to drive home to you is you have to have regular season success to make the playoffs. If we could have more success later in the season against good teams, it could help carry us through the playoffs and peak at just the right time. Last season, we started looking shaky the final month of the season. We barely got past Seattle at home in a shootout, and we got lucky to beat Detroit at home. You could see an early playoff exit coming.
There's a lot of reasons why the team fails. It's organizational but at the same time, Jerry/Stephen and all the people we hate in the front office don't blow coverages, go 3 and out, drop simple passes, and throw pick 6's on simple WR screen passes down 20-0 or w/e it was. They can win regular season games and pay players a lot less than some of those non-clutch clowns are getting.

Why pay these guys top 3 position $$ when they suck against the better teams? I'm not saying don't pay anyone I just get why they may not want to. They can win enough regular season games without a $50+ million dollar QB that becomes a deer in headlights in the playoffs. They already proved they could and WHAT IF the new QB played better in the playoffs? There is a possibility, you can't just dismiss it with a broad brush stroke.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There's a lot of reasons why the team fails. It's organizational but at the same time, Jerry/Stephen and all the people we hate in the front office don't blow coverages, go 3 and out, drop simple passes, and throw pick 6's on simple WR screen passes down 20-0 or w/e it was. They can win regular season games and pay players a lot less than some of those non-clutch clowns are getting. Why pay these guys top 3 position $$ when they suck against the better teams? I'm not saying don't pay anyone I just get why they may not want to. They can win enough regular season games without a $50+ million dollar QB that becomes a deer in headlights in the playoffs. They already proved they could.
There are a lot of reasons why the team fails and the last reason has been their QB. You have a majority of fans here who seem to think if we replace our QB…BINGO! They’re wrong! We’re never going anywhere regardless the QB until we build a great playoff defense, have a consistent, running game and knock off the stupid penalties that keep shooting us in the foot. We’ve had teams that don’t look motivated for the playoffs. You have a lot of players that care more about their brand than winning a championship. We’ve exhausted this.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Regular season success usually leads to playoff success, but it hasn’t for the Cowboys. The main reason is because they struggle against the good teams and are never playing their best football in December and January. We peak earlier in the season, then begin to fade. The point I keep trying to drive home to you is you have to have regular season success to make the playoffs. If we could have more success later in the season against good teams, it could help carry us through the playoffs and peak at just the right time. Last season, we started looking shaky the final month of the season. We barely got past Seattle at home in a shootout, and we got lucky to beat Detroit at home. You could see an early playoff exit coming.
This is exactly where I struggle to see the optimism with the team in its current state.... at least from a standpoint of more playoff success. I just don't believe this is a luck issue about when this team peaks. We often glamorize the quarterback position, but ultimately if you struggle with the run game on both sides of the football you're not likely to have a ton of success in the NFL after thanksgiving. Until a real commitment comes to filling out this roster I just don't think it matters who the quarterback is.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There is no staff capable of winning without a top qb. That doesn’t exist. And even if it did. These idiots are too dumb to assemble such a staff anyways

And I still prefer to blow it up
I wouldn’t mind a full blowup if there was someone running the whole thing thats trustworthy to do it. The ‘opinion by committee’ thing doesn’t inspire confidence for me.

And yes, what you’re saying is likely true. With few exceptions, the top QBs are typically the ones there at the end.

So it’s really do we stick with Prescott at top dollar or go fish for the next one?

In the end I really don’t think it matters because this FO has no idea what they need and don’t need and when. It’s all case by case and if the player is worth their asking price. They leave gaping holes during windows to win before overpaying unless it’s an opportunity to pat themselves on the back with a guy like Steele. They would NEVER have paid a guy like him that money as a FA if he came up with a different team.

Plain and simple…Jerry and his kid don’t keep up with other players around the league and aren’t up for committing tens of millions to players they don’t know. They haven’t signed a major free agent in FOURTEEN years. Almost unfathomable. Yeah sure, they have done ok despite that, but just maybe if they took part in FA as every other team does, they could have actually won something.

They aren’t good at this, and don’t know it.

I always found it lazy to say things like “they will never win under Jerry,” but recently I’ve come to realize exactly how true that is…..and it’s not about because they care about money more than winning. They are trying to win. They just aren’t any good at it, and the organizational structure is a detriment.

Reactions: JBS

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This is a good question. You can argue about Dak being a SB capable QB but you can’t argue that he isn’t a professional QB. Team has a better chance of winning now with him. Finding a replacement is an unknown. If you sign him you have a shot. If he leaves we are truly at the mercy of this organization developing a new QB. Personally I am ready for a change and the pain that will come with that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is exactly where I struggle to see the optimism with the team in its current state.... at least from a standpoint of more playoff success. I just don't believe this is a luck issue about when this team peaks. We often glamorize the quarterback position, but ultimately if you struggle with the run game on both sides of the football you're not likely to have a ton of success in the NFL after thanksgiving. Until a real commitment comes to filling out this roster I just don't think it matters who the quarterback is.
We have to fix the defense and the running game. We have to come up with a defense that can consistently stop the run in big games and put pressure on the QB. We can’t stop the run and our pass rush disappears in the playoffs. We have repeated defensive breakdowns. We leave receivers wide open. We have tackling issues and commit stupid penalties. The QB isn’t going to matter with those ongoing issues.

Forneymike

Reaction score
I get a sense that man Cowboys fans are either ambivalent or against resigning Dak to an extension.
I think many, myself included, would like to keep Dak but the price point, $55-$60 million a year just seems crazy to reward someone who hasn't produced much tangible success with that type of deal.
We are a better team with him but nothing has shown us that he is worth that investment.
At this point, we can just let it ride out and deal with the future after the season.
I'm to the point of not resigning him just to show this board how it feels to go 5-12 for four or five years and shut them up about it and let them complain that we don't have a QB that can get us a winning record. All the threads on Dak and hatred of him get old. Maybe start a thread on "How Jerry Jones the owner should fire Jerry Jones the GM", we don't have enough of those either.......LOL....

stiletto

Reaction score
We have to fix the defense and the running game. We have to come up with a defense that can consistently stop the run in big games and put pressure on the QB. We can’t stop the run and our pass rush disappears in the playoffs. We have repeated defensive breakdowns. We leave receivers wide open. We have tackling issues and commit stupid penalties. The QB isn’t going to matter with those ongoing issues.
What happened in the 2022 Divisional Playoff? They held the 49ers to 19 on the road that game. I agree that we need a more consistent defense but the league isn't about Defense anymore... you gotta be able to score in the playoffs. Dak goes into a shell unless it is a raggedy team. How many years does he get a pass?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What happened in the 2022 Divisional Playoff? They held the 49ers to 19 on the road that game. I agree that we need a more consistent defense but the league isn't about Defense anymore... you gotta be able to score in the playoffs. Dak goes into a shell unless it is a raggedy team. How many years does he get a pass?
I’ve been through that game multiple times. That’s the only playoff game we’ve lost under Dak where our defense played respectable. That loss was all on Dak. The league isn’t about your defense having to hold for 4 quarters but it is about making critical stops in big games and holding teams to FG‘s instead of TDs. It’s about getting takeaways, which is what we do against bad teams, but we can’t get any against the good teams. The league is about pressuring the QB. Everything that needs to be done defensively in the playoffs to advance and win a championship we’re not doing.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I get a sense that man Cowboys fans are either ambivalent or against resigning Dak to an extension.
I think many, myself included, would like to keep Dak but the price point, $55-$60 million a year just seems crazy to reward someone who hasn't produced much tangible success with that type of deal.
We are a better team with him but nothing has shown us that he is worth that investment.
At this point, we can just let it ride out and deal with the future after the season.
Of course i am.

Sign him to 3mil/anno as our backup qb. He can battle fo4 2nd place.

If he doesnt get it, cut him. He can walk over me with his walking Boot. Cause those are for walking....

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Well well WHO ARE YOU going to replace him with!!? Lol

stiletto

Reaction score
I’ve been through that game multiple times. That’s the only playoff game we’ve lost under Dak where our defense played respectable. That loss was all on Dak. The league isn’t about your defense having to hold for 4 quarters but it is about making critical stops in big games and holding teams to FG‘s instead of TDs. It’s about getting takeaways, which is what we do against bad teams, but we can’t get any against the good teams. The league is about pressuring the QB. Everything that needs to be done defensively in the playoffs to advance and win a championship we’re not doing.
It's not just the Defense... The Offense under Dak against the better teams is and has been suspect not just in the playoffs. The sample size is too large with him. He's had his chances. Almost a decade. I didn't turn on him right away. I gave him plenty of opportunities to get over the hump as fan. The Defense is just the excuse for his apologists. It's confirmation bias at this point when it is obvious it is time to try something else at the expense of "possibly" sucking for a couple years. There's also a chance they find someone more clutch. It can definitely happen.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The way I see it, the choices are simple…

Give Prescott what he wants, be a contender for the next few years and hope he improves on the big stage…

OR…..

Completely blow it up and understand that they are going to be a bottom ten team until they luck into a Burrow type situation, or they become willing to hire a staff capable of winning without a top QB.

Which do you think Jerry will ultimately choose?
Burrow type situation you do realize Dak was a 4th rounder and Romo was undrafted!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's not just the Defense... The Offense under Dak against the better teams is and has been suspect not just in the playoffs. The sample size is too large with him. He's had his chances. Almost a decade. I didn't turn on him right away. I gave him plenty of opportunities to get over the hump as fan. The Defense is just the excuse for his apologists. It's confirmation bias at this point when it is obvious it is time to try something else at the expense of "possibly" sucking for a couple years. There's also a chance they find someone more clutch. It can definitely happen.
You’re just one of those that’s fixated on Dak. You keep going right back to him. I’ve spent enough time with this.

pitt33

Reaction score
Those that don’t care if we re-sign Dak either honestly believe he’s no good or could care less if the Cowboys go in the dumpster for a number of years. I’m hearing a lot of fans on this board saying they’re willing to take the risk of moving on from him and seeing what happens. I’m not willing to end up like Washington has since they elected to move on from Kirk Cousins. He’s far from perfect, but he’s pretty good and kept them competitive. There’s a reason he’s still around making big money. It’s because it’s very difficult to find a solid QB. You have teams using high first round picks that are over drafting QBs that shouldn’t have ever been a first round pick because the need is so great. That’s the risk the Cowboys take by not re-signing Dak. If you’re just looking to Dak bash and have nothing intelligent to say, then don’t bother responding to this post.
You keep repeating that we can’t find another quarterback and that Prescott is our best option. He is the best quarterback on this roster right now. The thing is he can be replaced. But I too have my doubts on this FO being able to find a competent quarterback. After all, Jerry wanted Manzel.

It’s time to move on. It may suck for a few years but he’s maxed out. The man suffers from severe performance anxiety on the big stage. And it’s not going to get any better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You keep repeating that we can’t find another quarterback and that Prescott is our best option.
I never said we can’t find another QB. Some of you can’t comprehend anything I say. I said it’s going to be difficult to find one better anytime soon. He’s our best option right now. Every team finds a solid QB eventually, but it can take years. I’m not saying it will with the Cowboys, so don’t get it twisted.