Do you draft a WR with the 19'th pick?

kskboys

Reaction score
Red flag? That's reserved for player that has a severe injury, has been in trouble with the law, can't get along with teammates, etc.

His age should be a mitigating factor, but it's hardly a big deal...
Yeah, since Ridley is NFL ready, his age is a non factor. When you draft a player, you plan on getting 5-8 years from him, and if he's good, you'll get at least that.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think there is plenty of depth in the WR draft class, just not much in the way of a sure-fire no. 1. I think it makes sense to grab a receiver in the 3-5 rounds to groom as TWill's replacement.

At the risk of creating a knee-jerk reaction, I think there is better quality TE's with 2nd and 3rd round grades than there are WR. I wonder, quite honestly, whether the offense would benefit more from an upgrade at TE vs WR.
No, it wouldn't. WR's make your TE effective by stretching the field.

2nd round. That's where the value is, but we'd prolly have to trade up. I'm thinking the WR's are going to start flying off the boards late 1st early 2nd. If we want a good one, we might have to go WR w/ our first.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
No, it wouldn't. WR's make your TE effective by stretching the field.

2nd round. That's where the value is, but we'd prolly have to trade up. I'm thinking the WR's are going to start flying off the boards late 1st early 2nd. If we want a good one, we might have to go WR w/ our first.

I think the likes of DJ Chark would be there when we are otc at #50, Deon Cain at # 81

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think there is plenty of depth in the WR draft class, just not much in the way of a sure-fire no. 1. I think it makes sense to grab a receiver in the 3-5 rounds to groom as TWill's replacement.

At the risk of creating a knee-jerk reaction, I think there is better quality TE's with 2nd and 3rd round grades than there are WR. I wonder, quite honestly, whether the offense would benefit more from an upgrade at TE vs WR.
i agree i like Geiske or Dallas G, might be worth a 2nd round reach

Rayman70

Reaction score
I want DJ MOORE really bad. I think we may have to over draft him to get him though. He wont be around at 50. So if Sutton,Ridley and Hernandez are all off the board at 19..I trade back several spots then take Moore. He has everything you want in a receiver. He doesn't do any 1 thing super well...he is basically Steve Smith and if I had to hang my hat on 1 thing I love about him,it would be his YAC yards. He is really special at turning a 2 yard out into extra yards. We simply do not have a guy on the roster like that.

Tristan

Reaction score
Interesting...
Way to leave out the sentence directly before it which gave the statement context. Its clear my point was that some form their strong opinions regarding a player based only on what theyve read others say and dont actually watch highlights or games leading to an ignorant (lack of knowledge) and flawed point of view. Sometimes u can just tell. Just as flawed as someone posting a piece of a statement to make things look the way they want them to, interseting, dumb but interesting

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way to leave out the sentence directly before it which gave the statement context. Its clear my point was that some form their strong opinions regarding a player based only on what theyve read others say and dont actually watch highlights or games leading to an ignorant (lack of knowledge) and flawed point of view. Sometimes u can just tell. Just as flawed as someone posting a piece of a statement to make things look the way they want them to, interseting, dumb but interesting

I was agreeing with you.

I had just made a similar comment to the same poster a couple of days earlier.

People that keep referencing scouting reports as fact are the ones that don't watch the game footage for themselves or don't know what they're seeing if they do see some footage.

Tristan

Reaction score
I was agreeing with you.

People that keep referencing scouting reports as fact are the ones that don't watch the game footage for themselves or don't know what they're seeing if they do see some footage.
My bad,
I love to read about everbody and I love to hear others educated opinions too, but I wont comment on players I havent watched closely. Like when I go back and watch Ridley I notice he's always bracketed and never covered by one player, I also notice the seperation is instantanious and definative. Never seen him drop a ball despite weak qb play.

I remember a few weeks back a few people were saying Quinten Nelson was overrated and I was thinking theres no way anybody actually watched this dude and focused on him would say that as he just jumps off the screen, throws fools like ragdolls and swats blitzers down like dikembe.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My bad,
I love to read about everbody and I love to hear others educated opinions too, but I wont comment on players I havent watched closely. Like when I go back and watch Ridley I notice he's always bracketed and never covered by one player, I also notice the seperation is instantanious and definative. Never seen him drop a ball despite weak qb play.

I remember a few weeks back a few people were saying Quinten Nelson was overrated and I was thinking theres no way anybody actually watched this dude and focused on him would say that as he just jumps off the screen, throws fools like ragdolls and swats blitzers down like dikembe.

Keep up the good work.

In looking at other posts I might have been too harsh on that poster, but too many references to what the reports said is distracting. It's best to have your own opinion and just use the reports to compare what you see.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My bad,

Another point. People now have the luxury of being able to find game footage of players on the internet and it's often cut-ups to show just that player.

Back when I started following the draft, you only had what you might have seen on TV and then really only if you recorded it to VHS.

There would be a few plays shown on ESPN draft segments but not that much.

Draft reports were the primary source of draft info. Those reports might have been better because they were not competing with bloggers bit it was still just reports by somebody else.

Not watching players for yourself today is like being Amish and using horse drawn buggies when cars are available.

Mr_437

Reaction score
For Dallas and for Dak, DJ Moore has to be Cowboys top WR. Nothing against Ridley, but Moore is exactly what this team needs at WR.

I'm starting to question if Moore will be there at 19, tbh. If that's the case, good, need some front 7 help.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
WR has historically been a position that takes a bit to develop.

Antonio Brown caught 16 passes as a rookie.
Dez caught 45
OBJ rare rookie star with 91
Julio Jones 54
DeAndre Hopkins 52
AJ Green 65

These are all guys who are really friggin good.

Would fans be OK with pick 19 getting us 55 receptions as the WR2?
I suspect not.

This WR class is solid in rounds 2-4 imho but lacks that top end freak.
Ridley is really thin and has just ok hands and yes he's a bit older... you can get Sammy Watkins who's 24 in FA and has 4 years experience in NFL or draft Ridley who's 23??

I'd really like to see a rd 2 or rd 3 WR. But if a WR is top guy on your board I guess it is what it is.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
WR has historically been a position that takes a bit to develop.

Antonio Brown caught 16 passes as a rookie.
Dez caught 45
OBJ rare rookie star with 91
Julio Jones 54
DeAndre Hopkins 52
AJ Green 65

These are all guys who are really friggin good.

Would fans be OK with pick 19 getting us 55 receptions as the WR2?
I suspect not.

This WR class is solid in rounds 2-4 imho but lacks that top end freak.
Ridley is really thin and has just ok hands and yes he's a bit older... you can get Sammy Watkins who's 24 in FA and has 4 years experience in NFL or draft Ridley who's 23??

I'd really like to see a rd 2 or rd 3 WR. But if a WR is top guy on your board I guess it is what it is.

I’d tend to agree. Dallas is a run-first team and the OL has issues that need to be addressed first to keep that identity intact imo. The class has good talent that can be had in later rounds to develop into quality guys. There’s no true #1 WR prospect this year imo.

KDM256

Reaction score
Unless that WR can shoot the gap and collapsed the pocket then yeah why not?!?!. If the WR cant do that, then I'll pass on selecting a WR at 19.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was agreeing with you.

I've observed the opposite, mostly on the DC.com site. The posters who get their player analyzations strictly from watching are generally off on their evaluations. I doubt if there's more than a couple people round here who can actually watch themselves and come up w/ accurate evaluations. Most are better reading scouting reports. However, most get their take from some spewing head on TV, and that's just entertainment and shouldn't be given all that much credence.

J12B

Reaction score
There is no way Ridley falls to us at 19. Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, and Washington, Baltimore all need WR help. That 50 50 talk is way off base.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Unless one of the top defensive players on our board falls to us at #19, I can see us going OG in the first round.