CZ POLL Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
nope.... Im just kind of ambivalent towards MM. It was time for JG to go, but I would have preferred Urban Myer... at the minimum Id like to have seen him interviewed. I hope he is a great person to coach us, but we will have to wait and see.
Exactly. We have to wait and see. We don't know. I'm optimistic.

Aven8

Reaction score
Watching the McCarthy video with Peter King, he said Bill Parcells said that young coaches don’t know anything about running a program yet. They are good at offense or defense, but don’t know how to run a program until they’ve done it. That carries a lot and if I had my bet, Jerry and Stephen spoke with Bill about this.

Also, heard Sturm talking about him today really got me excited.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm on the "anyone but Garrett" train, so McCarthy is an upgrade in that sense, but he's not a great hire at all.

I used to refer to him as the Jason Garrett of the NFC North. A lazy coach who recycled the same offense year after year, stayed hands-off during the week and was no better than mediocre on Sunday. His failings were clear for years, but the only reason he kept his job for 10 seasons is that he always had a 1st ballot HOF quarterback dragging the team to 8-10 wins a season, and that created "sTaBiLiTy" in the minds of the front office. No, it was just a talented roster underachieving due to the uninspired and lazy coaching staff coordinating them. As soon as Green Bay brought a new HC who installed a new offense, LaFleur went 13-3 with basically the same roster McCarthy had in 2018, and that was with Rodgers playing at his worst level in a decade.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm on the "anyone but Garrett" train, so McCarthy is an upgrade in that sense, but he's not a great hire at all.

I used to refer to him as the Jason Garrett of the NFC North. A lazy coach who recycled the same offense year after year, stayed hands-off during the week and was no better than mediocre on Sunday. His failings were clear for years, but the only reason he kept his job for 10 seasons is that he always had a 1st ballot HOF quarterback dragging the team to 8-10 wins a season, and that created "sTaBiLiTy" in the minds of the front office. No, it was just a talented roster underachieving due to the uninspired and lazy coaching staff coordinating them. As soon as Green Bay brought a new HC who installed a new offense, LaFleur went 13-3 with basically the same roster McCarthy had in 2018, and that was with Rodgers playing at his worst level in a decade.
no way..... he has a SB win. That right there makes him elite......smh

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Im over the shock of the quick hire and liking it more and more....hopeful...and feels a lot better than it did 2 weeks ago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The argument against Meyer you could have used 100% on Jimmy Johnson.
True and Jimmy had a rep with questionable guys at OSU and Miami.

But besides his success, who is the last college HC to come into the NFL as do anything but get the hell out and back to college? Saban, Petrino bolted before the contract was up and Spurrier as soon as his 5M a year deal was up. College coaches weren't getting that kind of dough back then.

There is a reason why the NFL coaches are thought to be better than the college ones because one a more even playing field, coaching matters more. That limited 45 gameday roster is a challenge for the best NFL coaches, the college guys are all about recruiting and having 60 on game day and 80 to pull from to get their 60.

And today's NFL has become the players wagging the dog because of the amount of money involved. Let's see a NFL HC suspend a star player for breaking the rules.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True and Jimmy had a rep with questionable guys at OSU and Miami.

But besides his success, who is the last college HC to come into the NFL as do anything but get the hell out and back to college? Saban, Petrino bolted before the contract was up and Spurrier as soon as his 5M a year deal was up. College coaches weren't getting that kind of dough back then.

There is a reason why the NFL coaches are thought to be better than the college ones because one a more even playing field, coaching matters more. That limited 45 gameday roster is a challenge for the best NFL coaches, the college guys are all about recruiting and having 60 on game day and 80 to pull from to get their 60.

And today's NFL has become the players wagging the dog because of the amount of money involved. Let's see a NFL HC suspend a star player for breaking the rules.
Don’t forget about Barry off the couch bootleggers son Switzer Baby.. lol
th

Hadenough

Reaction score
Im actually starting to like the McCarthy hire. I feel like he is a legitmate head coach! Something this team hasnt has since Parcells. I really like the Mike Nolan hire. Ive always thought he was a pretty good defensive coordinator.

TheHerd

Reaction score
My memories of him are game management issues similar to Garrett. Am I wrong?

Praxit

Reaction score
...hey guys..... No More Clapping!! Isnt it great? ;)...

droopdog7

Reaction score
It's a win now, conservative move. More about your expectations and philosophy than the actual person being hired. I understand the hire, thus, am okay with it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My memories of him are game management issues similar to Garrett. Am I wrong?

I read something about a particular key game they lost in overtime that he got a lot of flak for, but I don't know that it was an ongoing thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.