Do you think Jerry wants to win before he dies

terra

Reaction score
Once he was enshrined in the Hall of Fame, and he built a business juggernaut that is too big to fail, the desire to get a trophy went away. He prefers to be a celebrity, and if a win goes along with that, he's happy. As long as they are "relevant" (his word choice), he doesn't care what the result is. As long as he is the face of the operation, it works for him.
I think that is dead on. He is like a politician telling the voters what they want to hear. He says again and again he WANTS to win and look how many here continue to defend him.

He wants to win but it is NOT THAT IMPORTANT to him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry wants to win but he just doesn't know how.
Jerry does not want to win. He knows his way does not work, but insists on it. What makes you say he wants to win? Data sure points at the exact opposite.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think everybody's got it yes he wants to win Jerry's way

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Serious question…

Do you think Jerry wants to win a Super Bowl again before he passes….he’s getting pretty old now

My guess is he is comfortable living in the past
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Before the game they showed Jerry Jones more than the players on the field. Its all about him. You can never when in team sports with that business model.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Then someone needs to be called into account for the horrific Joseph pick and the failure to build a championship type DLine. Who it is, irrelevant. However, since Jerry is the GM, it is on him no matter what is done, good or bad. He chose this position.
I mean, come on ksk, you don't think Jerry (of all people) was the person who personally evaluated Joseph, do you?
That is Will Clay (and staff) with influence from Dan Quinn.
But also, the same applies for Micah Parsons and Diggs, etc

Will Clay and his team builds the draft and FA files for the Cowboys, and has done so for years.
They have a vast database of all NFL players (not just FAs), with a grade applied to each one.
Now, maybe that value applied is not correct. But that's another story
Most think Dallas drafts well, btw.

Brax

Reaction score
Serious question…

Do you think Jerry wants to win a Super Bowl again before he passes….he’s getting pretty old now

My guess is he is comfortable living in the past
only on his terms and he gets all the credit.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
He wants to win but he wants full recognition that he is more important than the Dallas Cowboys.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
He only wants to win if it's his way. Since he knows his way doesn't work and he won't change...I can only conclude that no, he does not want to win before he dies.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think Jerry is just delusional anymore. If he really wanted to win he would hand the GM job to someone who knows what he's doing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He would like to win another Super Bowl before he dies but he won’t. I’m not even sure he’ll live long enough to see another divisional round win in the playoffs. I feel pretty sure he and the other jughead knew the team would have trouble competing with this offense. They didn’t want to pay players this year and now they’re paying a heavier price. It’s going to be a very long season.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean, come on ksk, you don't think Jerry (of all people) was the person who personally evaluated Joseph, do you?
That is Will Clay (and staff) with influence from Dan Quinn.
But also, the same applies for Micah Parsons and Diggs, etc

Will Clay and his team builds the draft and FA files for the Cowboys, and has done so for years.
They have a vast database of all NFL players (not just FAs), with a grade applied to each one.
Now, maybe that value applied is not correct. But that's another story
Most think Dallas drafts well, btw.

It's bizarre that you are this defensive of the set up. Jerry is in fact the GM. He makes final decisions along with his son. McClay is a glorified head scout, paper pusher who takes the info from the coaches, meshes it with the info from the scouts and builds a board and presents the data to the two Jones.

If Jerry Jones woke up this morning and said we need Will Fuller and Ty Hilton in camp today, guess what? They are in camp today.

The structure they have in the front office continues to fail. I have 26 years of evidence. Jerry could change the trajectory of this franchise in an instant if he wanted by stating he and his son are now backing off the football personnel moves and hiring a legitimate GM, who like many GMs in this league, has the power to make moves without having to the owner every second for approval.

And in reality, the Cowboys need to do better than just draft "well". They have to draft better than well. Because they openly admit FA is a non-starter for them and that they build their team, get their playmakers through the draft. Well that means they need at least 2-3 immediate impact players from every draft. They certainly do not do that. They draft well enough that if they weren't such dumbshits in FA, they could likely build a really talented, SB caliber team. But they don't.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He desperately wants to win
Anyone that knows Jerry thinks that anyone that thinks otherwise has no clue.
Extremely competitive man

If people want to argue that he is delusional and goes about it the wrong way....that his teams are usually a "B" and sometimes a "B+" but will never be an "A" or A+", well, I won't argue.
But oh yeah, he wants to win.

We'll see what he does about the QB situation, because you can't win with Cooper Rush.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's bizarre that you are this defensive of the set up. Jerry is in fact the GM. He makes final decisions along with his son. McClay is a glorified head scout, paper pusher who takes the info from the coaches, meshes it with the info from the scouts and builds a board and presents the data to the two Jones.

If Jerry Jones woke up this morning and said we need Will Fuller and Ty Hilton in camp today, guess what? They are in camp today.

The structure they have in the front office continues to fail. I have 26 years of evidence. Jerry could change the trajectory of this franchise in an instant if he wanted by stating he and his son are now backing off the football personnel moves and hiring a legitimate GM, who like many GMs in this league, has the power to make moves without having to the owner every second for approval.

And in reality, the Cowboys need to do better than just draft "well". They have to draft better than well. Because they openly admit FA is a non-starter for them and that they build their team, get their playmakers through the draft. Well that means they need at least 2-3 immediate impact players from every draft. They certainly do not do that. They draft well enough that if they weren't such dumbshits in FA, they could likely build a really talented, SB caliber team. But they don't.
I'm just applying logic.
I've never---not once--been a fan of jerry as GM

But I just really dont think he is the GM anymore.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm just applying logic.
I've never---not once--been a fan of jerry as GM

But I just really dont think he is the GM anymore.

You are not applying logic.

Jerry and Stephen make the final calls here. They decide who gets signed in FA. They decide how much to spend. They decide who to draft. Yes, they take input from McClay but at the end of the day, the vision/the blueprint of the team, how it's built is decided by Jerry and Stephen.

I mean even if he isn't the "GM" he's still way too involved in decisions and he, and he alone, could blow the whole thing up and revamp the front office into a more traditional style front office with a real GM. He chooses not to because at the end of the day, he may want to win, but he wants to win where he gets the praise and glory. He doesn't want another situation where fans and experts look at his success and claim it was largely due to someone else.

DFWJC

Reaction score
We'll see what he does about the QB situation, because you can't win with Cooper Rush.
I agree.
But what are the options at QB?
Maybe Mason Rudolph at best? (I'm assuming Jimmy G is not available unless we wish to spend a 1st rounder....2nd at least)
Grier or Rush at worst?

Neither case looks that great.

If its just 3-4 games, they still have a chance to later win a few games, but its looking bleak.
Fwiw, it's not like this team was going to win the whole thing this year even with Dak.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry does not want to win. He knows his way does not work, but insists on it. What makes you say he wants to win? Data sure points at the exact opposite.

He wants to win..... but he wants credit. He does not want to live through it again where the team wins and nobody is saying "wow, that jerry sure showed the league how to do it this year".

He wants to be in front of every microphone and media outlet basking in that glory. Thats the catch. He won with Jimmy Johnson but that was not satisfying b/c nobody gave him much credit.