Do you think Jerry wants to win before he dies

DFWJC

Reaction score
You are not applying logic.

Jerry and Stephen make the final calls here. They decide who gets signed in FA. They decide how much to spend. They decide who to draft. Yes, they take input from McClay but at the end of the day, the vision/the blueprint of the team, how it's built is decided by Jerry and Stephen.

I mean even if he isn't the "GM" he's still way too involved in decisions and he, and he alone, could blow the whole thing up and revamp the front office into a more traditional style front office with a real GM. He chooses not to because at the end of the day, he may want to win, but he wants to win where he gets the praise and glory. He doesn't want another situation where fans and experts look at his success and claim it was largely due to someone else.
Will Clay provides the list. Of course that list has choices. But Jerry hasn't gone away from that list in many years now.

Now, if you think Clay and Stephen should be replaced, that's fine.
Hey, maybe bring in a football guy like Urban Meyer. Or Mike Mayock as GM?
lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Will Clay provides the list. Of course that list has choices. But Jerry hasn't gone away from that list in many years now.

Now, if you think Clay and Stephen should be replaced, that's fine.
Hey, maybe bring in a football guy like Urban Meyer. Or Mike Mayock as GM?
lol

I didn't realize our only choices were the two Jones nitwits or Mayock?

It's weird to me that we have fans still somewhat defensive of Jerry and Stephen and to a lesser extent, McClay.

27 years and 3 playoff wins.

It ain't working.

Cmac

Reaction score
.....seems the bank account status would be more interesting before last breath is taken.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yes he does. His way. Thats not changing.

But he knows for fact his way doesn't work. He won't change this way or adjust. Therefore, he doesn't really want to win.

Remember, Cowboys are a brand first to him. Play on the field is second. And all the events they hold at that stadium year around. Coewboys are by far the most profitable team in sports in the world. That is what he cares about. Nothing else.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone wants win including Jerry. It’s just not his number one priority and when he tries to address it as a priority he fails miserably at it, at least in the salary cap era and it’s not up for debate.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I didn't realize our only choices were the two Jones nitwits or Mayock?

It's weird to me that we have fans still somewhat defensive of Jerry and Stephen and to a lesser extent, McClay.

27 years and 3 playoff wins.

It ain't working.
Just kidding on Mayock and Meyer. The point was that they too were considered "football guys"
I'm sure the giants have been run by "football guys" the last 6-7 years too. As have many other miserable, non playoff teams.

Like I said, on average, the product has been a B and we all would like it to be an A or A+....including me.
In the Clay era, when Dallas has had a healthy starting QB, they have almost always made the playoffs.
But then they usually hit a wall. That's the problem.
That's a B.
We, as Cowboys fans, expect more. That includes me.

What I don't like is when people pretend its an F or a D. That would be the Jets or the Jags lately.

Not saying I don't want change. Always have

Fmart322

Reaction score
Nobody wants to win more then Jerry Jones.
Unfortunately Jerry doesn't know how to win and nothing will stop him from trying. He's too stubborn to see that he's the reason we fail every year. Most men have gotten sick of being made fun of a long time ago for failing year in and year out.
We as fans have paid a hefty price for Jerry Jones sins.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I believe he does. The problem is that he is now Al Davis in that he fails to understand the league has changed. There are ton of dynamic playmakers at QB around the league and having a game manger with an iffy run game and awful OL isn't a recipe for success.

"we go as Zeke" goes is great 20 years ago but not in today's league.

At Jerry's age he is simply unwilling or unable to adapt.

Jerry was right about Zeke vs Tampa.

It was MM and RB tandem strategy that cost Cowboys any chance to be competitive, never mind win game.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He desperately wants to win
Anyone that knows Jerry thinks that anyone that thinks otherwise has no clue.
Extremely competitive man

If people want to argue that he is delusional and goes about it the wrong way....that his teams are usually a "B" and sometimes a "B+" but will never be an "A" or A+", well, I won't argue.
But oh yeah, he wants to win.

Jerry does not have an all consuming need to win.

If he did then he never would have fired Jimmy, especially with that Cowboys team at height of its dominance.

Jerry has an all consuming desire for credit and adulation.

That's far from same as desire to win at all costs.

Fmart322

Reaction score
You know, Jerry really could have been the greatest owner in the history of the NFL. He's got a great passion and personality for the game. Had he only saw that he was totally over his head being the GM and just stayed in his lane he could have probably been so successful on the actual football field.
A lot of players, coaches ect.. grew up Cowboys fans. They all know it's the big time in the NFL.
Yet this old coot is so blind by his own arrogance he's totally ruined 25 years of his and his teams history.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Yes he does. His way. Thats not changing.
Wants to prove it wasn't Jimmy. Sadly we all know better after all these years. Jerry wrote the checks. Jimmy was the football guy. Jerry is a delusional old man who can't get out of his own way in order to win a championship without Jimmy.

75boyz

Reaction score
It's a question that's been asked plenty here. I think the last guy who posed it was really caught up on 2 things. And those were:

Yes, but ONLY on Jerry's terms of receiving full credit for the Cowboys success.

Otherwise No. He would not want to win a SB without him receiving full credit and would be good with his Forbes trophies.

Can't say I disagree much.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jerry does not have an all consuming need to win.

If he did then he never would have fired Jimmy, especially with that Cowboys team at height of its dominance.

Jerry has an all consuming desire for credit and adulation.

That's far from same as desire to win at all costs.
Jimmy quit
They both had huge egos.
Jimmy has never stayed anywhere longer than 5 years and was not going to do so here
He's said many times he was burned out and ready to go fishing

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Jimmy quit
They both had huge egos.
Jimmy has never stayed anywhere longer than 5 years and was not going to do so here

I answered the question honestly.

Can you refute anything I said about Jerry with same honesty?

It's not even debatable that Jimmy possessed that all consuming need to win.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I answered the question honestly.

Can you refute anything I said about Jerry with same honesty?
You said he fired Jimmy. Jimmy says he quit

I won't disagree with you about Jerry's ego

Retro88

Reaction score
Serious question…

Do you think Jerry wants to win a Super Bowl again before he passes….he’s getting pretty old now

My guess is he is comfortable living in the past

I think he absolutely does want to win. However, he is absolutely too proud to do what needs to be done. They're not willing to let go go of football operations. Bc of this we won't ever win unless we get really lucky. It'll take some underdog drafted players to turn into monsters. Our only chance is too have soooo much top talent that even they can't mess it up.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He is his own worst enemy in some sense. Perpetually optimistic.

But I truly believe he would be happier if Dallas won the Super Bowl than anyone in this entire forum.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Serious question…

Do you think Jerry wants to win a Super Bowl again before he passes….he’s getting pretty old now

My guess is he is comfortable living in the past

Mobin----- i must agree with your view......everything looks softer and better from view of quarter billion dollar yacht