Do you think the Cowboys should look to lock up Gallup?

cristglo

Reaction score
Money shouldn't be a factor since Cooper is only guaranteed his 2021 salary of $20 million and then can be released after the season with a $6 million cap hit and Lamb has 3 years left on his rookie deal at under $4 million avg a year.
Of course it's all dependent on whether Cooper balls out this year and then Jerry would likely pick up his '22 salary of $20 million which is guaranteed at the beginning of the 22 calendar season in April.
If that happens, it may not be feasible to have that much invested in the receiver corp.
Gallup is a top end # 2 receiver and likely deserves a $10 - 12 million p/yr range.[/QUOI

A friend of mine told me about Gallup from another board said to keep my eye out on him. I watched his SR year and was just blown away with him. So I was so delighted when we drafted him. After the Cee Dee pick up I felt it was going to make Coop and Gallup probably expendable.
If we keep Gallup will depend on a few things. Does Gallup really want to stay in Dallas? If he does it makes it easier to sign a friendly deal between the two. If Gallup explodes this year it's going to be hard to keep all three. The reason that I say this is because of the expiring contracts that we have and the salary cap space we have next few years. As much as I love me some Gallup I have to ask myself, Ok we have a legit #1 and 2 at WR in Coop and Lamb If one other WR steps up in camp even if he isnt as good as Gallup I think will settle the decision.
WE will still need some help on Defense and as bad as I hate to say it I would love to put the $$$ into a Defense player.

One good thing about Cooper is even when he is hobbling and seems to disappear he draws coverage away from the other WR. Bring in Cee DEE that's going to really open up the door for Gallup and make for a great season.

T-RO

Reaction score
From my perspective, if you trade Cooper after the season, you can sign Gallup for cheaper AND get a really nice day 2 pick out of it.

If we trade Coop we'll be paying him $6 mil to play for someone else. Why? At this point he's better than Gallup.

When we come to peace with losing Gallup, we get a third round pick in compensation...exactly what we invested in the first place. Thats top tier team building, a rare thing for this front office.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Money shouldn't be a factor since Cooper is only guaranteed his 2021 salary of $20 million and then can be released after the season with a $6 million cap hit and Lamb has 3 years left on his rookie deal at under $4 million avg a year.
Of course it's all dependent on whether Cooper balls out this year and then Jerry would likely pick up his '22 salary of $20 million which is guaranteed at the beginning of the 22 calendar season in April.
If that happens, it may not be feasible to have that much invested in the receiver corp.
Gallup is a top end # 2 receiver and likely deserves a $10 - 12 million p/yr range.

100%

I'd even trade Amari if we're short on cash, but we absolutely need to make sure Gallup is our franchise Receiver.

Let's not forget also that Cooper is more injury prone.

T-RO

Reaction score
100%

I'd even trade Amari if we're short on cash, but we absolutely need to make sure Gallup is our franchise Receiver.

Let's not forget also that Cooper is more injury prone.

Good lawd, no.
  • Gallup gets little attention from defenses
  • Gallup is a very nice player but the catch rate (59/98) the receiving yardage, the PFF scores aren't in Amari's league.
  • Amari can work himself wide open against the opponent's #1 CB. Gallup can't.
  • Gallup drops a lot of passes, in case you forgot.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If we trade Coop we'll be paying him $6 mil to play for someone else. Why? At this point he's better than Gallup.

When we come to peace with losing Gallup, we get a third round pick in compensation...exactly what we invested in the first place. Thats top tier team building, a rare thing for this front office.

That’s pre-June 1st. If you hold and trade after that date you save a cool 20m. And you’ll get a third for Gallup only if you sign no one in free agency. Dallas aren’t big spenders usually, but to preclude them from the option altogether is a big deal. Plus getting a 2 for Cooper is worth at least two 3’s

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Good lawd, no.
  • Gallup is a very nice player but the catch rate (59/98) the receiving yardage, the PFF scores aren't in Amari's league.

Amari is constantly injured, disappears on the road, costs a fortune, and for a #1 receiver is not as strong as the league's best. His value doesn't quite match his production.

Gallup has potential to get better, he costs less, he's less injured and his stats went down as Dak got injured. Next year could be a big year for him. I'd really think about keeping Gallup. I think we'll be better with Lamb and Gallup, a few other rising receivers, rising tight ends and more money allocated elsewhere besides overpaying the receiver position. I don't think you need a true #1 as long as you have a bunch of really good #2s.

I also think Amari is who he is at this point, while Gallup could get much better.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Amari is constantly injured, disappears on the road, costs a fortune, and for a #1 receiver is not as strong as the league's best. His value doesn't quite match his production.

Gallup has potential to get better, he costs less, he's less injured and his stats went down as Dak got injured. Next year could be a big year for him. I'd really think about keeping Gallup. I think we'll be better with Lamb and Gallup, a few other rising receivers, rising tight ends and more money allocated elsewhere besides overpaying the receiver position. I don't think you need a true #1 as long as you have a bunch of really good #2s.

I also think Amari is who he is at this point, while Gallup could get much better.

This same WR by committee nonsense is why we were horrible the first half of 2018 until the Cooper trade saved the season. Gallup isn’t in the same stratosphere as Cooper

lostar2009

Reaction score
I would let Gallup go and get the pick for him. I don't see us spending the money to keep him. Also doubt he will take a discount.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
This same WR by committee nonsense is why we were horrible the first half of 2018 until the Cooper trade saved the season. Gallup isn’t in the same stratosphere as Cooper

You gotta be kidding me. That was a serious bottom of the league receiving corps. Our receivers are much better now and It's not receiver by committee at all since there are standouts now. The gap between Cooper and Gallup is really not as vast as you're trying to paint it.

I guess questions will be answered next year about Cooper's durability (is he gonna fade?) and how much better Gallip will get.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't care a lick about his 'vibe'. He produces big time and he doesn't create energy draining drama, on field or off it. He's got an introverted, artistic mentality. Paints patterns on the field that dizzy opponents. Might have the best footwork in the game. He's played through a lot of pain with plantar fascia. Guy has lotta heart, it's just quiet and internal.

Dude plays chess off field...and on it. Love it!

If we need to get leadership elsewhere (we do), then let's cultivate it or find it. That's not who Coop is, and it's absurd to keep asking for it w/52 other guys on roster. Embrace the good--there's tons of it there.
That's fine, thank you for objecting. Bottom line I don;t care either. Like I said....I don;t want him dancing or doing cartwheels I am not talking about that.

NFL football doesn't work like chess.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think this team needs 3 receivers.....its the only strength they have until proven otherwise.

Juju sucks? What?

And it had nothing to do with the market did you see what Golladay got? Eagles also offered him more money as well.
When Curtis Samuel signed with WFT I thought he would be Gallups measurable Comp value.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Good lawd, no.
This is the same argument we use to have over Dez. The Dez lovers always defended him as if he was still in his prime while the rest of us could see he had lost a step and was always injured. Folks, Amari has been in and out of OTAs all off-season and still isn't right. The team admits he may not be ready for the start of the season and he will most certainly miss a portion of training camp. All your points are moot in that light. Gallup will get more targets with Amari struggling to get on the field. I bet this high octane offense doesn't skip a beat without Amari.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gallup is a top end # 2 receiver and likely deserves a $10 - 12 million p/yr range.

No. Wr is one of the easier positions to fill. You don't pay that position.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would love nothing more than to see Gallup return after this season, however if it comes down between Gallup and Cooper for me it is easy, Cooper. Amari is the better rout runner, he brings speed to the outside and has proven himself as Dak go to WR. I no reason to knock Gallup and again would love to keep him but I know the odds are not good for that to happen.

John813

Reaction score
Good lawd, no.

Gallup has grown to be our deep threat guy. Before Dak went down Gallup had run 71 go routes which lead the league at that time. Not saying that's all he has run, nor is the only guy that can do it, but with Moore they definitely had him stretching the field at times.

In 2019, Gallup ranked 7th in yards per catch at 16.8yds, with a catch percentage of 58.4%
In the top ten, the lowest catch % was 52.2% tied between two players, and the highest was Stefon Diggs at 67%.
The average was 57% for the top 10 for YP Catch.

His hands need some work, but it's not like the guy you are comparing him to always had sure hands.

Also, Cooper's catch rate was nothing to write home about early on in his career too.
55.4%, 62.9% and 50%
Same with his hands early on in his career. 18 drops his rookie year, 4 his soph year and then 10 his third year.

Since the trade to Dallas he has really blossomed in consistency but it's not like he hasn't needed time to develop his game more over his career.

I don't think Gallup will ever be as good overall as Cooper. But, with that comes a potential difference in price and we should have a future #1 in CDL going into year 2.

That being said Coop is signed long term with huge base salaries that can be restructured as needed to lower his cap hits on a yearly basis. So, if they still love him they can keep him and drop his cap hit as needed.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cooper is better and is only 2 years older. I'd rather keep Cooper and let Gallup go to be honest.

Cooper is the more skilled and talented of the two, but along with that sizeable contract and ongoing issues with his foot, he still hasn't answer questions about his competitive vs the better coverage CBs.
The luxury of having a Lamb and Gallup is if Coop is shutout vs elite CBs, we have splendid options to turn to. . still you give give out the big bucks to face and beat the big boys.

quickccc

Reaction score
I would love nothing more than to see Gallup return after this season, however if it comes down between Gallup and Cooper for me it is easy, Cooper. Amari is the better rout runner, he brings speed to the outside and has proven himself as Dak go to WR. I no reason to knock Gallup and again would love to keep him but I know the odds are not good for that to happen.

...just so long as Cooper is not facing a Ramsey, Gilmore, Slay, Lattimore, or other top tier coverage CBs.