CZ POLL Do you want Amari Cooper on the Cowboys in 2021?

Do you want Amari Cooper on the Cowboys in 2021?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verdict

Reaction score
Same here. At the beginning of the year I was in favor of moving on and re-signing Gallup in 2021, but with Gallup's inconsistency and Cooper having his most consistent - game to game - season yet in spite of having four different QBs at different points, I want no part of moving on shy of a team offering a haul (1st and a 3rd) for him...
He's only had three games all year below fifty yards receiving - and one of those was with the Nooch, lol.
I honestly don’t know what to think about Gallup. I think he just got lost in the QB dumpster fire.

mardwin

Reaction score
Yes, Gallup is a very solid #2 and Lamb asides from some acrobatic catches hasn't shown much else. Not sure if he was worth that pick.

It was a luxury pick for a team filled with holes. I don't understand how they invest 1st round picks in the receiver position in back to back years and then wonder why they lack talent in other areas.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, Gallup is a very solid #2 and Lamb asides from some acrobatic catches hasn't shown much else. Not sure if he was worth that pick.

Our offense in the dumpster might be a bit premature to start dumping on the rookie.

I voted yes to Amari. Would like to see him be a little more enthusiastic on the field. He could fire up his team.

NO!....I don't want Dez shenanigans. Somewhere in between?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a luxury pick for a team filled with holes. I don't understand how they invest 1st round picks in the receiver position in back to back years and then wonder why they lack talent in other areas.
Because they didn't expect covid, FA busts and massive injuries?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know what to think about Gallup. I think he just got lost in the QB dumpster fire.

Well first of all I think the whole "we can have three 1,000 yard receivers" thing was just wishful thinking. If you have 3 receivers all with the talent to get 1,000 yards each it'd likely result in jealousy between them as to targets, play calls, etc.

Second you can't just chunk the ball to receivers, the backs and tight ends have to have targets also, just to keep defenses from loading up on the receivers, if nothing else.

I guess it could work if you throw the ball 35-40 times a game, but not sure this team is built that way....

basel90

Reaction score
it’s always fools who are quick to go to his bad games, here’s a news flash for you pal EVERY receiver has bad games. I know shocking right? Take some time to google Julio Jones, devante Adams, deandre Hopkins etc and you will find games they didn’t light up the stat sheet. Average receiver lmao that’s a good one
do you know a receiver called terry Mclaurin ? maybe yes or maybe no . He is a washington receiver, he has more yards this year than your super star cooper . And he makes less than 1 million a year!!! and he plays on a team with an inferior OL /RB /QB situation than Washington . You see my point ?

Before starting your name calling etc etc, look at the numbers and the value . Unless you are only looking for PR value or you have another agenda.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
This must be a trick question. Go find another 6-1-210, 4.42 40 yd, 3.98 short shuttle, 6.71 cone drill, 33 inch vertical, that can run ankle breaking routes, and make plays.

Good luck. Cooper isthe gift from the Raiders that keeps on giving despite ignorant Arlington Jonesboys fans wanting to get rid of your best RB, QB, WR, and think you are going to win with rookies drafted by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

Jenky

Reaction score
do you know a receiver called terry Mclaurin ? maybe yes or maybe no . He is a washington receiver, he has more yards this year than your super star cooper . And he makes less than 1 million a year!!! and he plays on a team with an inferior OL /RB /QB situation than Washington . You see my point ?

Before starting your name calling etc etc, look at the numbers and the value . Unless you are only looking for PR value or you have another agenda.

Mclaurin is still in his rookie contract and he’s already 25 years old. Amari is 26 and has several 1k+ yard seasons under his belt.

The Washington football team offered Amari more money to lure him away. Please don’t spout that bull**** here. You are making the most absurd comparison and trying to tout value.

One athlete is proven, high pedigree and deserves to get paid market value.

The other athlete is just beginning to prove himself and cash in on his next contract.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

whoo congratulations you found an anomaly. And you’re presenting false information, Washington does not have an inferior oline to us because ours is filled with backup players. And seeing as how Dalton had missed several game with injuries and we had to trout out dinucci and Gilbert I’m not buying the inferior qb situation either. Now if you would like to compare coopers career to mclaurins I’m all for it, instead of you trying to screenshot the 1 year that the Commanders are doing anything. Coopers numbers compare favorably to any of the top WRs in the game. So that whole Amari is disappearing inconsistent argument is nothing but parroting sports media hot takes.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Before starting your name calling etc etc, look at the numbers and the value .

Ok, let's look at the numbers:

Cooper McLaurin
Targets 112 114 1.78% more for McLaurin, not statistically significant. (3% is the normal rule for statistical significance) Essentially the same
Receptions 80 73 9.58% more for Cooper. Advantage Cooper.
Yards 942 1,001 6.26% more for McLaurin. Advantage McLaurin.
Tds 5 3 66.67% more for Cooper. Advantage Cooper.

So one stat the same, 2 to Cooper and 1 to McLaurin.
Now value, sure, McLaurin has that by far. But first of all their contracts were set before this season, nothing we can do about it.
As far as quarterbacks, McLaurin has had Smith for 7 games, Cooper had Dak for only 5. Smith's no slouch, no Brady, etc. but he's a veteran, same as Dalton. No advantage for either Cooper or McLaurin.

Cooper's being wasted on this team without Dak, and without a good o-line to give his quarterback time to throw. This year is an aberration, almost nothing about the Cowboys is anywhere near normal, let's not judge either player by this year alone, next year will probably give us a clearer picture. I have McLaurin on one of my fantasy teams, so I'm not anti-McLaurin. But he's only in his second year, won't be able to judge him vs Cooper until he has a few more years under his belt....

basel90

Reaction score
Mclaurin is still in his rookie contract and he’s already 25 years old. Amari is 26 and has several 1k+ yard seasons under his belt.

The Washington football team offered Amari more money to lure him away. Please don’t spout that bull**** here. You are making the most absurd comparison and trying to tout value.

One athlete is proven, high pedigree and deserves to get paid market value.

The other athlete is just beginning to prove himself and cash in on his next contract.
It is an accurate comparison to two players the same age and division , and actually Cooper has a better offense around him . But seems you are embarrassed by facts and prefer to hear your own voice . Meaningless to argue with you as you have nothing to offer but spouts .

basel90

Reaction score
whoo congratulations you found an anomaly. And you’re presenting false information, Washington does not have an inferior oline to us because ours is filled with backup players. And seeing as how Dalton had missed several game with injuries and we had to trout out dinucci and Gilbert I’m not buying the inferior qb situation either. Now if you would like to compare coopers career to mclaurins I’m all for it, instead of you trying to screenshot the 1 year that the Commanders are doing anything. Coopers numbers compare favorably to any of the top WRs in the game. So that whole Amari is disappearing inconsistent argument is nothing but parroting sports media hot takes.
Numbers don’t lie , and dallas offense is higher in ranking in almost all categories .

basel90

Reaction score
Ok, let's look at the numbers:

Cooper McLaurin
Targets 112 114 1.78% more for McLaurin, not statistically significant. (3% is the normal rule for statistical significance) Essentially the same
Receptions 80 73 9.58% more for Cooper. Advantage Cooper.
Yards 942 1,001 6.26% more for McLaurin. Advantage McLaurin.
Tds 5 3 66.67% more for Cooper. Advantage Cooper.

So one stat the same, 2 to Cooper and 1 to McLaurin.
Now value, sure, McLaurin has that by far. But first of all their contracts were set before this season, nothing we can do about it.
As far as quarterbacks, McLaurin has had Smith for 7 games, Cooper had Dak for only 5. Smith's no slouch, no Brady, etc. but he's a veteran, same as Dalton. No advantage for either Cooper or McLaurin.

Cooper's being wasted on this team without Dak, and without a good o-line to give his quarterback time to throw. This year is an aberration, almost nothing about the Cowboys is anywhere near normal, let's not judge either player by this year alone, next year will probably give us a clearer picture. I have McLaurin on one of my fantasy teams, so I'm not anti-McLaurin. But he's only in his second year, won't be able to judge him vs Cooper until he has a few more years under his belt....
Good info , but I think you see the value argument . 18.5 mil to 1 mil . On a team that needs massive restructuring, an astute GM releases Cooper .

Jenky

Reaction score
It is an accurate comparison to two players the same age and division , and actually Cooper has a better offense around him . But seems you are embarrassed by facts and prefer to hear your own voice . Meaningless to argue with you as you have nothing to offer but spouts .

Right, Cooper plays with CeeDee Lamb and Gallup. Two other standouts that cut into that pie.

But McLaurin plays with the world beater Logan Thomas right? :lmao:

It's not an accurate comparison. You are comparing someone in his rookie deal vs a vet. Keeping fooling yourself.

You're probably part of the crowd that prefers to dump every player after their rookie deal.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Good info , but I think you see the value argument . 18.5 mil to 1 mil . On a team that needs massive restructuring, an astute GM releases Cooper .

Who would replace Cooper, at a lesser salary? Lamb? Maybe, but he's just a rookie. Gallup? Maybe again, but when the last time he had to be the no. 1 receiver he didn't do too well, have to hope his experience level is now such that he can be the no. 1.
Any free agent who could replace Cooper isn't going to cost a whole lot less, not sure the Cowboys would help themselves that much.

Besides his dead cap for 2021 is $28 million, and if he's not worth $20 million Dallas is paying him, why would some other team pay him that much?

I'd rather just let next year play out, hopefully with no Covid loss of camp, pre-season, etc., and then see about dumping or trading players such as Cooper...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

The team does need restructuring, but the receivers in general, including Cooper, aren't part of the problem...

basel90

Reaction score
Who would replace Cooper, at a lesser salary? Lamb? Maybe, but he's just a rookie. Gallup? Maybe again, but when the last time he had to be the no. 1 receiver he didn't do too well, have to hope his experience level is now such that he can be the no. 1.
Any free agent who could replace Cooper isn't going to cost a whole lot less, not sure the Cowboys would help themselves that much.

Besides his dead cap for 2021 is $28 million, and if he's not worth $20 million Dallas is paying him, why would some other team pay him that much?

I'd rather just let next year play out, hopefully with no Covid loss of camp, pre-season, etc., and then see about dumping or trading players such as Cooper...
Cee Dee is legit and is actually neck to neck as number 1 and has 3 years remaining on his contract .

Status
Not open for further replies.