Do you want Jason Witten back as the starting tight end?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't see that overall the Cowboys keep players out of sentiment. They let Emmitt go. They just let Scandrick go. They let Jay Novacek go. They let Demarcus Ware go.

Jason fills a role on the team that is of value. Having a guy who is open nearly all the time helps Dak, who is still developing. It's not all about stats or speed or number of catches.

I do think the Cowboys need to have an honest open competition for the starting TE position, but even at his age and physical limitations, I don't know that Swaim or Gathers or Hanna is better than Witten. But if one of those guys can't beat out an aging warrior, then tight end next year should be looked at very closely as far as a draftee or free agent....

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
**** Jason Witten he can cry at the end of this season too for all I care.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
**** Jason Witten he can cry at the end of this season too for all I care.

Jason cry? He has his head on straight, I have watched him for all his time in Dallas, he's about as realistic as anyone can be. When his time is up, he'll take it like a man and not look back...

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Jason cry? He has his head on straight, I have watched him for all his time in Dallas, he's about as realistic as anyone can be. When his time is up, he'll take it like a man and not look back...
I'm inspired

GMO415

Reaction score
He said he feels good for maybe 5 more
62L5.gif

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Nothing behind him? The player himself has nothing left, so what's behind him means nothing. You don't need two TE's to know the first one is finished.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He can play another year, just do it for another team. He will be in the Ring of Honor, and will always be remembered as an all-time great. If Dak needs him, then Dak isn't the QB for this team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes, I do. At the very least, he gives Rico another year to develop. Plus, he's still a good player. Plus, what else do we have at TE?

vig454

Reaction score
Witten is a bruiser, old skool smash mouth kinda player . He has lost a step but is still open a lot of the time. I am thinking this has to be his last year.

Hardline

Reaction score
Jason is a stud. What is going on with the hate?

He is better than most of the TEs in the league. If you go by fantasy stats he is # 18. For goodness sake, he played with a lacerated spleen, is a workout warrior, is willing to block and I think he played more snaps than any player on offense. The other TEs on the roster have to step up. They haven't, which is why Jason plays the # of snaps per game as he does.

Give me a whole team of warriors like Witten.

I don't get it.
The most logical post in this thread.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
What is arguably the biggest concern with the Cowboys, in the sense of the next few years? Obviously Dak's development, can he be the quarterback you need to win SBs? To that end he needs to have success to build on, what better way than to have a tight end as his "security blanket", a guy who Dak can look to when he needs a completion to "settle down", maybe get a key first down, and can mentor him in the finer aspects of being an NFL player?

It's not all about stats, Witten's dependability to be on the field and help keep defenders off of Dak is a great help to Dak. Sure the Cowboys need to find his replacement, but Jason needs to stick around another year or so...

JustChip

Reaction score
yep lets get preseason super star rico "knothead" in there... lmao.. The guy has done nothing but hes the next greatest TE in the NFL.. SLMAO

I'm with ya 100%. Geez, Rico has played TE for ONE year (last year was a lost year), before that he was playing basketball. Yes, he showed some flash of potential, but anyone that thinks is ready to take over and be an average to above average NFL TE is mistaken. This fan base is in love with backups! Always has been, always will be.

I did some data mining on Jason Witten's production last year. I catalogued every JW official pass last year (i.e., didn't count those negated by penalty). I did it mainly to find out if the common perception on here that, "if you need 10 yards, Jason will get you 9", is true. Here's what I found:

Attempts Avg Y2G Comp Comp % For 1st % for 1st TD # short by 1 yd # short by 2 yds
1st Down 31 10.3 24 77.4% 4 16.7% 1 3 2
2nd Down 28 9.7 21 75.0% 13 61.9% 3 0 2
3rd Down 28 7.5 19 67.9% 8 42.1% 0 6 1
4th Down 1 4.0 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 0 0 0
Total 88 9.1 64 72.7% 25 39.1% 4 9 5

I have no idea how this compares to the average NFL TE; 42.1% first down conversion rate may be low, high or average. Also, 6 out of 19 3rd down completion for Short by 1 Yard seems high, but again, I have no data to say either way. The interesting thing is that 5 the 6 occurred in the first 7 weeks of the year when, other than the Denver game, the offense was fairly productive.

Make what you will of the data. There's probably fuel for any argument one wants to make. The one thing I think I can draw from the above is that 2nd down is the most productive down for Jason Witten - highest FD %, most TDs and fewest short by 1 or 2 yards.

timb2

Reaction score
Witten needs to go,he is hindering others like Gathers & Swaim from getting more snaps

kskboys

Reaction score
Witten needs to go,he is hindering others like Gathers & Swaim from getting more snaps
If he is hindering them and they are better than him, that is a coaching problem.

Seriously, guys, how can you not get it?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
If he is hindering them and they are better than him, that is a coaching problem.

Seriously, guys, how can you not get it?
Maybe a owner problem, maybe a loyalty problem. Witten does the NFL thing the right way and he's got my vote for the HoF, but he's old now and he's limited at best these days. I believe Witten can still contribute but i am not sure how much or how often.