Do you want Jason Witten back as the starting tight end?

Big_D

Reaction score
There comes a time when you have to see what the younger guys can do. That doesn't mean they're better, it means Wittens time here is limited and the team should find out what they have behind him. Value -vs- production -vs- age -vs- time remaining. There's a lot of factors in play here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I want Witten as the starting TE until someone proves they’re better than him. Many here want to replace players just to replace them. They don’t care who it is as long as it’s another player. I’ve seen this with all our receivers. You don’t replace a starting player until you have an upgrade. You can’t just move a player out and move another player in.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There comes a time when you have to see what the younger guys can do. That doesn't mean they're better, it means Wittens time here is limited and the team should find out what they have behind him. Value -vs- production -vs- age -vs- time remaining. There's a lot of factors in play here.

Hanna has been here 4 years, played in 78 games, albeit not very much. Swaim has been on the team 3 years and played in 28 games.

Someone doesn't have to be a starter or play 40 snaps a game to "see what he's got". In addition to regular season games, there are pre-season games and camps. I suspect the Cowboys DO know what they can do, which is why they are not getting more snaps. And it's not just catches, it's blocking too.

If they were keeping Jason out of sentimental reasons, which I highly doubt, he'd still be on the team but would not be the starter. And they don't run a tight end-based offense, so his "lack of production" is likely due to the offensive scheme, rather than his loss of speed (which he never had a lot of anyway).

Jason is probably doing as much as they want the tight end to do, as well as needed...

Big_D

Reaction score
Hanna has been here 4 years, played in 78 games, albeit not very much. Swaim has been on the team 3 years and played in 28 games.

Someone doesn't have to be a starter or play 40 snaps a game to "see what he's got". In addition to regular season games, there are pre-season games and camps. I suspect the Cowboys DO know what they can do, which is why they are not getting more snaps. And it's not just catches, it's blocking too.

If they were keeping Jason out of sentimental reasons, which I highly doubt, he'd still be on the team but would not be the starter. And they don't run a tight end-based offense, so his "lack of production" is likely due to the offensive scheme, rather than his loss of speed (which he never had a lot of anyway).

Jason is probably doing as much as they want the tight end to do, as well as needed...

This could be his last year, so the team needs to prepare for that. Swaim, Rico, Hanna Jarwin, a draftee? .. some combination of these guys need some game time. One target every couple games isn't really accomplishing anything and practice reps only tells you so much. How do they answer when their number is called in a real game situation? You got to make somewhat of a transition, not just wait til he's gone then wonder what to do next.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This could be his last year, so the team needs to prepare for that. Swaim, Rico, Hanna Jarwin, a draftee? .. some combination of these guys need some game time. One target every couple games isn't really accomplishing anything and practice reps only tells you so much. How do they answer when their number is called in a real game situation? You got to make somewhat of a transition, not just wait til he's gone then wonder what to do next.

He got a 4 year contract extension just last year, I believe, indicating he can play as long as he wants. Though I doubt he would "hang on" if he's not productive, he probably has too much pride for that, but the desire for a ring is no doubt still there, he's played too long and gone through too much to just be playing for the money...