Do you want the Cowboys to sign Dak Prescott to another long term deal?

Do you want the Cowboys to sign Dak Prescott to another long term deal?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. Only because I do not believe they can pay him top of the market rate and still put together a playoff competitive team.

khiladi

Reaction score
Lamar has made it to a conference title game with less offense around him than what Dak has enjoyed. He also can rush for 1000 yards in a season which is a very powerful advantage.

It is very bizarre the attempts to prop up Dak by trashing a QB who has accomplished much more than Dak has, and is younger too.
Also played in a much tougher division and is not a dome team and when winter comes around, he gets to experience the feeezing cold regularly.

Lamar in Dallas in the NFC East would have been making much more serious noise.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The unknown? I don't think its such a thing with Jerry at the helm. He's showed us what happens with the unknown.....Stoerner, Leaf, Hutchinson, Wright, Henson......

As far as Dak's numbers goes...not sure what relevant that has...he struggles against one team in the 49ers. He's had no problems lighting up other contenders like the Lions and Eagles.
I notice that you had to go back 2 decades to try and force your post Dak doom and gloom. You skipped right over Romo, whom the same predictions were made for when he would be gone, and yet we had no problem replacing him with an equal choker. Nothing really changed for Dallas other than the name on the QBs jersey.

I rag on Jerry about QBs, and he still hasn't learned that the "moneyball" in the NFL is very simple - you draft QBs with premium picks as often as you can. But he has at least learned that you can't put eye test bad QBs out there, and he learned it from Parcells.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Yes, for several reasons. First, I don't trust the front office to acquire a good QB in a decent amount of time. If we are going to go into rebuild mode, I'd rather do it after Dak's next contract. This FO will do something dumb like Shadeur Sanders, who is basically a worse Justin Fields, and we'll really be in purgatory for several years. Even outside of this FO's historical ineptitude when it comes to high round QB's, just in general it's statistically one of the hardest things to do to actually hit on one in the NFL. Dak has shown that he can make all the throws and has stretches of play where he can play as good or better as the best in the league. I can't explain his playoff no-shows. I have no idea what's going on with him, and it's gut wrenching to watch. It's unacceptable for a QB paid that much to play like that in those moments. But, I believe in Dak's character and his competitive drive, and I think he will do everything he can to turn it around and win.

I think his experience and tenure is also important. Those years of learning and knowing the game are valuable. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I get better at my career every year because I know more and have applied it more than I did the prior year. Dak's not a WR or RB who loses his legs after his 20's are over. He's a QB and can continue to improve and grow. We're all sick of the playoff implosions. But, when considering ALL the variables, especially with this team/front office, I think Dak gives us the best chance to win even with the baggage. Even with the multiple playoff losses. The rules of variance dictate that he can turn it around and get hot at the right time one of these years. Also, I never thought I'd say this, but if any team is equipped to manage three max deals, it's a team like the Cowboys who build primarily through drafting well and being (comparatively) cheap in free agency.

The problem is that this is a very nuanced answer. People want to read the "yes" as "Dak is the best QB in the league and will definitely win a super bowl and we should ignore all the playoff losses, Dak is god and can do no wrong and deserves $65m a year, etc. etc." It's just not that simple, and I still remember the period between Aikman and Romo and how horridly miserable that was. The QB market is what it is, and I'd prefer to take one more shot with this core group.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I notice that you had to go back 2 decades to try and force your post Dak doom and gloom. You skipped right over Romo, whom the same predictions were made for when he would be gone, and yet we had no problem replacing him with an equal choker. Nothing really changed for Dallas other than the name on the QBs jersey.

I rag on Jerry about QBs, and he still hasn't learned that the "moneyball" in the NFL is very simple - you draft QBs with premium picks as often as you can. But he has at least learned that you can't put eye test bad QBs out there, and he learned it from Parcells.
Well you missed my other post. Lynch and Manziel weren’t two decades ago and neither was Lance lol. Romo and Dak weren’t an issue. They are bright spots of Jerry.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are you, his agent?

And guarantee he'd have called everyone who voted no "haters" whether I said something or not.

His history and reputation is earned. I just enjoy a good laugh now and then
I'm not his agent, but he obviously lives in your head. Have fun.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is also a great point. Dak’s tenure of playing in the NFC East has been one when it’s in compete disarray outside the Cowboys. I still remember in 2016 the Giants defense was actually good and Dak sucked against them, as well as the Ravens. Last year, the Eagles were the absolute worst team on third down with a 1st year DC with even minimum assistant coaching experience. They were the 31st ranking secondary overall. The Commanders we’re dead last and Dallas only played them after they traded their two best players on defense.

People completely are missing the fact that the Eagles DC is the best in the business and plays heavy zone and gets to see Dak twice a year now, meaning gets to look at their offense in much more detail.
Yea ........ playing against the Giants and Commanders twice a year is 4 easy games.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Well you missed my other post. Lynch and Manziel weren’t two decades ago and neither was Lance lol. Romo and Dak weren’t an issue. They are bright spots of Jerry.
And Romo and Dak were complete luck, especially Romo. He could have easily gone to Denver. This FO hasn't been linked to a high-round QB that actually panned out since Aikman. Granted, we should probably have a little faith in McClay based on what he's done in the draft, but I don't trust Jerry when it comes to QB. He wants to be relevant every year so he would go for the splash pick/signing like Sanders. Big name, nowhere close to what Dak brings.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And Romo and Dak were complete luck, especially Romo. He could have easily gone to Denver. This FO hasn't been linked to a high-round QB that actually panned out since Aikman. Granted, we should probably have a little faith in McClay based on what he's done in the draft, but I don't trust Jerry when it comes to QB. He wants to be relevant every year so he would go for the splash pick/signing like Sanders. Big name, nowhere close to what Dak brings.
I get not trusting Jerry ...... trust me ........ but the last time they spent a first round pick on a QB, the guy ended up being a 3 time Superbowl winning Hall of Famer.

I would take my chances rather than just doing the same thing we have been doing for almost 30 years.

Retro88

Reaction score
The choices are either to extend Dak and hope one year it falls our way....

Or

Play this year out leading to a high 1st rounder and have Jerry & Company try to guess from the QBs left. The guys who backed into Romo, wanted to draft Manziel, wanted to trade back up into the 1st round to draft Paxton Lynch, wanted to draft Connor Cook, fell back into Dak Prescott & recently traded a 4th for Lance....

So yea, sign Dak at the end of the year unless we're sitting at the top of the first round where Jerry & Company can't mess up the QB pick.

Retro88

Reaction score
They could mess it up with Deion's kid ....... but I would still prefer that to just doing the same thing going on 30 years
I mean that's fair enough. I guess they still could but I'd feel better about it if their odds of hitting are increased. I'm not opposed to reshuffling if this year doesnt go well. However, I'm just not interested in doing that when it's way more likely then not that we miss and make no mistake.....sitting here with no QB in 5 years is not better for anybody then keeping Dak would of been.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Want to see the forums current mood on this topic.
The current mood is the same as it’s been since his first extension. The fan base is more against him now because it will cost a lot more to keep him. They would rather lose with a lesser, cheaper QB.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The current mood is the same as it’s been since his first extension. The fan base is more against him now because it will cost a lot more to keep him. They would rather lose with a lesser, cheaper QB.
Yea ...... I kind get that feeling as well.

pansophy

Reaction score
Yes, for several reasons. First, I don't trust the front office to acquire a good QB in a decent amount of time. If we are going to go into rebuild mode, I'd rather do it after Dak's next contract. This FO will do something dumb like Shadeur Sanders, who is basically a worse Justin Fields, and we'll really be in purgatory for several years. Even outside of this FO's historical ineptitude when it comes to high round QB's, just in general it's statistically one of the hardest things to do to actually hit on one in the NFL. Dak has shown that he can make all the throws and has stretches of play where he can play as good or better as the best in the league. I can't explain his playoff no-shows. I have no idea what's going on with him, and it's gut wrenching to watch. It's unacceptable for a QB paid that much to play like that in those moments. But, I believe in Dak's character and his competitive drive, and I think he will do everything he can to turn it around and win.

I think his experience and tenure is also important. Those years of learning and knowing the game are valuable. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I get better at my career every year because I know more and have applied it more than I did the prior year. Dak's not a WR or RB who loses his legs after his 20's are over. He's a QB and can continue to improve and grow. We're all sick of the playoff implosions. But, when considering ALL the variables, especially with this team/front office, I think Dak gives us the best chance to win even with the baggage. Even with the multiple playoff losses. The rules of variance dictate that he can turn it around and get hot at the right time one of these years. Also, I never thought I'd say this, but if any team is equipped to manage three max deals, it's a team like the Cowboys who build primarily through drafting well and being (comparatively) cheap in free agency.

The problem is that this is a very nuanced answer. People want to read the "yes" as "Dak is the best QB in the league and will definitely win a super bowl and we should ignore all the playoff losses, Dak is god and can do no wrong and deserves $65m a year, etc. etc." It's just not that simple, and I still remember the period between Aikman and Romo and how horridly miserable that was. The QB market is what it is, and I'd prefer to take one more shot with this core group.
I don't love the price tag, but even Derek Carr was the highest paid QB in the league for a spell until more contracts got signed. We also just went through all of his growing pains, so we should get a few more years of solid play from that investment. Maybe Lance develops over the next 2-3 years to the point that we can roll the dice with him next contract if Dak can't get it done. We definitely don't have a good eye for QBs. Everyone seems to forget that Manzel and Paxton Lynch were the two guys the front office have fallen in love with. Dak was like -- who can we take given we didn't get our guy (which seems to be when we pick the best).

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I get not trusting Jerry ...... trust me ........ but the last time they spent a first round pick on a QB, the guy ended up being a 3 time Superbowl winning Hall of Famer.

I would take my chances rather than just doing the same thing we have been doing for almost 30 years.
Not to mention either Aikman, Romo, or Prescott has been the starting QB of the Cowboys for 30 out of the 35 years Jerral has owned the team. Outside of GB, that's as steady as you'll find in the modern NFL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yea ...... I kind get that feeling as well.
It’s hard to take a lot of the fans here seriously if they’re being serious. There’s one fan that said he would be fine with Jacoby Brissett or Taylor Heinicke for a few seasons until we find our next franchise QB. :rolleyes: One of the more ridiculous comments I saw was someone posted that we could go out and get Colt McCoy, who just retired. They said he would probably jump at the opportunity to start for the Cowboys. I don’t know how any fan could get excited about the teams chances with some of the QBs they would rather have than paying Dak a lot of money. This is a bizarre fan base.