CZ POLL Do you want the Cowboys to sign Earl Thomas?

Do you want the Cowboys to sign Earl Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw it on twitter but still could just be a rumor anyway. That being said, there are multiple google articles saying teams were interested when he was released.

I found one and right after Rapoport put that out all of the teams he stated except the Cowboys had put out statements that they were not interested.in Thomas. Then it was reported that the Cowboys weren't interested and Jones said he hasn't closed the door and then later said there could be an injury later that may need to addressed. That sounds like Jones would be interested if one of his safeties went down with an injury.

dckid

Reaction score
Seems most folks in favor of signing ET are perceiving him as the same guy he was 5 years ago rather than the guy that just got himself fired by the Ravens. It's a nice fantasy but in reality, he is no longer that guy.
I don't think many people believe he is the same guy he was 5 years ago. He has aged but still has a good amount in the tank.
The problem is the personal stuff he seems to be going through. That is probably what the Cowboys are weighing right now.
My hope would be coming home to play for your favorite team would be a big boost and he would also fill a huge need, and hopefully play the Tyrann Mathieu role for us. Mathieu's presence made the Chiefs secondary better. It will make the LB's better and improve coverage by having ET here.
Sometimes opportunity comes knocking and all you have to do is open the door. Take a chance on a distressed asset.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Nope.

You need to draw the line somewhere. He was physically assaultive towards a teammate....that transcends football into legal territory.

You don't see any of his former teammates going to bat for him....even the veteran leadership in Baltimore had enough of him.

He's no longer the all-pro safety from 4 -5 years ago. He's an aging safety that doesn't stick to his assignments, gets burned, then gets mad at his teammates when they call him out for not being a team player.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think many people believe he is the same guy he was 5 years ago. He has aged but still has a good amount in the tank.
The problem is the personal stuff he seems to be going through. That is probably what the Cowboys are weighing right now.
My hope would be coming home to play for your favorite team would be a big boost and he would also fill a huge need, and hopefully play the Tyrann Mathieu role for us. Mathieu's presence made the Chiefs secondary better. It will make the LB's better and improve coverage by having ET here.
Sometimes opportunity comes knocking and all you have to do is open the door. Take a chance on a distressed asset.
What exactly do you think I meant when I suggested he is not the same guy he was 5 years ago? It wasn't so much about his age or physical ability. He's obviously got something going on in his personal life that is preventing him from getting along with others. Displaying antisocial behavior is a serious matter that trumps being part of a sports team. That is what the Cowboys are probably weighing right now... getting ET the right mental healthcare is more important than anything football-related. I have no doubt ET wants to be a Cowboy. The day or two of silence on progress in this matter says they are respecting his privacy while also addressing his needs to be treated by proper mental healthcare professionals.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I found one and right after Rapoport put that out all of the teams he stated except the Cowboys had put out statements that they were not interested.in Thomas. Then it was reported that the Cowboys weren't interested and Jones said he hasn't closed the door and then later said there could be an injury later that may need to addressed. That sounds like Jones would be interested if one of his safeties went down with an injury.
Did the Eagles back out? Didn't see anything from them. I know the Niners said they weren't interested.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Did the Eagles back out? Didn't see anything from them. I know the Niners said they weren't interested.

Well do have anything other than one thing by Rapoport that says that any of those teams including the eagles are act6ually interested?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't want to sign a player who is skipping meetings, creating distention in the locker room, free lancing on the field and not playing his assignments. On top of that he's giving up on plays and has lost his mojo.

The guy was voted off of the team by the leadership, I've not heard of one person, like Jackson, sticking up for him.

Past glory can not make up for being a current a-hole.
Help me here..

Was he in the Pro Bowl last year?

If he was..you sign him.

If it makes sense financially you sign him and let the leadership on the team take care of the rest.

It's a bloody fantasy to sit and concern yourself over "what -if" this or that.

If this team is so fragile that one player destroys the team because he is a little different..

then obviously we don't have a team.

Zeke is a little quirky if you ask me.

But he does not produce any negativity I know. He's a team leader.

Aldon Smith? Another player nobody confuses with Prince Charming but everybody has huge expectations and his shortcomings have been swept under the rug.

Earl Thomas? Calculated risk but worst case scenario?

Cut.

Best case..he goes to another Pro Bowl and we go back to the playoffs with a chance.

I take the chance..

especially with all the money riding on this season with all the contracts.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Help me here..
Was he in the Pro Bowl last year?
If he was..you sign him.
If it makes sense financially you sign him and let the leadership on the team take care of the rest.
It's a bloody fantasy to sit and concern yourself over "what -if" this or that.
If this team is so fragile that one player destroys the team because he is a little different..
then obviously we don't have a team.
Zeke is a little quirky if you ask me.
But he does not produce any negativity I know. He's a team leader.
Aldon Smith? Another player nobody confuses with Prince Charming but everybody has huge expectations and his shortcomings have been swept under the rug.
Earl Thomas? Calculated risk but worst case scenario?
Cut.
Best case..he goes to another Pro Bowl and we go back to the playoffs with a chance.
I take the chance..
especially with all the money riding on this season with all the contracts.

Here's what's COMPLETELY wrong with your comparison of Thomas and Elliott and Smith. Elliott and Smith's issues were off the field issues, Thomas's issues are ON THE FIELD issues. First, NO Thomas wasn't in the Pro Bowl last year. His last appearance was 2018 with Seattle.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-reveals-rosters-for-2019-pro-bowl-in-orlando-0ap3000001001792

Next one of the big reasons teams do release players is because they're a problem in the locker room so teams are very hesitant to sign known trouble makers. As you said it's a fantasy to sit and concern yourself over "what -if" this or that and that applies to you and you're what if Thomas was in Dallas. Now lets look at things. Thomas wanted out of Seattle and if he had a problem with the ravens why did he sign with them? Next it doesn't matter how many Pro Bowls a player has gone to there is ZERO excuses for a player to talk back to and disrespect coaches. Lastly if Thomas was playing anywhere close to his Pro Bowl years the raven would have just suspended him for a game or two and not cut him. They weighed everything, is playing, his late and missing meetings, talking back and disrespecting coaches and finally sucker punching a team mate and said he not worth it and cut him and this is a team that went to the playoffs last season and is expected to go again this season.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Uh? How about we talk to the Ravens and talk to the player before just hiring him. Maybe there is some issue going on in his life that needs to be fixed before we commit to him with a contract. If he absolutely would be an upgrade as you say then why is there an "internal conflict" going on with the decision-makers of the Cowboys? You aren't telling the story as it is. There is something preventing the Cowboys from just pulling the trigger and I think it is the locker room stuff that you just seem to want to ignore. I think doing their due diligence to investigate the matter first is a much better idea.
You don't know the story either so stop acting like a know it all.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Right?

People want to make him sound like Hardy was.

I said this on another post..

He was a Pro Bowler last year.

I said sign him and throw him in the lockroom.

Let the team leaders deal with him.

Let McCarthy earn his salary.

Deal with the problems and the staff needs to get their Spurs on.

This is not the Cumbaya League. We are 2 weeks from showtime.

This team needs to show some character and some backbone.

This team is full of players being paid like CEOs of big corporations to play a game all of us learned in our backyard at 5 years old.

NO more excuses.

After 25 years of failing..time to play and stop with the dysfunctional BS.

No more Mr. Nice Guy Cowboys. I am pretty fed up with who and what we have been for the last 2 decades.

Earl Thomas and Aldon Smith are my new poster boys.

Forget Zeke and Dak exchanging neckcharms to show how much they care about each other.

Time to piss some other teams off.

Last edited:

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Yes, if the contract isn't so bad they could deal with problems later if needed. Who knows what players will be out for who knows what reasons this season, get the talent now and see how it goes from there. Don't say no from fear of player attitude if the price is cheap. All the players should be pros and if they can't handle someone telling them that they suck or something similar well they might be in the wrong business.

If it's a heavy price i would back away, if not :welcome: to Dallas. :popcorn:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You don't know the story either so stop acting like a know it all.
I don't need to know the whole story but at least I have the good sense to do my due diligence by doing some inquiries before irrationally jumping headfirst into a new contract. I think its fairly common practice with pro sports... that's all I'm saying. Stop getting bent out of shape because you didn't think about that first.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Right?

He was a Pro Bowler last year.

You keep saying that yet I gave you PROOF that he wasn't,

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-reveals-rosters-for-2019-pro-bowl-in-orlando-0ap3000001001792

Your answer is to disregard all of the recent history and just hope Thomas is what he was a couple of years ago. Recent history is late for or not showing up for meetings, talking back to and disrespecting coaches and sucker punching a team mate. You sound just like the people that think of Bryant as the 2014 Bryant instead of the 2020 Bryant.

quickccc

Reaction score
i admit that i'm actually torn both ways, and i can see the argument on both sides.

Earl is a toxic locker room element, he's had squabbles and run-ins with teammates from his last previous teams both ravens and seahawks.
Internal drama can kill morale and create added stress that grows at its worst in the toughest of times.
Coaches and players want the reilef of a non-toxic atmosphere. You saw what Terrell Owens did to his team's locker rooms.

the flip side is we also saw how Owens the player impacted and changed the tone of the playing field.
What can Earl the player do for a team that doesn't look too encouraging at safety right now ?
He's twice ad easily as better as anyone else we currently have at starting safety.
Ha Ha losing out to journeyman Darion Thompson who is clearly more of a special teams than starter ?
Doesn't speak volumes. And i've seen enough of Thompson's coverages to know he'll get exposed big time if he has to start.

Earl is a ball hawk INT guy, hes much more physical a tackler than Clinton Dix or Woods,. and he can still match up in coverage
even at age 31.
We've gambled on a psycho Charles Haley who was traded because he was viewed as a toxic locker room cancer, to be the final piece of a Super Bowl, would we be willing to do go gamble another toxic player in an all out effort to go for the SB ?

i keep hearing many talk of money, but i think it's more the clauses and stipulations that have to be set in place first with Earl.
he may not want to submit for those kind of conditions, ..but it has to be take it or leave, imo.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
i admit that i'm actually torn both ways, and i can see the argument on both sides.

Earl is a toxic locker room element, he's had squabbles and run-ins with teammates from his last previous teams both ravens and seahawks.
Internal drama can kill morale and create added stress that grows at its worst in the toughest of times.
Coaches and players want the reilef of a non-toxic atmosphere. You saw what Terrell Owens did to his team's locker rooms.

the flip side is we also saw how Owens the player impacted and changed the tone of the playing field.
What can Earl the player do for a team that doesn't look too encouraging at safety right now ?
He's twice ad easily as better as anyone else we currently have at starting safety.
Ha Ha losing out to journeyman Darion Thompson who is clearly more of a special teams than starter ?
Doesn't speak volumes. And i've seen enough of Thompson's coverages to know he'll get exposed big time if he has to start.

Earl is a ball hawk INT guy, hes much more physical a tackler than Clinton Dix or Woods,. and he can still match up in coverage
even at age 31.
We've gambled on a psycho Charles Haley who was traded because he was viewed as a toxic locker room cancer, to be the final piece of a Super Bowl, would we be willing to do go gamble another toxic player in an all out effort to go for the SB ?

i keep hearing many talk of money, but i think it's more the clauses and stipulations that have to be set in place first with Earl.
he may not want to submit for those kind of conditions, ..but it has to be take it or leave, imo.

First off Haley wasn't toxic in the locker room. His problem was he let the coaches know that he didn't agree with the defensive scheme they were using that he thought to often kept him from attacking the QB. One of the first things he said after coming to Dallas was he finally was going to be free to attack the QB. Haley didn't sucker punch a team mate and didn't show up late or blow off team meetings. Haley got the locker room label because a team mate started a verbal argument with him on the practice field that eventually carried on in the locker room. He had former team mates on the 49ers that said it was a one time thing. but because the media also knew about his feelings about the defensive scheme they added locker room to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.