CZ POLL Do you want the Cowboys to sign Earl Thomas?

Do you want the Cowboys to sign Earl Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Seems most folks in favor of signing ET are perceiving him as the same guy he was 5 years ago rather than the guy that just got himself fired by the Ravens. It's a nice fantasy but in reality, he is no longer that guy.
Or we hear Thompson has been starting and we need someone better than that. We are no longer talking about trading high draft picks or paying a huge salary like in years past when he was discussed.

Jipper

Reaction score
Or we hear Thompson has been starting and we need someone better than that. We are no longer talking about trading high draft picks or paying a huge salary like in years past when he was discussed.

just playing devils advocate here...but what it Thompson is starting because he is playing really well? Honestly this camp we have had the least amount of fan visibility since the pre internet days so our perspective is much more limited.

ET is still a great player but not what he was 3 to 5 years ago, could he be an upgrade? 100%....would his cost benefit ratio be positive over our current setup, maybe or maybe not....but that’s the question we should all be asking

and in the end we have to trust the coaches to make the right choice

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
just playing devils advocate here...but what it Thompson is starting because he is playing really well? Honestly this camp we have had the least amount of fan visibility since the pre internet days so our perspective is much more limited.

ET is still a great player but not what he was 3 to 5 years ago, could he be an upgrade? 100%....would his cost benefit ratio be positive over our current setup, maybe or maybe not....but that’s the question we should all be asking

and in the end we have to trust the coaches to make the right choice
If that is the case then he has taken a huge developmental step from last year when he made Jeff Heath look like an All Pro.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I don't want to sign a player who is skipping meetings, creating distention in the locker room, free lancing on the field and not playing his assignments. On top of that he's giving up on plays and has lost his mojo.

The guy was voted off of the team by the leadership, I've not heard of one person, like Jackson, sticking up for him.

Past glory can not make up for being a current a-hole.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Let's ignore the contract details and assume that it was a fair market contract but with favorable terms for the Cowboys.
Thanks. That avoid the predictable "I would but only at the right price" posts. I mean really.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Three years ago Thomas, yes.......He's just not the same player now and after reading about the recent episode in Baltimore where team leaders in the locker room went to management and requested Thomas be traded or released from the team..NO way do I want that cancer on this team!

Swagger

Reaction score
Before he got injured, Thompson was playing really well for the Giants. I'm not saying he's going to be amazing but he did play well for the Giants before injury and there's still scope for improvement.

Swagger

Reaction score
I don't think the cost would be much of an issue with Thomas. It's more that he has effectively been thrown off two very respected franchises which would indicate the issues lay at his doorstep. Training camp seems to be going well, people juiced up, mutual respect, do you really want to throw a potential liability into the mix? An ageing primadonna living off past times. Shouldn't he be joining the Titans as their full back!?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one subject where I can't definitively say which move is the right decision. I'm completely torn on it and can see both sides of the argument.

On one hand, I can see leaving it up to the coach, that's how it should be. If - and I stress if - McCarthy is actually opposed to adding Thomas, the conversation stops right there. I wouldn't sign him.

But if McCarthy is leaving it up to the Joneses and McClay - as he said - then I think I would give it a try, on two key conditions.
  1. A really team-friendly deal. Thomas was already paid a boatload of money, especially by Baltimore. And his reputation is garbage right now. He's in no position to make big demands of anyone.
  2. It has to be a pay-as-you-go structured deal. He works and earns what he does make. And if things go 'sideways' he's gone, with minimal cap impact.
I think they should bring him in and talk to him personally, making expectations clear. And if everyone isn't comfortable at that point, they shouldn't do it. It feels like the only possible competition at this point would be Cleveland, and if the Cowboys organization isn't in agreement, he can go and sign there.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yes. With a trap door contract that boots him with the slightest hiccup.
Well sure that would be nice, but I doubt him and his agent are going to sign just any contract they are offered.
They may want more than u would want to give and maybe x amount guaranteed.
The only question is does he really want to play for the cowboys? If he does then maybe he signs some contract like you guys want.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Tough question given we(fans) aren't privy to the information NFL teams are gathering on Thomas's character and recent issues in Baltimore.

Obviously if it's just an on the field question, it's a no-brainer. Thomas at this point of his career still improves your defense. But it's no coincidence that McCarthy on his own brought up locker room fit when discussing the possibility on Monday morning.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well sure that would be nice, but I doubt him and his agent are going to sign just any contract they are offered.
They may want more than u would want to give and maybe x amount guaranteed.
The only question is does he really want to play for the cowboys? If he does then maybe he signs some contract like you guys want.

I don't see anyone banging down his door to sign him. Just the opposite in fact, with teams reportedly interested all saying 'no thanks'.
  1. Houston - not interested
  2. Atlanta - not interested
  3. San Francisco - not interested
The only team rumored to have interest that hasn't shut the door has been the Cowboys.

Cleveland might because they lost rookie Delpit for the year, but their coach deferred talking about Thomas as well.

Thomas does not have a market currently, and rightly so after his recent behavior.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Cowboys have been playing the waIting game all off season, and deal upon deal have been falling in thier laps.

The longer the process plays out, the more of an impact this will have on ET. This will cause him to reevaluate his worth.

If he comes to the conclussion that the market for his services is limited, then this will increase the chances of the Cowboys signing him to a well structered contract.

What i noticed this off season is the high visibility of playing for the Cowboys increases a players perceived worth across the league.

Playing for the Cowboys for a 1 year contract and being productive is the best opportunity to maximize your bargaining power in free agency the next year.

Because of compensatory picks, this has become a win/win for the Cowboys Organization.

If this trend continues it will be an excelent advantage for the Cowboys.

To recap, playing the waiting game is advantagous to the Cowboys, and if all things being equal, signing with the Cowboys is Ideal.

His behavior has put him right where the Cowboys want him, if they do want him

Jipper

Reaction score
If that is the case then he has taken a huge developmental step from last year when he made Jeff Heath look like an All Pro.

Jeff Heath certainly was not an All Pro but he was far better than many on here give him credit for....and as far as the developmental step the guy has taken, i just dont know but i would hope that the coaching staff is very close on the evaluation.

its hard trusting in them to make the right evaluation given the prior history but this is a new coaching staff and has a real leader, i guess the best we can do is trust and hope that MM is the coach we all hope he is.

but totally understand the perspective and concern....heres to hoping we are both very pleasantly surprised by the outcome

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys have been playing the waIting game all off season, and deal upon deal have been falling in thier laps.

The longer the process plays out, the more of an impact this will have on ET. This will cause him to reevaluate his worth.

If he comes to the conclussion that the market for his services is limited, then this will increase the chances of the Cowboys signing him to a well structered contract.

What i noticed this off season is the high visibility of playing for the Cowboys increases a players perceived worth across the league.

Playing for the Cowboys for a 1 year contract and being productive is the best opportunity to maximize your bargaining power in free agency the next year.

Because of compensatory picks, this has become a win/win for the Cowboys Organization.

If this trend continues it will be an excelent advantage for the Cowboys.

To recap, playing the waiting game is advantagous to the Cowboys, and if all things being equal, signing with the Cowboys is Ideal.

His behavior has put him right where the Cowboys want him, if they do want him

:hammer:

Great post.

But it does bring to mind the very legitimate question of just where Thomas' head and life are at right now.

Does he realize the deal the Ravens gave him? The one h flushed down the toilet with his behavior?

Does he realize the mess his personal life looks to be in (from an outside perspective anyway)?

Is he aware of the damage done to his reputation in the league and the affect that will have on his current status and asking price?

If the answer to any of those questions is no, then I think the Cowboys are better off saying no as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.