CZ POLL Do you want the Cowboys to sign Earl Thomas?

Do you want the Cowboys to sign Earl Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

John813

Reaction score
If Thompson is starting in camp, I'm in favor of getting an upgrade at the safety spot.

If that's ET, then bring him in. If it's Jeff Jesus Christ reborn Heath, then trade all our 2021 draft picks for him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have not read through all the posts yet.
I voted yes. Now since he is a FA. I been saying no, as no way I wanted to trade for him.

However my yes vote is at 51.1% as opposed to no at 49.9%. Because I am still unsure. However since S is in flux, as it has been for decades. It would not hurt to bring him in at a contract that he can be released without a hug cap hit.
I posted a few days ago, we are fine, let's see what we have at S in TC for now. But with the recent reports, maybe it is time, depending the accuracy oath e reports.
As I said, it can't hurt.

Tomorrow I may think different. LOL.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Have not read through all the posts yet.
I voted yes. Now since he is a FA. I been saying no, as no way I wanted to trade for him.

However my yes vote is at 51.1% as opposed to no at 49.9%. Because I am still unsure. However since S is in flux, as it has been for decades. It would not hurt to bring him in at a contract that he can be released without a hug cap hit.
I posted a few days ago, we are fine, let's see what we have at S in TC for now. But with the recent reports, maybe it is time, depending the accuracy oath e reports.
As I said, it can't hurt.

Tomorrow I may think different. LOL.

Why wait and see? Why not bring him in and get him ready to play by week 1? If it doesn’t work or he acts up, you can cut him. I just don’t get the wait and see game. He won’t be up to speed in time and someone else may sign him while you’re trying to convert CBs. Not a smart way to do business. Get him in, let him compete and learn the system. Then make a decision on final cut down day if he makes the team better or not.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why wait and see? Why not bring him in and get him ready to play by week 1? If it doesn’t work or he acts up, you can cut him. I just don’t get the wait and see game. He won’t be up to speed in time and someone else may sign him while you’re trying to convert CBs. Not a smart way to do business. Get him in, let him compete and learn the system. Then make a decision on final cut down day if he makes the team better or not.

I meant the other day, like 3 or 4 days ago, wait and see how the current S's look. Well se seen, according to reports, they are not looking so good. Also when I said that, it was before ET was released. Now he is a FA, so it is time to have a look on a team friendly contract. I won't complain.

And yes, agree, need to see him in practice, as less than 3 weeks until the opener. MM said a few days ago, they will have another week or so of practice, then start looking at preparing for the Rams. So they will need to have their starters pretty well set.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yes. With a trap door contract that boots him with the slightest hiccup.

Well sure that would be nice, but I doubt him and his agent are going to sign just any contract they are offered.
They may want more than u would want to give and maybe x amount guaranteed.

Who cares what he and his agent want? He created the desire to have an escape clause by getting himself fired in Baltimore.

He's 31 years old, on the back end of his career, and just got voted off the island by his teammates. Only a fool would give him a bunch of guarantees (enter Jerry).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares what he and his agent want? He created the desire to have an escape clause by getting himself fired in Baltimore.

He's 31 years old, on the back end of his career, and just got voted off the island by his teammates. Only a fool would give him a bunch of guarantees (enter Jerry).

Enter Stephen to keep that from happening, the guarantees that is.
Maybe incentives, but not guarantees.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want the Cowboys to finally admit that a great safety is critical to a great defense, and draft one in the first round. Then develop him into an All Pro.

erod

Reaction score
Ability wise, absolutely.

Headcase wise, probably not.

Need wise, there is no choice but to sign him.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I’ll clarify my “no” vote. Earl Thomas from 3-4 years ago? Sign me up. However, guy’s carrying some serious baggage as far as locker room chemistry, not to mention this is a young man’s game and ET is getting a bit long in the tooth in football age.

now, in no way is a combo of X Woods, who’s frankly a creature of Cowboys hype and HHCD or Darian Thompson a winning combo on the back end. The Cowboys have shown a complete aversion to invest in this position, and I’m sure that will bite them yet again this season, but an older guy in a fragile locker room where the owner dictates leadership isn’t a great idea imo.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lot's of downside against a once favorable upside.
His price is probably ridiculous, his behavior/attitude is questionable and could resurface, recent injury could reoccur, and he's getting older. Can't be close to the player he once was. Not too many teams lined up to sign him. Don't need another prima donna to stir up problems.
However, if MM is on board, that's all that matters.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Well your using common sense, and I dont think he has that lol. So no telling what he will do , or if he even wants to play this year.

davidariust24

Reaction score
I'd sign him to a good but fair deal. Incentives like INT numbers or fumble recoveries or causing fumbles, TFL, and tackles. Id juice up the deal just to make sure he is fully engaged and happy to put forth his best, because if we get him we are an instant contender.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yes it McCarty is in favor of it.

No if McCarty has reservations about it.

Footnote, if McCarthy is in favor and its an Everson Giffen contract or a McCoy deal with out clauses and some of the money in per-game bonuses - all the better.

Kaiser

Reaction score
just playing devils advocate here...but what it Thompson is starting because he is playing really well? Honestly this camp we have had the least amount of fan visibility since the pre internet days so our perspective is much more limited.

Agree, its a lot more likely that HaHa has some minor injury they aren't talking about than he suddenly forgot to play. Thompson has had flashes but if things go well he may not even make the roster.

Its also possible the coaches are giving Thompson a long look early on because he is on the bubble, so without a preseason this is his real evaluation to either make the roster or be replaced by a late cut from another team.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
No. We need a long term solution. And we to find out if that long term solution is Xavier Woods. The physical tools between Woods and Thomas aren't all that different. It's just Thomas's experience and instinct that separate the two. But we don't know if Woods has those same instincts as Thomas, because he was stuck in a robotic type system.

Personally,
I would like to see Wilson and Woods as our two starting safeties next year.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

I wonder if he had offset language on his Raven’s contract so Dallas could get him for vet minimum and let the Ravens foot the bill?

Another issue to consider is the Ravens attempting to void his contract. If they are successful, then offset language wouldn’t matter. I wonder how quickly they can’t decide that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.