Does anyone know how fast Zeke is at the moment?

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Zeke was New Englands short yardage back last year and he had 2 rushingTDs. He seriously probably runs a 4.9 to 5.0 right now.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You know a players is truly Ivory Springs washed when you start hearing non performance based adjectives such as leadership and toughness.

I was a staunch Zeke fan in the past. But he is slow and lacks any power after contact now. People who keep talking about dirty yards and beating up a defense have not seen him over the last two years. Or they are in full Stevie Wonder mode.
I disagree with that assessment. His game is more about picking up dirty yards now than it was before. That's one reason the knee injuries in 2021 and 2022 ruined good starts for him, particularly the PCL tear. When you depend as much on leg drive as he does instead of elusiveness, you can't afford to have your power sapped. You could see a distinct difference in his play the first half of those years and the back half.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Zeke was New Englands short yardage back last year and he had 2 rushingTDs. He seriously probably runs a 4.9 to 5.0 right now.
The previous year for us, he had a streak of nine games with a rushing TD and finished with 12 rushing TDs.

Don't know if he can replicate that, but he's not that far removed from it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Im actually surprisingly sober! My point that humans like to tear down others to make themselves feel better is nothing new. Fat jokes...slow jokes...let the endorphins flow!
Very true. Mostly in social media only and not face to face. Unfortunately, it’s here to stay and mankind must learn how to deal with it in a positive way.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Zeke would make a great fullback at this point in his career. That's not meant to be a knock but he can still catch, block and run but he just lacks speed.
I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows the game better than I: to what extent are Zeke's talents at pick-up blocking likely transferable to lead blocking?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last time here he was averaging better than 4 yards per carry before hurting his knee for the second year in a row. I'll take that (minus the knee injury).

I don't watch New England, so I'm not sure what happened there, but others who did watch the Patriots have their explanations for why he averaged 3.5. Even though for the fun of it I predicted him to average 4.5 this year, he doesn't really have to do that for the running game to be effective. If he picks up 3.5 on first down, then running or passing is still an option and the defense has to respect that. Same if he picks up 3.5 on second down. Not all YPC is equal, a back who averaged 4 YPC but doesn't have many long runs is obviously making more positive-yardage runs than one who averages 4 YPC but has several long runs.
You just nailed our issue with promoting rb2 to rb1. Our 2s seem to always have obscene ypc. When we make them 1s they underwhelm or just flame out.

Sheer ypc can be highly deceptive stat. As i guess most are without context.

Nothing wrong with 3 yards and dust...if you also drive hard to 1st downs and tds.. biggest stat there would be keeping defense on bench

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows the game better than I: to what extent are Zeke's talents at pick-up blocking likely transferable to lead blocking?
good question. That is a deep stat...one even few good fans give a crap.

My eye test / brain tells me he blocked (add effectively!) way more than other elite rbs/tbs. Baŕry sanders? Mcaferrey? Barkley.? Emmitt?

I think not.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Don’t know why anyone gets so hung up on average per carry.

Zeke isn’t going to reel off those 20-30 yard gains that boost the average all that often, if ever anymore. Be real.

Are they really going to limit his touches like MM said or is it more like Jerry said, which we last heard was….”RB1.”

He may be an ok addition if it doesn’t leave us in 2nd and 9 six times a game.

Kwyn

Reaction score
In the 10 yard sprint and the 40 yard sprint? What is his maximum running speed on longer runs?
Players don’t typically run against a clock publicly once they are professionals. Not really much point in it.

I’d guess, like everyone else in the thread is doing, and estimate him to be between four flat and six seconds

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the NFL, there are really only two speeds: Fast and not fast. At this point in his career Zeke is in the not fast category.