Does anyone really think Dak would veto trade at this point?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Minnesota has Darnold, Dak should be able to beat him out.
Raiders have Minshew and O'Connell, another possibilty
Denver needs a QB in the worst way, may not have the funds

Patriots pick 3rd, they might not like who falls to them

those are all legit possibilties.
They are possible trade teams....but what does their 1st round pick order have to do with anything? Denver is going to draft someone. Nobody is giving a 1st rounder for him

Sandyf

Reaction score
For those that want to trade Dak and if Dak agreed to a trade then please tell us who is going to make that trade. Check the Vegas odds who are normally right. They are betting that Dak gets at minimum a 4 year deal at $60 million a year average. They also see the worth being a minimum of two 1st round pick plus two 2nd round picks.

Now who is willing to do that trade? I know many do not believe he is worth it but those people are fans and not fans of Dak. NFL personnel will tell you differently.

So who are the likely teams. Seems to me, it would be New England, Minnesota, Las Vegas and Seattle. Other teams like Denver, Washington, Chicago and New York Giants are either going with rookies for sure or waiting until next year i.e. possibly Arizona. The ones that could easily make it work would be New England and Las Vegas from a cap space perspective. Minnesota would have a tough time making it work but could. Dallas isn't going to trade within the division, Chicago is going to take Williams at #1, Arizona would have to big a cap hit with Murray and Denver would have to cut half the team to make a trade.

Realistically, Las Vegas is the best solution since the Jones have a good history with Davis from Las Vegas. So would they give up 1st and 2nd in 2024 and 2025, I would doubt it but who knows. Would New England give up #3, #34 and a 1st in 2025 when you know they need a QB but they need a whole lot more than just a QB. Could Minnesota somehow be in play if they were willing to say trade Justin Jefferson to Arizona for #4 and #35 then trade with Dallas for Dak giving up #4, #11 and #35 and 2nd in 2025. Minnesota would be the favorite to win there division even without Jefferson.

If Dak is traded, will they ride 2024 with Trey Lance? Chances of getting one of the top 3 QBs is slim, so would everyone be happy with Nix or Penix or J.J. McCarthy? So many things could happen although very unlikely.

blueblood70

Reaction score
:hammer:I keep seeing posts that Dak wouldn’t make close to $40 million on the open market.:rolleyes::facepalm: If that was true Dak would have signed the extension last offseason. Believe me there is a team that would give Dak what he wants. Cousins is 36 years old coming off of a torn Achilles and an embarrassing playoff loss to the Giants. He was a free agent for two hours. Dak was second in MVP voting, 2nd team All-Pro, and is 31 years old starting next season. He would have had at least 3 teams bidding for him.
Exactly, I'm not advocating overpaying for Prescott but this is ridiculous that they are already into this process fans don't realize that we're past that point for 2024,

if they were gonna do this it would be done already just like the Falcons day one of tampering went and got Kirk cousins teams who wanted a quarterback before the draft like you said at least three to four you would think the Steelers would have wanted Prescott over what they got as far as Russell Wilson before the trade for fields but yeah at least three to four teams would give up draft picks and money for Prescott if he wanted to be traded but that's not going to happen right now because again we're past that point...

So he's either gonna get extended before the season starts which is still a big possibility or he's going to be a free agent and this team is going to find out when he goes to another team and successful maybe like Peyton Manning goes and wins the Super bowl somewhere else and they're going to find out if we struggle for the next five or six years because we can't find a quarterback what it really feels like to lose because somehow they believe that constantly going to the playoffs and losing is a terrible thing given that we could be not making the playoffs and losing for real...
They seem to be in a hurry to go into rebuild mode and be bad I mean maybe we get lucky and that's not gonna happen but right now we have a proven commodity but we don't have to give up draft picks for and the market for quarterbacks are just that, you have to pay or you're gonna be that team looking forever for a quarterback. I'm not sure what Prescott or his agents are actually demanding or would want but I would hope that if they do get an extension that he accepts something around 52 to 55,000,000 that would be very in my opinion team friendly I know it don't feel like it but not set some ridiculous new precedent.​

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
It would be funny if Jerry passively aggressively offered a 5 year $500 m contract and Dak just takes it and we fill the roster out with mud dogs

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Under the current circumstances, I think he would veto a trade to any team. He wants to be a Cowboy, it's his dream job. However, if he was benched or told he would no longer be the starter, he might accept a trade to a playoff contender team where he could still start. But sitting on the bench in Dallas is just as good as doing so anywhere and he wouldn't want to do that. Lucky for him, he is where he wants to be and securely has the starting QB job locked up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
For those that want to trade Dak and if Dak agreed to a trade then please tell us who is going to make that trade. Check the Vegas odds who are normally right. They are betting that Dak gets at minimum a 4 year deal at $60 million a year average. They also see the worth being a minimum of two 1st round pick plus two 2nd round picks.

Now who is willing to do that trade? I know many do not believe he is worth it but those people are fans and not fans of Dak. NFL personnel will tell you differently.

So who are the likely teams. Seems to me, it would be New England, Minnesota, Las Vegas and Seattle. Other teams like Denver, Washington, Chicago and New York Giants are either going with rookies for sure or waiting until next year i.e. possibly Arizona. The ones that could easily make it work would be New England and Las Vegas from a cap space perspective. Minnesota would have a tough time making it work but could. Dallas isn't going to trade within the division, Chicago is going to take Williams at #1, Arizona would have to big a cap hit with Murray and Denver would have to cut half the team to make a trade.

Realistically, Las Vegas is the best solution since the Jones have a good history with Davis from Las Vegas. So would they give up 1st and 2nd in 2024 and 2025, I would doubt it but who knows. Would New England give up #3, #34 and a 1st in 2025 when you know they need a QB but they need a whole lot more than just a QB. Could Minnesota somehow be in play if they were willing to say trade Justin Jefferson to Arizona for #4 and #35 then trade with Dallas for Dak giving up #4, #11 and #35 and 2nd in 2025. Minnesota would be the favorite to win there division even without Jefferson.

If Dak is traded, will they ride 2024 with Trey Lance? Chances of getting one of the top 3 QBs is slim, so would everyone be happy with Nix or Penix or J.J. McCarthy? So many things could happen although very unlikely.
Way too long. Did not read. Try making shorter posts. Nothing needs to be said here that is several paragraphs long. Know the audience here. We don't want to read several paragraphs on one person's opinions.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Under the current circumstances, I think he would veto a trade to any team. He wants to be a Cowboy, it's his dream job. However, if he was benched or told he would no longer be the starter, he might accept a trade to a playoff contender team where he could still start. But sitting on the bench in Dallas is just as good as doing so anywhere and he wouldn't want to do that. Lucky for him, he is where he wants to be and securely has the starting QB job locked up.
He might not veto a trade but i dont see many scenario's where he would't choose FA over a trade..even if he sat a year he would be set to make a killing on the FA QB market.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think a fresh start with a new team would be the best for him and for us!
Dak can demand a fresh start, by asking for more money that GM Jethro will have to decline.

Dak holds all the face cards.

Dak's agent stacked the deck and genius GM Jethro signed it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He might not veto a trade but i dont see many scenario's where he would't choose FA over a trade..even if he sat a year he would be set to make a killing on the FA QB market.
You're ignoring my point he wants to be here very badly.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
i get your point and agree.. i was talking more to if the Franchise decided they were moving on
Wow, that's a huge if. It's pointless to speculate at this juncture, IMHO. The Cowboys are no good without Dak so they are handcuffed to his contract continuing. The Cowboys moving on is a world that only exists in a different dimension.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Exactly, I'm not advocating overpaying for Prescott but this is ridiculous that they are already into this process fans don't realize that we're past that point for 2024,

if they were gonna do this it would be done already just like the Falcons day one of tampering went and got Kirk cousins teams who wanted a quarterback before the draft like you said at least three to four you would think the Steelers would have wanted Prescott over what they got as far as Russell Wilson before the trade for fields but yeah at least three to four teams would give up draft picks and money for Prescott if he wanted to be traded but that's not going to happen right now because again we're past that point...

So he's either gonna get extended before the season starts which is still a big possibility or he's going to be a free agent and this team is going to find out when he goes to another team and successful maybe like Peyton Manning goes and wins the Super bowl somewhere else and they're going to find out if we struggle for the next five or six years because we can't find a quarterback what it really feels like to lose because somehow they believe that constantly going to the playoffs and losing is a terrible thing given that we could be not making the playoffs and losing for real...
They seem to be in a hurry to go into rebuild mode and be bad I mean maybe we get lucky and that's not gonna happen but right now we have a proven commodity but we don't have to give up draft picks for and the market for quarterbacks are just that, you have to pay or you're gonna be that team looking forever for a quarterback. I'm not sure what Prescott or his agents are actually demanding or would want but I would hope that if they do get an extension that he accepts something around 52 to 55,000,000 that would be very in my opinion team friendly I know it don't feel like it but not set some ridiculous new precedent.​
I think Dak wants fair market, his agent wants a game changing contract, and the Joneses want to gain back control with a longer extension. The key part of the wording is that Dak and the Cowboys want each other. This will be a difficult negotiation just like Burrows contract was for Cincinnati. Lawrence is up for an extension as well so you have to factor his contract in the equation.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Wow, that's a huge if. It's pointless to speculate at this juncture, IMHO. The Cowboys are no good without Dak so they are handcuffed to his contract continuing. The Cowboys moving on is a world that only exists in a different dimension.
i agree with this also have been saying the ones who think this FO being absent in FA means Dak is not getting extended will be let down again..i dont see any real options for them other than to extend him.

Brax

Reaction score
No because he gives them the best chance to win. It’s not rocket science. He led the team to 12 wins last year with zero running game and a defense that was a paper bag stopping the run.
Win what? Another pathetic participation trophy. Beat up some dreg teams, pat his stats against dregs, disappear in critical games and the playoffs, be down 48-16 with 6 minutes left to play against the 7th seed after throwing 2 first half int. He will never say yes to a trade because he knows Jerry is stuck there’s no upside to say yes trade me because he’s a FA next season or he gets a a huge contract extension and he knows it doesn’t matter if he wins or loses he knows he can’t lose any money he also knows he just can’t win a game against good teams and in the playoff's, Dak has achieved nothing but failure for the team but he’s got his money so he’s good with that

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Win what? Another pathetic participation trophy. Beat up some dreg teams, pat his stats against dregs, disappear in critical games and the playoffs, be down 48-16 with 6 minutes left to play against the 7th seed after throwing 2 first half int. He will never say yes to a trade because he knows Jerry is stuck there’s no upside to say yes trade me because he’s a FA next season or he gets a a huge contract extension and he knows it doesn’t matter if he wins or loses he knows he can’t lose any money he also knows he just can’t win a game against good teams and in the playoff's, Dak has achieved nothing but failure for the team but he’s got his money so he’s good with that
you just described every player to play here for the last 28 years...is Dak in this boat..yes he is along with every other player/coach to come through here since we started 'Jerry's way"

Jayinem

Reaction score
Who wants who more Dak wants Cowboys or Cowboys want Dak?

If Dak wants out so bad he could tell the front office he will wave his no trade clause for the right situation at any time but AFAIK he hasn't. I also don't think the Cowboys have come to Dak asking him if he would so how do we even know?

I think they both want to work it out but Cowboys don't want to overpay and Dak wants to get paid big bucks.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think Dak wants fair market, his agent wants a game changing contract, and the Joneses want to gain back control with a longer extension. The key part of the wording is that Dak and the Cowboys want each other. This will be a difficult negotiation just like Burrows contract was for Cincinnati. Lawrence is up for an extension as well so you have to factor his contract in the equation.
I'm not afraid of losing tank Lawrence, I mean at some point you have to let some of your older aging players that want bigger contracts go like tyron but at quarterback you're playing with fire trying to replace a quarterback thinking hey we could put enough great players around him for the money we're saving by allowing our veteran to walk and you're going to find out that the key piece is the quarterback and people can blame Prescott for all our failings in the playoffs... umm I watched every one of those games and I can tell you right now he's never had the support that Troy and Roger had not with the coaching staff ,not with the schemes ,definitely not with the offensive line in the run game, and for sure there's been at least three of those playoff losses that can be looked at as defensive issues...

So again, IF you want to replace Prescott so you have more money to build a better team that you think then you can put an average quarterback there and then win games, you better look around the NFL that doesn't happen very often its why SF gave up on JimmyG and Lance even with that squad, same thing with Goff, I mean those two quarterbacks grumpy better teams IE more talented and had a better coaching and still couldn't win the Super bowl.....

I'm not saying I'm afraid to start over and lose Prescott , I'm saying if you're going to get rid of Prescott you might as well deal Parsons ,Diggs, and lamb get what you can for them while they're young and rebuild everything you can't allow Prescott to walk and then renew all those contracts because until you find a elite quarterback that's better than Prescott those pieces aren't helping because they're not helping now what have they done in the playoffs all these big names that we've had that are up for new contracts if this fan base wants to move on from Prescott because they think he's not getting it done in the playoffs and he's going to be overpaid well that goes for every great player either with a new contract or up for a new contract deal them away then go find the quarterback and then you can start over with this big reciprocal chasing your tail trying to get the right team together to get farther than the second round that isn't happening overnight...

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I could see him going to Den to be reunited with Ben DiNucci. Maybe Seattle or Tampa. Other then that, most teams are set at QB. If he plays out his contract, Dallas can tag him for around $37M next year. I think if he hits FA or shops around he'll find out he's not going to get a big contract. A rookie contract is half the tag amount and if they draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd round even cheaper with probably the same outcome of barely making the playoffs.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Teams are still giving a 35 year old Kirk Cousins contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and he has won nothing of importance.

Some team out there would give Prescott a huge bag in seconds.
Give Kirk and Dak an IQ test, the results would never be released to the public.