Does anyone seriously think Jerry is a Football Guy

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not sure of what your definition of a “Football Guy” is, but Jerry was co-captain of Arkansas 1964 National Championship game as an offensive lineman. Throughout his time in the NFL he’s learned from so many of the greats that he’s certainly learned even more. So IMO, he’s a football guy more than most here. His only problem is he’s convinced his way is the right way.
So he is a dumb football guy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes, I do think that Jerry Jones is a football guy.

He's a seriously horrendous football guy.
When you think about what it took for a Jerry to win SB's it becomes evident it will not happen again.

1. Jimmy Johnson
2. Herschel Walker trade
3. No salary Cap
* taking Charles Haley and Deion Sanders from the Niners.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
What, lmao? Dak must be the goat then if he could survive it and become a top 5-8 QB & Pat couldnt
I give Americas Choker props for finding regular season success under a horrible coach and a detestable GM. If there was ever a post season bracket comprised solely of teams below .500 my money would be on Prescott.

Last edited:

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Does anyone seriously think Jerry is a Football Guy​

Maybe a few highly paid people on the payroll try and fake it. Actual belief.........probably not.
Yep. Jerry will never be a football guy. For those that doubt that fact, name one organization which would hire Jerry as a GM.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
When you think about what it took for a Jerry to win SB's it becomes evident it will not happen again.

1. Jimmy Johnson
2. Herschel Walker trade
3. No salary Cap
* taking Charles Haley and Deion Sanders from the Niners.
And low IQ Jerruh was the owner who spearheaded the introduction of the salary cap into the National Football League. Which in turn became one of the biggest factors in him descending into complete and utter failure over the last 27 years.

How ironic.

quickccc

Reaction score
(yawn) ,,, seems like more of the same repeated redundant Jerry yap talk.

in fact, his son Stephen (Cap Boy) Jones seems to be running more of the clubs day to day operations.

Nowadays Jerry is more of a figure head than the czar that rules with the mystic uru hammer
yes, He still wants his face and mouth involved to some extent.
But with the present, this club goes as Stephen Cap boy goes. he really leads the charge.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I hate to bring up the same old same old, but what other GM, other than Jerry because he is also the owner, would still have a job with his track record? And throw his 100% nepotism based hired COO and “co-owner” son of his in the same category
if only we had real football people in charge like the bears, jets, browns, chargers, and on and on and on.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
if only we had real football people in charge like the bears, jets, browns, chargers, and on and on and on.
The Bears played in the SB in 2006.

Jets played in a conference championship in 1998, 2009, and 2010.

Chargers played in a conference championship in 2007.

All three have accomplished more than the Cowboys since the Cowboys last played for anything that mattered.

You should have stopped with the Browns who are one of only 5 teams to not play in any conference title games in the 21st century along with the Cowboys.

When trying to show examples to win an argument it is poor form to show examples that have accomplished more than who you are trying to defend.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's a money guy. Winning is a "nice to have" money is a must have. jerry having fun, is a must have. If winning happens thats just an extra bonus...certainly not a priority.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Howie Roseman Philly John Lynch SF Joe Schoen Giants Joe Douglas Jets these are guys who run football teams , scouting depts and yes you get results or you’re canned simple .

Jerry is the “ face “ of the Cowboys he goes to the senior bowl with cap & whistle it’s cute sure that’s it . Let’s not kid anyone who thinks differently , Jerry is the PR version . Has the radio show which I wouldn’t spend 2 mins listening to . McClay and the nuts & bolts make suggestions Jerry signs off makes the draft night phone call .

Want a “ football guy “ I give you Brad Holmes took over pure garbage from the previous regime , went out hired Dan Campbell drafted the likes of Sewell Hutchinson to control the lines , now the Lions are challenging SF and Lynch for NFC kingdom .
I realized back in the early 2000's that Jerry did not have the football acumen to be the GM of a Professional Football team.
He has kinda proved my point since then.
I take absolutley no joy in this.
I want my favorite sports team to excel.
Unfortunitely we are never getting near another SB until Jerry moves on.
I have come to terms with this reality.
Since Snyder was run out of DC, we are now the last team to be held hostage by a poor owner.
Since the team has been so financially successful, I doubt Jerry is not going anywhere soon.
We are now the laughing stock of the rest of the NFL.
As Troy stated, I live in the past and enjoy past glories of what the team used to be.
Sigh......

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think we all can agree the Cowboys draft well but do such a poor job in free agency that compromises the overall success of the team. So from that perspective no he is not IMO but not because he can't but chooses not to. I have said many times Jerry and Stephen are lazy........don't wanna roll up their sleeves or want the stress that comes with gambling on free agents. They attack the free-agent market like a scared QB afraid to make mistakes. So any moves they make carry little or no risk.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Howie Roseman Philly John Lynch SF Joe Schoen Giants Joe Douglas Jets these are guys who run football teams , scouting depts and yes you get results or you’re canned simple .

Jerry is the “ face “ of the Cowboys he goes to the senior bowl with cap & whistle it’s cute sure that’s it . Let’s not kid anyone who thinks differently , Jerry is the PR version . Has the radio show which I wouldn’t spend 2 mins listening to . McClay and the nuts & bolts make suggestions Jerry signs off makes the draft night phone call .

Want a “ football guy “ I give you Brad Holmes took over pure garbage from the previous regime , went out hired Dan Campbell drafted the likes of Sewell Hutchinson to control the lines , now the Lions are challenging SF and Lynch for NFC kingdom .
He certainly is a football guy. Jerry Jones was an offensive lineman who co-captained the University of Arkansas national championship football team in 1964. On a side note, Jimmy Johnson was a defensive end there as well. That's where they started forging their friendship. In my opinion, a great owner, an inconsistent out of his league GM post 90s when the salary cap and free agency required more foresight, higher football IQ and skill at the position.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think he qualifies as a football guy. 30 plus years involved deeply in the nfl qualifies as a football guy imo.

The issue is he is absolutely terrible at the job and has no concern of losing his job. So the fans are left with the worst case scenario. Our football guy is terrible and is t going to go anywhere…and the Ken who follows will be worse

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

nobody and I mean nobody in their right mind thinks Jerry is a football guy. Jerry is a brilliant business and marketing man. I mean brilliant.

Sully

Reaction score

Results speak for themselves. Jerry is a great BUSINESS MAN. Making the NFL grow, make billions and the Cowboys a rich organization.
Jerry is a poor GENERAL MANAGER. His pride has destroyed the team, ON THE FIELD, with not a single NFC Conference game since 1996. ZERO