Does Rush read defenses and see the field better than Dak?

Tommy

Reaction score
He's throwing it quickly because that's the way the game is being called for him. It is a simplified offense for him, which is smart. With this defense, they need to call similar games for Dak.
And I think they will. Having a good defense changes things for the offense.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
This is an interesting take.. so I looked it up.. The cool thing about all these new age stats is they have numbers on almost everything.. Dak's air yards per attempt (how far in the air the ball travels) was 7.7 last season, which was the second lowest of his career trailing only his 2018 which was the first year the stat was tracked. This year so far Rush's air yards per attempt is 7.8. So in essence his average pass attempt is going 3.6 inches further than Dak's.. but his completion percentage is considerably lower. 60.8% to 68.8% for Dak last year. No sane person is going to tell me that a completion percentage 8 points lower is worth an extra 4 inches per pass. And again, Dak's numbers were dragged down by the post injury slump. Up until the New England game his completion percentage was I believe 75% and his yards per attempt was approaching 9. Now if Dak continues to play as he did against Tampa you might have a case.. but even the most fervent Dak haters don't think that's the best he can do.. Even if he just gets back to the post-injury level he will surpass Rush.. and if he gets back to the pre-injury level.. he will surpass pretty much everybody not named Rodgers or Mahomes. And even they might not be out of reach..

40$ million, vs chump change ...... And your skewing peanuts .....

Enough said !!
Dak is overpaid and overhyped.

Let the Cooper Clutch ball !!

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Numbers alone don’t mean squat in a vacuum.
Aikman didn’t have stellar numbers. He won big games when it mattered. Dak hasn’t. Against winning teams his numbers aren’t that good.

Beating up on the East to pad numbers needs to be looked at. Cooper has been steady, and not turning the ball over.
Yes he won’t really be judged until Sunday, but his receivers haven’t been spinning around to make catches, and he hasn’t missed wide open guys like Dak has. He’s made some great throws, Dak hasn’t.

I’ll take slow and steady wins over garbage numbers any day.

Dak is way overpriced, and hasn’t improved against winning teams which is really the yard stick, not huge numbers against losing teams. The team is stuck with an albatross, but that’s all on Jerry.
Again let’s see what happens this weekend.

Bingo, spot on !

Slick

Reaction score
Yeah sure.. people who bring up salary all the time are doing so for purely altruistic reasons.. The bottom line is that the only guy who needs to feel like Dak is worth his salary is Jerry.. The rest of us are just pissin in the wind. Which is why I don't talk about salaries.. I don't pay them and I don't like pee in my face..
You are ridiculous. Get over yourself.

Yes I bring up Dak's contract. A budget cap is a incredibly large factor in the NFL today. It impacts the other 51 players, and determines talent acquisition, and retention.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You are ridiculous. Get over yourself.

Yes I bring up Dak's contract. A budget cap is a incredibly large factor in the NFL today. It impacts the other 51 players, and determines talent acquisition, and retention.

It has been that way for going on 30 years.. and it's not going to change.. If Dak's (or anybody's) salary bothers you that much then that's on you. It doesn't bother me one iota. I worry about his play not his pay.. His play impacts my emotional well being.. His pay? Has less impact than an itch in my.. er saddle area..

Slick

Reaction score
It has been that way for going on 30 years.. and it's not going to change.. If Dak's (or anybody's) salary bothers you that much then that's on you. It doesn't bother me one iota. I worry about his play not his pay.. His play impacts my emotional well being.. His pay? Has less impact than an itch in my.. er saddle area..
If it's been going on over 30 years it is a valid discussion point in the NFL.

Neither his payday, or play impact me in anyway.

kskboys

Reaction score
If it's been going on over 30 years it is a valid discussion point in the NFL.

Neither his payday, or play impact me in anyway.
I haven't detected any envy whatsoever in the the discussions concerning Dak's salary.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Rush might be smarter on the whiteboard by a smidge, but Dak is no slouch.

What's happening is that Dak is falling into the same hero-ball trap that Romo did. Romo was a talented QB who knew the game in and out, but would get too aggressive because he trusted his arm more than he trusted Garrett's garbage play calling. Defenses learned that they could show bear fronts to dupe him into audibling out of pass plays, and he had a habit of forcing plays when nothing was there.

By Romo's own admission, things never fully clicked for him until halfway through 2013, 6 years into his career. He learned when to stay within the gameplan and when to check out of JG's godawful play and save a 3rd down. So Romo had about 2 years in 2013-14 where he went Super Saiyan, and then his failing back robbed us of his best football yet.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I think so.

I think Dak is a better player obviously but I think Rush see’s the field better and at times actually takes chances downfield to players who are covered to draw flags.

I said this after Dak got hurt that Rush will push the ball down the field.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think Rush might be smarter on the whiteboard by a smidge, but Dak is no slouch.

What's happening is that Dak is falling into the same hero-ball trap that Romo did. Romo was a talented QB who knew the game in and out, but would get too aggressive because he trusted his arm more than he trusted Garrett's garbage play calling. Defenses learned that they could show bear fronts to dupe him into audibling out of pass plays, and he had a habit of forcing plays when nothing was there.

By Romo's own admission, things never fully clicked for him until halfway through 2013, 6 years into his career. He learned when to stay within the gameplan and when to check out of JG's godawful play and save a 3rd down. So Romo had about 2 years in 2013-14 where he went Super Saiyan, and then his failing back robbed us of his best football yet.

I assume you meant audibling out of RUN plays here.. because that's what Romo nearly always did up until the end of 2013.. which by the way was his 10th year not his 6th. Remember Romo was signed as a UDFA in 2004. He just spent all of '04 and '05 as pretty much the scout team QB and only got tapped as the backup in 2006 which also ended up being his first year getting any starts. 2013 was actually his 7th year as the full time starter.

But yeah.. Romo didn't really have the light go on until 2013. I remember the first time I started to believe he could lead us to the championship was on that game winning drive against Washington in week 15 that year. The one where he finished with a herniated disc in his back. That's when I saw it in his eyes that this dude had figured it out. I have not seen that look on Dak's face just yet. Teams are still fooling him with the walk up into the A-gaps to get him to audible to a pass and then drop into coverage. Until Dak starts to win the chess match with DCs on that stuff he will never reach his full potential just as Romo didn't until he figured it out.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
These threads are absurd. For all of those people out there giving breath to this debate about Prescott vs. Rush, let’s just cut it out & be happy that we actually have a backup that we know can come in & win games if the situation depends on it.

Don’t expect to see Prescott benched when he’s ready to go.