Does the Cardinals flat out releasing Deandre Hopkins lessen the blow for what we got for Amari?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Talk about backfiring on the Cowboys, they move on from Amari and end up having to depend on Noah Brown in some critical situations.

jrumann59

Reaction score
apples and oranges, Hopkins coming off a injury shortened season 2 years ago and PEDs suspension last year. Teams have to wonder what his availability would be. Amari while "underperforming" only missed time to COVID Protocol. The issue with Amari is, it was no secret Dallas was going to off load him, what team is going to fork over a high pick for a guy that probably be a release candidate. Hopkins no one knows if he will be old Deandre circa 2017 or 2018 or what he has been trending towards since 2019

blueblood70

Reaction score
Watching a 30 year old DeAndre Hopkins, who’s coming off back to back down injury plagued seasons get released doesn’t lessen the blow for what we got for Amari Cooper. Amari was 27 when we traded him and was coming off just under 900 yards and he led the team with 8 TD catches. His lack of production had to do with the Cowboys not targeting him enough. He had just under 1200 yards in Cleveland last season with 9 TDs playing with Jacoby Brissett and Deshaun Watson who hasn’t gotten his game back. He tied his career high with a 14.9 average. He’s still in the prime of his career for crying out loud and the jug head Joneses were stupid enough to trade him for a fifth round pick. The trade came back to bite us resulting in the Cowboys having to bring in TY Hilton during the season. After the season, they traded more for Brandin Cooks than they got for Amari and Cooks isn’t as good as Cooper. The Cooper trade was one of the dumbest moves the Cowboys have ever made.
cooks hands down every bit as good as cooper but keep crying over the trade all 3 are very similar and their deals also in the same ballpark for a reason. hate on the trade all you want, its wasn't as bad as the drama queens make it out to be.

Big_D

Reaction score
cooks hands down every bit as good as cooper but keep crying over the trade all 3 are very similar and their deals also in the same ballpark for a reason. hate on the trade all you want, its wasn't as bad as the drama queens make it out to be.
I don’t know if there was ever a more overrated player? He wasn’t worth the money and he lost his job to Lamb. There’s no backwards move from that point. The fact they still found a team foolish enough to take the contract was phenomenal. It was time to move on and you knew it when he signed the deal. Although what the team did from that point didn’t make much sense, but Coopers time in Dallas ran its course.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Isn't it crazy that Cowboys essentially couldn't get much more than a 5th for Amari and Cardinals can't find any takers for Hopkins? Do you guys still fault the front office for not being able to get much for Amari?
It’s a good question. The salary cap changes everything. It is amazing how perceived value doesn’t match actual value most time. Plus stars get dumped more often than you think. AZ is a dumpster fire. That’s what happens when you build a franchise around a low character QB. Now they are stuck. Does not excuse Jerry in my opinion. They leaked so many stories about Cooper it couldn’t help but drop his value. In my opinion they shouldn’t have signed him especially if Lamb was on the radar. He should have been franchised and cut loose a year later. Hopkins being cut is remarkable though. If he is healthy and motivated someone is going to get a real good player.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Isn't it crazy that Cowboys essentially couldn't get much more than a 5th for Amari and Cardinals can't find any takers for Hopkins? Do you guys still fault the front office for not being able to get much for Amari?
2 things were involved with the departure of Cooper, he was a salary dump and coaches/front office wanted him out of the building. Not getting vaccinated and bad mouthing the coaches to the media sealed his fate. Nobody is going to take on such a large salary, when they know the teams will ultimately release the player. Teams get what they can before that happens. Cooper was a good receiver, but was being paid to be a great one, which he never was.

Big_D

Reaction score
2 things were involved with the departure of Cooper, he was a salary dump and coaches/front office wanted him out of the building. Not getting vaccinated and bad mouthing the coaches to the media sealed his fate. Nobody is going to take on such a large salary, when they know the teams will ultimately release the player. Teams get what they can before that happens. Cooper was a good receiver, but was being paid to be a great one, which he never was.
He was being paid to be the #1 and was replaced. I know some want to make it about Jerry and the vaccine, but the bottom line is there’s a new #1 WR in town and his days were numbered to begin with once Lamb was drafted.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
He was being paid to be the #1 and was replaced. I know some want to make it about Jerry and the vaccine, but the bottom line is there’s a new #1 WR in town and his days were numbered to begin with once Lamb was drafted.
They don't even play the same position.

Big_D

Reaction score
They don't even play the same position.
Doesn’t matter, one was being paid to be the #1 and those targets that used to go to him now go to a better receiver. Lamb is the top guy here and will be paid as that and is 1st in the progression. You don’t then move the old #1 to the 2 spot. Plus you already knew when he signed the deal that the 21 season would be his last. It wasn’t really a surprise.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter, one was being paid to be the #1 and those targets that used to go to him now go to a better receiver. Lamb is the top guy here and will be paid as that and is 1st in the progression. You don’t then move the old #1 to the 2 spot. Plus you already knew when he signed the deal that the 21 season would be his last. It wasn’t really a surprise.
I dunno, man. I prefer the WR room that can actually score points against playoff teams.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I am not bothering to read any of this thread other than it’s title.

The Cardinals as an organization are an utter clown show. At least in Dallas, we get the whole performance.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Cardinals is a mess right now. Plus this has been rumoured for some time. No team is going to give up a pick when they know they can get a player for cheap at a lower cost. The problem with the Amari deal was the fact they pretty much gave him away and later in the year needed a WR. Also add in the fact Gallup wasn't 100% healthy (which show) and Amari took a pay cut.

Big_D

Reaction score
I dunno, man. I prefer the WR room that can actually score points against playoff teams.
Value vs production. The paycheck isn’t justifiable at all once he’s replaced and sliding down the depth chart. No team does that. And you talk like they were winning playoff games before when that Bucs win a few months ago was probably their best offensive playoff performance in decades?

zerofill

Reaction score
Was better for Amari for sure... because the quiet guy, was actually getting sick of Dak.
Still close too CeeDee numbers without the amazing 1st ballot hall of famer Prescott throwing the ball.
With 29 less receptions and 24 less targets. Same number of TDs. I don't think Amari is hating the deal now.

Dallas got rid of the contract. Better for both parties it looks like.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Schadenfreude always works for me. Ahem.

Proof

Reaction score
Titans came out and said they were getting rid of AJ Brown and he netted a 1st. If Jerry came and said they were getting rid of Micah it wouldn’t matter. They’d knock down his door to get him.
nuk is older, paid more, recently suspended for peds and AZ is likely ranking again. neither the aj deal nor the amari deal are comparable really

MyFairLady

Reaction score
These bums on their massive deals have negative value. Anyone with any brain at all can see that.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
The amount of excuses this FO gets is astonishing and it'll continue to be the reason why we're just good enough for the playoffs but not good enough for anything else. There's no accountability at all and alot of our fan base is the blame.