Does the Cardinals flat out releasing Deandre Hopkins lessen the blow for what we got for Amari?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It doesn’t lessen the blow for me. It makes me think that Dallas and Arizona have mismanaged the two WRs and their contracts equally as ineptly. The last thing I’d like to see is a similarity between Dallas and Arizona.
Texans got a 6th for Cooks.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't fault the FO for what they did. But the question as to whether or not it lessens the blow, the answer would be absolutely not.

If you got your leg ripped off by a great white, would you feel any better if someone else got both ripped off?
Yeah lol. I would lol. Could’ve been both of my legs lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Isn't it crazy that Cowboys essentially couldn't get much more than a 5th for Amari and Cardinals can't find any takers for Hopkins? Do you guys still fault the front office for not being able to get much for Amari?
it was never an issue with me

AC had a huge deal that would be hard to move and was up for cut status. Same with Brandin cooks all on that level all got low draft picks or cut..it happens.. all the Jones got fleeced and were stupid for letting it known he was might be cut etc etc umm the NFL is not stupid they figure that out for themselves. the fact we got cooks for a 5th already was a clue but this seals it the Jones did the best they could. why would a team not g offer 5th, 6th or 7th for DHop and retain his services vs allow him to walk free and have to fight 10 teams for his services.. its just business.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, because other teams' mistakes do not justify Jerry's mistakes.
its yes because it was NOT a mistake, sorry NFL business says it happens all the time. its how we got cooks and gilmore and why Hop was released and even a plyer like Ramseys didn't go for bigger value./. salry cap and age dictate these deals. it was in fact the right move for the FO and this team they needed cap relief and at least got something for coop. didnt we use that pick on bland??

sorry we do not need to revicit this coops 22mil was an anchor for this team and no one wanted that deal and a high draft pick, it was one ro the other. Wasnt much interests in taking on coops deal, thats a fact. he wasn't being bid on much like Dhop got no real offers.

blueblood70

Reaction score
NFL franchises - along with sports teams at every level - is dynamic.
CONSTANT ACTIVITY \ CHANGE.
That could equate to progress - OR regress - depending on the decision makers = who is in charge.

With a new GM and HC, the Arizona Cardinals are doing a makeover = rebuild -- jettisoning past greats and significant contributors -- to construct a squad ASAP that can compete in the NFC West, as the Rams have bottomed out (after an NFL Title), the 49ers still a legit SB contender, and the Seahawks trying to get back in the mix with the dinosaur Pete Carroll still at the helm.
Hopkins is a "sunk cost abandonment" by the new regime.
the Jones however made this move and still remained 12-5 like the season before and got to the 2nd round of the playoffs. it made sense and was a necessity. why we will have top revisit this argument is moot. its over

the issue was the FO not ralizing tolbert would be slow learner, Washington would get hurt and Gallup was a slow healer.. it was an oversight, the move that would have been better would have been kept Ced Wilson in hindsight but at the time they did what was best for the team when it came to the cap etc.,

conner01

Reaction score
At the time people pointed out that his contract was made to restructure. They pointed out that any team acquiring him was getting a decent contract they could manipulate for cap purposes so the notion his contract was basically untradeable was an overstatement.

And sure enough the Browns promptly restructured him.
Any contract can be restructured but that doesn’t lower the actual cost, just the cap number

HungryLion

Reaction score
The frustration over the Amari trade would have been lessened if the front office actually had a plan for replacing him. They didn’t. Our passing game suffered. We got bounced in the divisional round again.

Also, the cardinals are a team that is clearly tanking while their franchise QB is hurt and out for the season

The cowboys weren’t tanking and were trying to compete for a superbowl, or so I’m told.

Toro9

Reaction score
Not to me, considering he was a solid WR and we gave up a first and only had him 3.5 years.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Isn't it crazy that Cowboys essentially couldn't get much more than a 5th for Amari and Cardinals can't find any takers for Hopkins? Do you guys still fault the front office for not being able to get much for Amari?
Said at the time that they were cutting the contract before the player,,, many laughed.

Jarntt

Reaction score
No, we were rightfully going to cut Amari because of his cap hit. Getting anything from him was better than nothing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Watching a 30 year old DeAndre Hopkins, who’s coming off back to back down injury plagued seasons get released doesn’t lessen the blow for what we got for Amari Cooper. Amari was 27 when we traded him and was coming off just under 900 yards and he led the team with 8 TD catches. His lack of production had to do with the Cowboys not targeting him enough. He had just under 1200 yards in Cleveland last season with 9 TDs playing with Jacoby Brissett and Deshaun Watson who hasn’t gotten his game back. He tied his career high with a 14.9 average. He’s still in the prime of his career for crying out loud and the jug head Joneses were stupid enough to trade him for a fifth round pick. The trade came back to bite us resulting in the Cowboys having to bring in TY Hilton during the season. After the season, they traded more for Brandin Cooks than they got for Amari and Cooks isn’t as good as Cooper. The Cooper trade was one of the dumbest moves the Cowboys have ever made.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Watching a 30 year old DeAndre Hopkins, who’s coming off back to back down injury plagued seasons get released doesn’t lessen the blow for what we got for Amari Cooper. Amari was 27 when we traded him and was coming off just under 900 yards and he led the team with 8 TD catches. His lack of production had to do with the Cowboys not targeting him enough. He had just under 1200 yards in Cleveland last season with 9 TDs playing with Jacoby Brissett and Deshaun Watson who hasn’t gotten his game back. He tied his career high with a 14.9 average. He’s still in the prime of his career for crying out loud and the jug head Joneses were stupid enough to trade him for a fifth round pick. The trade came back to bite us resulting in the Cowboys having to bring in TY Hilton during the season. After the season, they traded more for Brandin Cooks than they got for Amari and Cooks isn’t as good as Cooper. The Cooper trade was one of the dumbest moves the Cowboys have ever made.
Well said. Cooper was significantly better than Hopkins last year. If he's still on the team in 2022, Dallas probably goes to the Super Bowl.

I don't even care if they only netted a 5th round pick instead of a 3rd or whatever. They took a championship caliber season and flushed it down the toilet for absolutely no reason.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well said. Cooper was significantly better than Hopkins last year. If he's still on the team in 2022, Dallas probably goes to the Super Bowl.

I don't even care if they only netted a 5th round pick instead of a 3rd or whatever. They took a championship caliber season and flushed it down the toilet for absolutely no reason.
What made the decision even more ridiculous to trade Amari was the fact the Cowboys knew Gallup wouldn’t be ready to start the 2022 season. They were willing to start the 2022 season shorthanded at receiver. It never seemed like we were preparing ourselves to win a championship last year. While Philly was bettering themselves during the offseason by adding a top receiver we moved on from ours. They helped their QB while we took a took a valuable weapon away from ours. It clearly led to them winning the NFC East.