Does the Cardinals flat out releasing Deandre Hopkins lessen the blow for what we got for Amari?

conner01

Reaction score
Isn't it crazy that Cowboys essentially couldn't get much more than a 5th for Amari and Cardinals can't find any takers for Hopkins? Do you guys still fault the front office for not being able to get much for Amari?
We got a fair price for cooper. Some fans don’t factor in players contracts and that’s the most important part of the compensation you get in a trade

conner01

Reaction score
The trade of amari was not a mistake at the time- it was the best they could get and also offload a bad contract on a player that wasn't worth it.

Jerry's mistake was not having a plan to address the wr situation behind lamb
Now that’s reality
The trade was not the mistake
But as you point out the thinking you didn’t need to replace the talent was the real mistake

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We turned a first round pick into a 5th rounder in short order. THAT is a FAIL! You can mince your words, but we turned a Ferrari into a burnt out Fiero.
Typically I would agree with this. But in this case, you have to dig deeper and remember why the Cowboys made that trade.

Mannix

Reaction score
Hell no....what do you expect when you can't keep your mouth shut about anything. Think for ONE second that Roseman and Philly would have gotten fleeced???

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Isn't it crazy that Cowboys essentially couldn't get much more than a 5th for Amari and Cardinals can't find any takers for Hopkins? Do you guys still fault the front office for not being able to get much for Amari?
That we got only a fifth for Amari? Sure. That we traded away Amari when his replacement was coming off an ACL tear and the only moves we made were a cheap FA signing and a third-round pick? No.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Amari trade didn't bother me. However, some of the narratives here did.

The Cowboys traded a contract in addition to a player. Lamb is going to be the big contract WR on this team.

There can only be one........

T-RO

Reaction score
Ask better questions and get more clarity :

-Question: In the offseason on 2022 Was Amari Cooper worth $20 mil per year?
-Answer: At least one team thought so, the Browns

-Question: What was Cooper's surplus value above and beyond $20 mil per year?
-Answer: A 5th round pick...thus the market compensation Dallas received.

-Question: Is DreAndre Hopkins worth 27.5 mil per year?
-Answer: Not one team thinks so, consequently he's now on the open market, looking for a new contract

Slightly over-simplifying it here, but that's the gist of it.

In case anyone wonders...Cooper played well enough to earn his money.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I don’t think they hurt their leverage. Coopers contract hurt his value. They said they could’ve got higher than a 5th but couldn’t get people to take his money on.
Understood, that was the larger issue, but they did not help themselves by talking about Copper is a negative way to the press.
I think this has to be extremely obvious ?
What benefit was gained by this unprofessional behavior ?
No upside, and nothing but downside.
Is their any that would disagree with this ?
This is the kind of amatuer stuff this front office does that will drive you crazy as a fan if you let it.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn’t lessen the blow for me. It makes me think that Dallas and Arizona have mismanaged the two WRs and their contracts equally as ineptly. The last thing I’d like to see is a similarity between Dallas and Arizona.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I do not. I was upset about it last year. However, I'm now seeing that it must be difficult to get capital for a WR. It makes sense considering how many WRs are usually available in the draft. So, it makes sense that WRs are likely seen in a similar lense, when it comes to trades, as running backs.

Sydla

Reaction score
No because the Amari trade was reasonable at the time and anyone who thought it was too little had unreasonable expectations.

I don't think they should have traded him, but Amari got what he was worth .
Nope.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't fault the FO for what they did. But the question as to whether or not it lessens the blow, the answer would be absolutely not.

If you got your leg ripped off by a great white, would you feel any better if someone else got both ripped off?

Sydla

Reaction score
We got a fair price for cooper. Some fans don’t factor in players contracts and that’s the most important part of the compensation you get in a trade
At the time people pointed out that his contract was made to restructure. They pointed out that any team acquiring him was getting a decent contract they could manipulate for cap purposes so the notion his contract was basically untradeable was an overstatement.

And sure enough the Browns promptly restructured him.

Big_D

Reaction score
Still funny seeing fans crying over this clown! Low end #1 numbers who disappeared and played with no drive or passion and some still think that was worth the money? He couldn’t be gone soon enough. Don’t take much to be impressed these days