Does the FO even value the S position?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Sydla, Mar 14, 2019.

1. charron

charron Well-Known Member

3,070 Messages
    3,297 Likes Received

Ok I'm good with that. But it's cheaper to pay a good safety than good CB's. Jones is about up and they won't pay him. Getting a safety that is better at creating turnovers will help as we once again draft CB to replace the ones we begin losing next year.

2. Falco78

Falco78 Well-Known Member

1,172 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Why change they are making money like crazy, the business model is working

3. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

2,886 Messages
    2,931 Likes Received
    You obviously have not been paying attention to the safety FA signings

4. charron

3,070 Messages
    3,297 Likes Received

Who is cheaper DLaw or ET? Go do the math and let me know.

5. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,875 Messages
    48,060 Likes Received
    The Thomas trade seems to be a total outlier here. Sure, they tried to get Thomas but there were also many opportunities to get a S beyond Thomas and they have barely batted an eye at them.

And I totally agree with your last paragraph. The logic that you'll just get your upgrade at S in the draft is just dumb. Because that then forces need over BPA. Like for example, what if the DT from Mississippi State falls because some teams get nervous over his recent knee injury. That kid is a Top 10 talent that you should grab at 58. But you can't take him........... because you have to take a 3rd round graded S because you did zero in FA to address the S position.

6. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,875 Messages
    48,060 Likes Received
    It was partly on the players. It was reported that the Rams also noticed tendencies with Smith and LVE in how they attacked the run and moved even pre-snap so the Rams used some motion and other formations to get the LBs running and out of position. That's why Richard was tearing into LVE and the LBs. They were getting fooled by the Rams motions/formations.

That's not to say coaching wasn't a problem that game. Sure as poop, I've ripped them for that game but the players had their own issues that game, especially the LBs. Hopefully they learn with experience.

7. ItzKelz

2,886 Messages
    2,931 Likes Received
    DLaw is not a safety

8. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,875 Messages
    48,060 Likes Received
    I really like Jones. Always have. But I just don't think it's wise to pour a top dollar contract into a CB (kind of like the TB position).

It will be interesting to see what they do with Jones. I expect they let him walk.

9. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

13,352 Messages
    4,361 Likes Received
    Deep draft...watch carefully. FA moves and resigning are solidifying the offense. Draft will be about best player with focus on defense.

10. ItzKelz

2,886 Messages
    2,931 Likes Received
    But this is why I say we got out coached. Kris just like he did when he was in Seattle just kept preaching execution instead of making changes to help LVE and the LBs. For example the Patriots defense has no where near the talent of the Cowboys. So to keep McVay and the players from getting any presnap reads....they walked everyone up to the line and backed up at the last second. Mind you this was something everyone had started doing against the Rams even before the playoffs started.....in the playoffs the Cowboys were the only team that implement a version of this strategy.

11. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,875 Messages
    48,060 Likes Received
    Sure but at some point you have to expect your players will pick up what's happening during a game and adjust. But they didn't. They kept getting hoodwinked over and over.

Again, don't think this is a defense of the coaches, who I actually wanted fired last year. Shoot, I might fire them all right now if I could. But the players' hands were in that mess too.

12. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,875 Messages
    48,060 Likes Received
    1) We've resigned a TE who was retired last year, a WR who only played in half the games and picked up the option on a WR coming off a bad broken leg. I am not sure where this "solidifying" of the offense is coming from. The only thing that really is helping the offense, on paper, has nothing to do with FA but rather Frederick's health.

2) We only have 6 picks in this deep draft and no first round pick. You can't build a team properly by saying we'll just draft the guy we need. Because that's how you end up with Taco Charlton............. a DE because we "needed" a DE in that draft. With a little bit of money, the Cowboys could add a S like Iloka or Phillips which would give them an upgrade on Heath and then they could go into the draft without a bit less pressure on them to have to land a starting caliber S.

13. charron

3,070 Messages
    3,297 Likes Received

I know that. I was talking about not drafting a safety because I'd rather draft DL who are more expensive than safeties in FA when you chimed in.

14. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

18,098 Messages
    11,266 Likes Received
    Some of the things this team does is a big mystery. I mean, Heath has been starting for what two year now? Three? Simply cant win championships with scrubs like that in your starting lineup.

15. charron

3,070 Messages
    3,297 Likes Received

Completely agree with that. He's not revis. If he starts getting interceptions maybe then but I'd rather draft a replacement. We've been good at drafting CB's all over the board lately.

16. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,875 Messages
    48,060 Likes Received
    He's Nick Hayden 2.0.

kskboys likes this.
  17. ItzKelz

2,886 Messages
    2,931 Likes Received
    That is Kris Richards plan going into every game. Which is my point. If we execute the scheme we will have success but if we do not execute Kris just yells at the players.and does nothing to help the players. The Rams were depending on this trend for Kris as we did when Kris was in Seattle.

18. LittleD

LittleD Well-Known Member

5,754 Messages
    4,094 Likes Received
    You just have to realize that Garrett loves Heath and the FO does not value safety like guys on the zone. It's just not a priority to spend big money on. They will most likely draft a safety in the first 3 chances in the draft and they may indeed get one of the remaining available safeties for rotational duty. That' just the way it is and isn't going to change.

19. LittleD

LittleD Well-Known Member

5,754 Messages
    4,094 Likes Received
    You mostly have to blame the defensive coaches for screwing the pooch on the Colts and Rams games. Teams figured out how to run on them which opened the pass. Guess what? We have the same defensive coaches again this year so why worry about safeties.

20. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,875 Messages
    48,060 Likes Received
    Look we will never agree on this. If you think this was all a coaching problem, that's as silly as those that simply want to blame the players for everything and say the coaches did a good job.

That Rams game was a failure on both sides, and yes, it falls even on the chosen one, LVE.