Does this front office have a plan?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Not sure if this is Jerry or Stephen.

tenor.gif

cern

Reaction score
I thought it was going to get better with Cheapskate Son making all the decisions now. Lol
Troll. But unlike you i won't go running to the mods. Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream...............

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Troll. But unlike you i won't go running to the mods. Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream...............
Of course. Attack the messenger because you can’t attack the message. Same ole same ole. Lol

Cheapskate Son ... great job. Hahahaha

plasticman

Reaction score
Tom Landry will tell you everything you need to know about the past 25 years of failure:

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan."

The Cowboys have had a plan. Bill Parcells had one. Jason Garrett had one. Remember, the "right kind of guys"? Say what you will about Jason's flaws, he had enough of them, but he could have been the second coming of Vince Lombardi and it wouldn't have mattered.

The Cowboys management had goals. They just never bothered to stay with the plan. When a team makes decisions by committee, it is typically a committee of different, conflicting plans.

Another Landry quote:

"I learned early in sports that to be effective - for a player to play the best he can play - is a matter of concentration and being unaware of distractions, positive or negative."

The 2nd issue is an owner that constantly undermines the authority of the Head Coach. The Head Coach must be seen by players as the single, ultimate authority. There can be absolutely no contradiction to the HC's plans, goals, and policies. If another member of franchise management takes on any type of actions that contradicts the HC then it sends a message that the HC's decisions can be questioned. That is the beginning of the end. It then becomes the familiar game of asking "dad" when "mom" says no. Discipline has been compromised. Every single time that Jerry Jones makes a football related statement to the media it is devastating to the effectiveness of the team. It is a distraction. This is why no other owner crosses that line.

"The secret to winning is constant, consistent management."

Bill Belicek and Bill Parcells both stated that Tom Landry was one of their greatest influences. Is it any wonder?

The Cowboys have been fortunate enough to hire some pretty good talent evaluators. The Cowboys have had some pretty good talent most years but here is the 3rd issue....a team of great players won't win championships, players that form a great team will. That great team must have leadership, the kind of leaders that force the other players to give more than what they were previously willing to.

A team that expected to contend is 1-3. Where is the leadership? Where is the team only meeting in which
the leaders hold their teammates and themselves accountable?

It's almost as if winning a championship is a secondary goal for many of the Cowboys best players. It's as though their first priority is that 2nd contract after their first 3 to 5 seasons. Once they get that big contract, they seem to lose some of their motivation and intensity. They become satisfied. Guys like Collins, Zeke, Jaylon, and Lawrence all got their money only to see their productivity diminish.

"Leadership is getting someone to do what they don't want to do, to achieve what they want to achieve."

The Jones's will search everywhere for an answer to how to build a championship team except the most obvious one, the original source of their franchise's winning tradition.

lukin2006

Reaction score
No, they do not. I've given up thinking that Jone's wants to win a Super Bowl. They just want yes people working for them who feed their egos with bs...and that's essentially where we are at...

I wish we had an owner like Kraft who realizes he can't take the money with him...and I bet he has the last 20 years more than any owner sport...he understands sports...win.

coult44

Reaction score
There are some old sayings about planning and leadership that apply to the Cowboys these days- “When things don’t go as planned, you find out the quality of your leaders”, and “The best leaders are the ones prepared for both good times and bad.”

It’s always easier when the plans you’ve made work. But what do your leaders do when the plan doesn’t work? Or even worse- What if your leaders never had a plan to begin with?

After watching 4 games with this 2020 Cowboys team, it’s obvious things haven’t gone as planned. But I have some questions:
  • What is this team built to be?
  • What is the plan now?
Thoughts/questions about what this team is built to be NOW:
  • The 2016-2019 teams were seemingly built around the offensive line and the running game’s ability to control the tempo of the game with Zeke and the defense’s ability to bend but not break.
  • In those days, Dak’s role was to be an efficient passer who doesn’t turn the ball over. But we don’t have a dominant offensive line anymore. Zeke is a very good RB, but he doesn’t look as explosive as his early days.
  • Travis Frederick’s retirement has had a big impact on the OL.
  • Is this year’s team supposed to be a pass dominant team now?
  • Did the FO drop the ball in the offseason planning for this defense? Haha Clinton-Dix was signed in the offseason and couldn’t even make the roster. Dontari Poe seems like a shadow of what he used to be. Gerald McCoy was injured before pads were put on.
  • Now what?
So what is this FO’s plan to right this sinking ship? Here’s another old saying that applies- “Hope is not a strategy”, although with Jerry and Stephen Jones, that always seems to be the plan- hope things work out. And if they don’t, find someone else to blame for their own failings.

What do you think is the plan this year? Is there a plan?

Bruh, stop , they’ve told us their plan. Why won’t y’all believe it.
1) Dak and Zeke and Amari were presented to us by Jerry as the new triplets.
2) Jerry made Tank Lawerwnce his War Daddy
3) He drafted a look alike to Fred Beard
4) He loves Woods and Thompson so much he wouldn’t bring in the 7th rated safety in football to help out
5)He brought in another yes man to coach
6) He’s counting on two guys to come back and play LB who should have thoughts of retiring if they want to continue to walk in their heads.
7) He has the most passionate and sacrificial middle LB in the league and we should be honored to watch him play.
8) Hea told us they are full of conviction with this team.

Their Plan has been laid out for the world to see. Accept it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, they do not. I've given up thinking that Jone's wants to win a Super Bowl. They just want yes people working for them who feed their egos with bs...and that's essentially where we are at...

I wish we had an owner like Kraft who realizes he can't take the money with him...and I bet he has the last 20 years more than any owner sport...he understands sports...win.
Jethro wants to win badly to prove he’s a football guy not just a celebrity owner. But not enough to get out of the way.

He’s already admitted he’d of fired himself as GM so he’s aware of the problem. Just not interested in owning a team if he’s not running it.

links18

Reaction score
1.) We like our guys.
2.) Moral victories.
3.) Exciting games, regardless of who wins.
3.) Take care of the family.
4.) When you have to ditch family, jump at the first snake oil salesman to come through the door to replace him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
There are some old sayings about planning and leadership that apply to the Cowboys these days- “When things don’t go as planned, you find out the quality of your leaders”, and “The best leaders are the ones prepared for both good times and bad.”

It’s always easier when the plans you’ve made work. But what do your leaders do when the plan doesn’t work? Or even worse- What if your leaders never had a plan to begin with?

After watching 4 games with this 2020 Cowboys team, it’s obvious things haven’t gone as planned. But I have some questions:
  • What is this team built to be?
  • What is the plan now?
Thoughts/questions about what this team is built to be NOW:
  • The 2016-2019 teams were seemingly built around the offensive line and the running game’s ability to control the tempo of the game with Zeke and the defense’s ability to bend but not break.
  • In those days, Dak’s role was to be an efficient passer who doesn’t turn the ball over. But we don’t have a dominant offensive line anymore. Zeke is a very good RB, but he doesn’t look as explosive as his early days.
  • Travis Frederick’s retirement has had a big impact on the OL.
  • Is this year’s team supposed to be a pass dominant team now?
  • Did the FO drop the ball in the offseason planning for this defense? Haha Clinton-Dix was signed in the offseason and couldn’t even make the roster. Dontari Poe seems like a shadow of what he used to be. Gerald McCoy was injured before pads were put on.
  • Now what?
So what is this FO’s plan to right this sinking ship? Here’s another old saying that applies- “Hope is not a strategy”, although with Jerry and Stephen Jones, that always seems to be the plan- hope things work out. And if they don’t, find someone else to blame for their own failings.

What do you think is the plan this year? Is there a plan?
I have a great dog. Black lab. She chases her tail sometimes. I am sure she has a plan but she is running around in circles. I feel the same with the Dallas FO.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4) He loves Woods and Thompson so much he wouldn’t bring in the 7th rated safety in football to help out
6) He’s counting on two guys to come back and play LB who should have thoughts of retiring if they want to continue to walk in their heads.
7) He has the most passionate and sacrificial middle LB in the league and we should be honored to watch him play.

Sadly, if pressed, this is probably what Jerry actually believes. But he believes all his own BS. Starting with the idea that he is a “football guy” despite the decades of evidence to the contrary. Jerry’s now like the senile rich guy who’s lost touch with reality. If the rest of the Jones family has any touch with reality, they should try to get him on the yacht on a permanent cruise, while we hope the next Jones isn’t as stubbornly stupid to not hire a real GM.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I kind of get the impression that Jerry and Stephen have really overplayed their hand on this. At a time where sports popularity is being strained, they basically laid an egg in the same exact manner they have been laying eggs for 20+ years. A lot of people are noting the pattern.

Regardless, to answer the OP, I do not think there is a plan. The defense (between the players and coordinator) is critically flawed and there is virtually nothing they can do about it right now. IMO, they should be thinking about tanking the season. Trade some vets for draft picks, try to clean up the cap and start to build with a new coordinator next offseason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have a great dog. Black lab. She chases her tail sometimes. I am sure she has a plan but she is running around in circles. I feel the same with the Dallas FO.
That’s a humorous analogy but the Black Lab eventually succumbs releasing his tail.

Jethro on the other hand never gives up a grip of his tail in a perpetual revolving motion.

blueblood70

Reaction score

how about you accept you dont know everything and your opinions are yours alone, your expectations or the way you choose to see what the Jones have done the way you laid out, are your own.. get past as fan you think you truly know what goes on behind closed doors..

everyone wanted garett and Marinelli gone, they called them uncreative and vanilla , we bring in coaches and let KM go full pass happy and forget about the run game and use zeke like a FB, then a Defensive coach who in the antithesis of vanilla and Mm is not yes man he has skins..

so what we are seeign is the opposite of what we had the last 5plus years , 180 degree turn from it,

now after 4 games its all wrong again.. Fans are the issue..MM and this new staff deserve more time to get what they need to actually implement their PLAN..no offseason and much more work on defense was needed then standard coaching change..
you can preach your ideas and opinions from the roof tops and act as if Jones dont care and all about money does NOT make it true..

KNow this you dont know everything and writing in a football forum gives you no validity to knowing more about Football then our coaches and owners.. sorry but thats a fan issue

its insane to see 70% of posts about firing coaches and cutting all players since game 1 really..sad state of affairs' from the fans more then the coaches

fans with rationalized common sense can see that 4 games is not the time to go full

egotistical egomaniacal clown fans created by the internet and Google..you dont know any more then those you re arguing with

its all opinion..all right and all wrong..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sadly, if pressed, this is probably what Jerry actually believes. But he believes all his own BS. Starting with the idea that he is a “football guy” despite the decades of evidence to the contrary. Jerry’s now like the senile rich guy who’s lost touch with reality. If the rest of the Jones family has any touch with reality, they should try to get him on the yacht on a permanent cruise, while we hope the next Jones isn’t as stubbornly stupid to not hire a real GM.
This is where fans can’t come to grip with Jethro doesn’t care.

He’s not interesting in owning the Cowboys if he’s not running it front and center. It’s the core reason he parted ways with Jimmy who had become the face of HIS franchise. Winning isn’t enough!

blueblood70

Reaction score

when you realize YOUR FEELINGS don't matter when it comes to your sports teams and matters far outside your expertise and your bubble..opinions and feelings , funny thing when coupled with personal expectations thrust upon a group that doesnt know you even exists is where the true issues reside..IN YOUR HEADS

these emotional outbursts full of opinions are whats wrong with society its become all ME and a NOW society...not working throw it, out to hard to deal with...