Does Trey Lance have a future at QB? Maybe, but think he legit could compete for RB1 in Oxnard

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is even more stupid.

Hey, we traded for him, he's ours. Doesn't matter anymore whether we agree w/ it or not. Now, you play him both to see what he can do and to give him more experience.
That's right...for better or worse...play him.

The problem is...Jerry. Either way, he might look wrong. He hates that.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If only we were more serious, like the Jets. I mean, they have probably used 10 1st rd picks on QBs in my lifetime...... I bet their fans would wish they were lucky.
So...why bother trying right? Just rely on luck or surprises. It's worked SO WELL for us! Piled in super bowls!

kskboys

Reaction score
If only we were more serious, like the Jets. I mean, they have probably used 10 1st rd picks on QBs in my lifetime...... I bet their fans would wish they were lucky.
The Jets are actually who I'm thinking will sign Dak if/when he hits FA.

_sturt_

Reaction score
wth is this mush? Dak just came off a season where he was number 2 in MVP voting, and you think this kid who has STUNK when he was playing will compete with him? Then you start talking about him playing RB? Are you Lance's mother?
wth is this mush? Read. Plenty of threads where your comment may be a coherent response, @Reid1boys. This isn't one of them.

_sturt_

Reaction score
How do we know the WR's were not off on their routes?
I hear that, but once you see a pattern of that kind of thing, it reduces the likelihood that the problem lies more with the receiving corps.

Do you have a link to the video? I would like to view it as well.
Of... ? His HS coach talking about him? I think I can dig it out but I'll need to find 5-10 minutes that I don't have at the moment.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IN the past 30 years we have had Troy, Romo, and now Dak. Id say that puts us above about 25 of the teams in the league as far as quality of QB play in the past 30 years.
I said SINCE Troy.

How many other teams have super bowls since Troy?

It's not always just the QB of course.

You seem to object to my comment rather stoutly. We disagree on how to properly get a QB. That's fine.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Which is even more stupid.

Hey, we traded for him, he's ours. Doesn't matter anymore whether we agree w/ it or not. Now, you play him both to see what he can do and to give him more experience.
Wonder if we could try to raise the sophistication of the culture of this board so that more people understand simplistic denigration as more a comment on the poster than a comment on what they're posting about??? In other words, if you just tell me "that's stupid," fine, but that's more a comment on your apparent inability to formulate some argument/line of reason that actually debunks what is said... a comment about you, not the assertion made. Everyone has opinions. Who cares that you (or I) have one. That's not compelling. What's compelling is if you can offer logic or facts that push or pull to a different conclusion than the one offered. In the absence of that, the logic or facts presented remain stout.

shabazz

Reaction score
Was it done intentionally to avoid controversy?
Jerry knew that it would take more time for MM to mentor Lance into a qb that would be at least be decent enough to be "runner-up MVP" level of talent.

Jerry's unveiling of his new project wasn't ready at that point.......2024 he will unleash the beast at the proper time....perhaps in week 11 in garbage time against the Texans when they have pulled their defensive starters

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if we could try to raise the sophistication of the culture of this board so that more people understand simplistic denigration as more a comment on the poster than a comment on what they're posting about??? In other words, if you just tell me "that's stupid," fine, but that's more a comment on your apparent inability to formulate some argument/line of reason that actually debunks what is said... a comment about you, not the assertion made. Everyone has opinions. Who cares that you (or I) have one. That's not compelling. What's compelling is if you can offer logic or facts that push or pull to a different conclusion than the one offered. In the absence of that, the logic or facts presented remain stout.
I think it would be more constructive to just ignore that kind of thing, instead of trying to train humanity to be logical and civil.

Especially if you don't have 5 minutes to find your sources. :) j/k!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I said SINCE Troy.

How many other teams have super bowls since Troy?

It's not always just the QB of course.

You seem to object to my comment rather stoutly. We disagree on how to properly get a QB. That's fine.
any qb drafted outside of the top 10 that turns out to be a franchise qb is all luck. That is a a fact. Because if said franchise qb was so good coming out of college, he wouldnt have made it out of the top 10.

Mahomes, one of the greatest QBs I have ever seen... the chiefs were 100% lucky. Had anyone thought Mahomes would be close to the guy we see today, he would have gone with the top pick... hell, didnt he make it to 11?

IN 2016, I counted 6 or 7 QBs drafted. Goff and Dak were the best, and Goff was a number 1 pick. The rest were all busts. There are probably 10 qbs drafted that are busts to success.
So there is zero reason to draft a qb, when you have one until you think you are down to the guys last 2 years. If the current qb is pretty good, you arent drafting top 10..... so again, all a crapshoot. So many of you think we can just set our sights on the next guy, and go get him. Yea,.... good luck.

Even counting the years since Troy retired, weve still had top 10 qb play in the entire league. Weve had Dak and Romo..... probably 15 teams havent even had 1 qb in their league during that time, let alone 2.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
any qb drafted outside of the top 10 that turns out to be a franchise qb is all luck. That is a a fact. Because if said franchise qb was so good coming out of college, he wouldnt have made it out of the top 10.

Mahomes, one of the greatest QBs I have ever seen... the chiefs were 100% lucky. Had anyone thought Mahomes would be close to the guy we see today, he would have gone with the top pick... hell, didnt he make it to 11?

IN 2016, I counted 6 or 7 QBs drafted. Goff and Dak were the best, and Goff was a number 1 pick. The rest were all busts. There are probably 10 qbs drafted that are busts to success.
So there is zero reason to draft a qb, when you have one until you think you are down to the guys last 2 years. If the current qb is pretty good, you arent drafting top 10..... so again, all a crapshoot. So many of you think we can just set our sights on the next guy, and go get him. Yea,.... good luck.

Even counting the years since Troy retired, weve still had top 10 qb play in the entire league. Weve had Dak and Romo..... probably 15 teams havent even had 1 qb in their league during that time, let alone 2.
So teams that won super bowls never "set their sights on the next guy"?

You are making a good point but you only choose to look at one side of it. It's an agenda driven, cherry picking view.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It depends if you wanna keep dak or not. :p

I actually think Dak played in too many blowouts. Give those other QBs valuable playing time and protect him.
GM Jethro loves the attention of being in the race for the MVP or sack leader or any other thing that brings attention to the Cowboys.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GM Jethro loves the attention of being in the race for the MVP or sack leader or any other thing that brings attention to the Cowboys.
Ah...you just made the case for Dak chasing meaningless stats. Piling them up in blowouts? 3rd in MVP here we come baby!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Assuming you didn't bother to look this up, I'll help ya...........now what do you think? (LOL)

TIL Trey Lance's 40 yard dash for ESPN's college combine was 4.92 seconds
Was that suppose to be coming out of high school? Because he didn't run a 40 coming out of college.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So teams that won super bowls never "set their sights on the next guy"?

You are making a good point but you only choose to look at one side of it. It's an agenda driven, cherry picking view.
Agenda? What possible agenda? Am I actually changing the draft? Changing how teams view the draft.... thats laughable.

Ive never been a Dak supporter, but I also know we will be the Jets if we drop Dak and start trying to add a QB.
Teams that won SBs???? I dont care if they set their sights elsewhere. Lets take a quick look and see.
Tha pats had brady forever. They drafted a QB pretty high. How did that workout? The Broncos drafted a QB pretty high... 1st rd. How did that work out?
For every Lamar, or Love, their are 10 other guys that were absolute busts. The cards drafted qbs in the top 4 of the 1st rd of back to back drafts. How has that worked out for them?

I have zero ageda. Im just giving my often repeated OPINION that the drafting of QBs, unless you have a top 3 pick, is essentially like the lotto. You pray like hell you got lucky.

Remember when there was real debate on who was better? Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning. Colts GUESSED right.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jerry having diarrhea would bring attention to the Cowboys. Anyone using the attention argument is clueless IMO.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agenda? What possible agenda? Am I actually changing the draft? Changing how teams view the draft.... thats laughable.

Ive never been a Dak supporter, but I also know we will be the Jets if we drop Dak and start trying to add a QB.
Teams that won SBs???? I dont care if they set their sights elsewhere. Lets take a quick look and see.
Tha pats had brady forever. They drafted a QB pretty high. How did that workout? The Broncos drafted a QB pretty high... 1st rd. How did that work out?
For every Lamar, or Love, their are 10 other guys that were absolute busts. The cards drafted qbs in the top 4 of the 1st rd of back to back drafts. How has that worked out for them?

I have zero ageda. Im just giving my often repeated OPINION that the drafting of QBs, unless you have a top 3 pick, is essentially like the lotto. You pray like hell you got lucky.

Remember when there was real debate on who was better? Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning. Colts GUESSED right.
What kind of diligence did they do drafting Peyton? Did they see him as a backup? Just a QB to have on the roster? Or did the chase him as THEIR STARTER?

I'm not disagreeing with you per se. Of course there is some luck, guessing and praying.

It is my opinion we haven't gone after a high level QB as our bone fide STARTER.

The last two were fairly successful for mid-round/no round. They just happened to be on the bench. I know it works that way sometimes....but...seems like an afterthought more than DUE DILIGENCE and high priority...successful or not.

I hope this makes a little more sense to you?