Does Trey Lance have a future at QB? Maybe, but think he legit could compete for RB1 in Oxnard

kskboys

Reaction score
Wonder if we could try to raise the sophistication of the culture of this board so that more people understand simplistic denigration as more a comment on the poster than a comment on what they're posting about??? In other words, if you just tell me "that's stupid," fine, but that's more a comment on your apparent inability to formulate some argument/line of reason that actually debunks what is said... a comment about you, not the assertion made. Everyone has opinions. Who cares that you (or I) have one. That's not compelling. What's compelling is if you can offer logic or facts that push or pull to a different conclusion than the one offered. In the absence of that, the logic or facts presented remain stout.
I only wish. You have a few posters whose sole purpose on this board is to run around insulting and denigrating others. Makes the board so much less than what it could be.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now do playoff wins.
Exactly. The guy has a point, to a point. There certainly is luck and guessing. It's 6 of one half dozen of the other. Laying the eggs all in one basket is missing the big picture.

I'd RATHER have a more direct approach to our starting QB. Not just some bench guy and "we like our guys". While teams like Philly and 9ers chase their QBs and get into playoffs and championships. we get bounced right out.
@Reid1boys

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm assuming this is what you were asking about, but let me know if I misunderstood.

Looks like he was pretty accurate with those throws. Even with the wide open receivers. And a nice touch on the long passes.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry knew that it would take more time for MM to mentor Lance into a qb that would be at least be decent enough to be "runner-up MVP" level of talent.

Jerry's unveiling of his new project wasn't ready at that point.......2024 he will unleash the beast at the proper time....perhaps in week 11 in garbage time against the Texans when they have pulled their defensive starters
Why is this PS going to be so entertaining some would ask.
Watch the designed plays for Lance during PS, the stage is his and Jethero's for the entire world to see.
We will be running totally designed schemes while Lance is playing.
85 percent snaps for Lance PS just bookmark and watch.

Chasing6

Reaction score
... if given that opportunity.

Which he won't be, because he'll be getting QB snaps. I get it.

When I watch this kid play snap after snap after snap on YouTube... all of his NDSU plays, all of his 49ers plays... I come away believing it's arguable that he could be someone's QB#1 after giving some time to mature and develop.

Maybe.

Not a big fan of his throwing motion--seems a little loose, though no one's asked me to be their HS QB coach, let alone an NFL one, so what do I know. Seems to have some long ball touch, actually, yet on shorter throws, a common theme seems to be that he's not precise consistently, and his receivers too often have to adjust to his passes in a way that limits their YAC. Will be interesting to see where his strengths and weaknesses lie after this preseason.

But in a parallel universe where Trey Lance is given the chance to be #1 RB in DAL?

I'm not going to say he absolutely would win that camp position battle, but I'm definitely persuaded he's make it a real contest. Nah, he's not going to break ankles the way that Pollard could, and probably not even to the degree that Rico can. But he's got two things, nay three, going for him:

(1) He may not make defenders miss by grasping for air, but he has that same skill that Emmitt had, that he has just a little bit of instinctive wiggle that regularly keeps defenders from hitting him square, and so they end up able to make some contact, but routinely bounce off.

(2) Even if you get your hands on him, he's just damn tough to bring down unless you've got help.

(3) If he's allowed to get to fifth gear with open field in front of him, you better hope you have a CB that has angle so he can run him down... but otherwise forget it... he's one of the fastest in the NFL

Just my opinion, but an informed one, having spent a lot of time over the last couple of days watching the tape.
I think Trance will have a similar opportunity to win the starting QB job or the starting RB job.

Both slim to none.

_sturt_

Reaction score
ICY (or anyone else) MI... it seems long forgotten, if not missed...

Does Trey Lance have a future at QB? Maybe, but think he legit could compete for RB1 in Oxnard

When I watch this kid play snap after snap after snap on YouTube... all of his NDSU plays, all of his 49ers plays... I come away believing it's arguable that he could be someone's QB#1 after giving some time to mature and develop.

Maybe...

...But in a parallel universe where Trey Lance is given the chance to be #1 RB in DAL?

I'm not going to say he absolutely would win that camp position battle, but I'm definitely persuaded he's make it a real contest. Nah, he's not going to break ankles the way that Pollard could, and probably not even to the degree that Rico can. But he's got two things, nay three, going for him:

(1) He may not make defenders miss by grasping for air, but he has that same skill that Emmitt had, that he has just a little bit of instinctive wiggle that regularly keeps defenders from hitting him square, and so they end up able to make some contact, but routinely bounce off.

(2) Even if you get your hands on him, he's just damn tough to bring down unless you've got help.

(3) If he's allowed to get to fifth gear with open field in front of him, you better hope you have a CB that has angle so he can run him down... but otherwise forget it... he's one of the fastest in the NFL

Just my opinion, but an informed one, having spent a lot of time over the last couple of days watching the tape.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Maybe...

...But in a parallel universe where Trey Lance is given the chance to be #1 RB in DAL?

This is laughable.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I too am interested to see what TL does in PS games although it will usually be against guys who wont be playing much in the regular season and against non game-planned vanilla defenses.

Really does also make me smh when I think what we could have drafted with that 4th round pick we gave the niners to obtain Lance. There were lots of good RBs still available.

Again…the Lance trade is completely mystifying in purpose. I heard last year it was supposed to be a hedge/bargaining chip when the Dak negotiations started. That seems silly now. Did we trade a 4th round pick for a guy who challenges our backup? That too is silly. The idea of him replacing Dak as the future QB of this team also seems like a pipe dream.

_sturt_

Reaction score

Maybe...

exciter

Reaction score

Maybe.

Not a big fan of his throwing motion--seems a little loose, though no one's asked me to be their HS QB coach, let alone an NFL one, so what do I know. Seems to have some long ball touch, actually, yet on shorter throws, a common theme seems to be that he's not precise consistently, and his receivers too often have to adjust to his passes in a way that limits their YAC. Will be interesting to see where his strengths and weaknesses lie after this preseason.

But in a parallel universe where Trey Lance is given the chance to be #1 RB in DAL?

Lol, he’s a slow average runner as a QB with a horrible frame for a RB. He’d need 3 years in a weight room rebuilding his body to take the pounding and he’d still be too slow!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lol, he’s a slow average runner as a QB with a horrible frame for a RB. He’d need 3 years in a weight room rebuilding his body to take the pounding and he’d still be too slow!
Right I don't know how the guy who posted this as soon as he hit send didn't realize the mistake why are we trying to reach for things for this guy to do outside of quarterback this dude's a long shot to make the team is a quarterback he's not a running back he doesn't have the skill set like you said or the body he may be able to be a slot wide receiver that runs the ball similar to the way we use Turpin and maybe deuce Vaughn and CD lamb would be someone who's built like him but we run him very minimally and we're already loaded on this team with guys like him why do we need a project we have too many projects already so this dude either needs to beat out Cooper rush or his days are numbered here.... Probably in a couple years we're gonna see him playing for the UFL..

I mean Howie didn't go that route anyway where the 49ers of the Cowboys why didn't they send them off to the UFL retaining his rights and making a deal with the USFL to let him play on the team because this dude needs snaps he needs real life snaps and that is the best way to get a guy snaps is to put him in a live league that's real but it happening when the rest of our league is not playing it would have been perfect they need to use the UFL like the NBA has the D leagues and the MLB has many different leagues they send guys to to get work why the deals haven't been made between the NFL and the NFL to make sure the NFL retains all rights but will allow players to go play for them...​

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The best Trey can do at training camp is win the QB2 job. He is not competing for the QB1 job. QB1 is firmly Dak's job.

1time4urMind

Reaction score

Maybe.

***?

Is this tongue-in-cheek?

Informed opinion? Lol

Wait, what....? Emmit? Lol

I watched his tape too. Tebow would've been a better RB. Lol

I showed this to my buddies, acted like I agreed. I got roasted. Lol

But, thanks for the laugh.