Twitter: Dolly Parton will perform halftime at Thanksgiving game

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Couple decades ago, I went to a country jamboree at Rocky Gap State Park in Western Maryland. It was a weekend event. Hank Williams Jr. and Dolly were the headliners.

At one point during Dolly's performance, she sat down on the edge of the stage and just chatted with the audience. The way she connected with us made me feel like I was back home on grandma's front porch shooting the....breeze with the family...thanks Dolly.

Hank Williams Jr. on the other hand had overfilled his tank with a little too much "go juice", slurring translator needed.

Good times !

Kwyn

Reaction score
Nope, I'm saying I would rather have heavy metal over "workin' 9 to 5, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....."
My point was more about FFDP than anything else. I just personally don’t care for them. Almost as mainstream as Dolly.

It’s not like we’re going to get Gojira or Mastodon to play Thanksgiving.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
good thing theres so many genres. I hate Rap as well Im mostly a classic rock guy but i do love me some heavy metal at times. I can even listen to Dolly although Im not much of a country guy. I bet you like 'coat of many colors"
I’m not a Dolly fan but I would listen to any of her songs over some of the crap out there that some people consider music.

Zordon

Reaction score
They said it when Whitney first released that it was a Dolly Parton song.

Dolly made crazy money over it and didn't have to hum a note.

I prefer Whitney's version.
I thought this was a good comment from Youtube.

Listen to Dolly's original version when your heart is breaking, listen to Whitney's version when you're ready to move on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I like classic 80s rock, but couldn't tell you the names of hardly any of them. lol
I have some classic 80s rock on my playlist. I have one song from Tears for Fears. The names of 80s groups are tough, but not as difficult as the names of rappers. I have a friend who listens to rap. I forgot my AirPods one day and had to suffer stuck in traffic on the 405 freeway in Los Angeles listening to Lil Uzi Vert and Soulja Boy Tell ‘Em. :confused: I only know those names because he told me.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Not only can Jerry and Dolly sing a duet. They can hold hands and dance together.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I've never given it any thought.

Patsy Cline is the only great voice that I recall for a female country singer.

There's not a Whitney or Natalie Merchant in the country genre...
All a matter of taste. Natalie has one of the laziest voices I ever heard. Whitney Houston is a diva on a platform few can climb. She’s from North Jersey, home of uber talents.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I would rather listen to Dolly than a rapper. I remember several years ago on Thanksgiving in Detroit they had a local rapper perform the halftime show. He was strutting around, grabbing his crotch every minute. It was dreadful! :facepalm:
Maybe he had a bad case of jock itch…

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
They said it when Whitney first released that it was a Dolly Parton song.

Dolly made crazy money over it and didn't have to hum a note.

I prefer Whitney's version.
Not only was Whitney’s version great, she was quite easy on the eyes. That’s always a bonus.