Don't expect a discount from Dak Prescott

Number1

Reaction score
Not based on his comments, it isn't. Nor do I think it would be signing him to $20 million-plus a year right now.

Under my scenario, I've got him under contract for the next two years for roughly $33 million with a 2020 franchise tag. Compare that to $40 million at a minimum for the next two years, and likely far more guaranteed. That's to my team's advantage and I would use it. Then I can decide whether he makes the big guaranteed money two years from now or whether I tag him again.

that's an expensive scenario ... consider base salary for a starting QB will be nearer $30m. Better off signing him now to at $20m or less.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
He deserves average qb pay maybe a bit more expecting him to get better. 16-20 mil a year. Closer to 20 most likely.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I hope they're far apart and he, at least, goes through this contract season and he would be better off just keeping his mouth shut about it. Just answer that his agent is working on that.

Most QB's do not get into this discussion because it can be misconstrued and they can actually turn fans against them. And attempting to negotiate through the media isn't a good idea.

I liked this guy when he didn't run his mouth, and I don't care what they ask him, saying things like he wants to be the GOAT DC QB was just stupid.

If he's going to cite Brady, he should add that Brady doesn't pimp himself out to that many sponsors either.
Just like Romo did, eh, CC? I never heard complaints against Romo when he was out pimping himself from the onset to so many sponsors? Even now he does it. Where are the complaints?

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
He needs no more than 20 mil a year. Many here may know that I’m a Dak supporter but I’m definitely not a supporter of big contracts. He still has room for improvements and doesn’t need the big great contracts like the Vets have. I hope someone from the front office or something stops Jerry Jones from signing him 25mil+ because that will be very bad.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Garrapolo and Carr make nearly $30 million per year and haven’t done anything. So don’t be surprised if that’s in the range.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hey look. Another thread created to bash Dak.

He’s going to be our well paid QB for the foreseeable future.

Deal with it Nerds.

And he's going to kill our cap for years to play at the level of Alex Smith...

....and you'll continue to deflect and blame others, like Connor Williams "nerd".

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Not arguing for or against paying Dak big in Dallas....but Dak is the very definition of a player that has a real right to not except anything much under market value.
He's been at nor near the lowest paid starting QB in the league for years now.

Maybe if he has a 3rd contract in Dallas or elsewhere, but not his first chance to really get paid.
It could be his only chance to set himself up for life. Playing poorly or getting severely injured--either one would mean that chance has been lost.
Nobody can blame him for getting it if it's there, at least for this contract

THIS. He is the very definition of it.
As I have said before, I am not interested in what people here actually think his value is. Some on here literally think Dak Prescott should be paying the Cowboys.

But the notion that Dak should take a discount is the biggest crap I have ever heard.

Andrew Luck should give a discount, Matt Stafford should give a discount, Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers should give discounts.

The QB that was ranked 70th in pay? Yeah, that QB needs to get every dollar he is worth.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
They never complained when Romo TWICE got two franchise-record salary contract increases that even now had direly affected the team's salary cap.

Because Romo played at at top 10 and even top 3-5 at times in his career.

Prescott is still working on footwork the final year of his contract....

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Since the rookie contract scale was implemented (so after the giant rookie deals of the past) has any starting QB in NFL history ever given the team a discount entering into their very first non-rookie contract?

Possibly Cam Newton...and to a certain extent Russel Wilson...

But Colin Kaepernick definitely gave the 49ers a discount.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Because Romo played at at top 10 and even top 3-5 at times in his career.

Prescott is still working on footwork the final year of his contract....
Yet, even with bad footwork, Dak has led the team to more wins during his first 3 years than another other QB in franchise history. How are them apples?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yet, even with bad footwork, Dak has led the team to more wins during his first 3 years than another other QB in franchise history. How are them apples?

"Here are team wins, not individual statistics, to try to prop up a single player!"

You're not good at...well, anything.

The very reason you use team wins is due to the fact you don't have much else to praise Prescott about with his performance.

Let's check ratings.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ighest-graded-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

18. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS
Overall Grade: 74.6

The arrival of Amari Cooper helped Prescott a lot, but it still didn’t elevate his play enough to drive him up significantly in overall grade. He recorded 10 big-time throws without Cooper in Weeks 1-8 (seven games) and another 10 with him in Weeks 9-17 (nine games).