Don't expect a discount from Dak Prescott

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would anyone, including the Cowboys, expect a discount? Has he not shown up for every game and done what was asked of him? Has he not led the team?

It is not about his value as a by product of the values of other QB's like Bortles, Garropolo, Cousins, and certainly not Brady with 18 years in the league. It is about his value to the Cowboys and with the single job most tied to confidence in the game, trying to get a discount for any reason, other than injury history, is a bad move.

The problem with this situation is that the Joneses shot their mouths off early in the season about extending him instead of playing their cards close to the vest and stating it was premature and he is under an existing contract. The very thing that Booger is using now against a Garrett extension.

Just how is that value to the Cowboys established? Records are tied to HC's and QB's. Prescott is 33-18 with 2 division crowns and a 2nd place in 3 seasons. Nobody cares about passing stats or titles, just the record. Does he win?

The other side of this is what else is available? It is a supply and demand situation with QB's and not every team can have a Brady and they're not likely to get his replacement in this draft. It is very likely that he's going to get a deal that is going to piss off a lot of posters here because the Cowboys have a history of blinking.

Another thing most of us agree with is that they're going to have to build a strong team around him? And that's bad because? We saw how it went when they were Romo dependent and the two best QB's in team history, what kind of teams did they have around them?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's clear from the article that he's gunning for the big money. I guess that I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

From the article:

Prescott doesn’t see Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s team-friendly deal, for which he made just $15 million last season, as a blueprint for his own.

Nobody’s wife makes as much money as his wife does either,” Prescott said of Brady’s supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen, who earned $10 million in 2018 and $17.5 million in 2017, per reports. “When Tom Brady isn’t the breadwinner in the home, then that’s a great problem to have."

So in that case, he can do that. He can do his contract however you want to do it.”

I think the team knows how to pay what’s deserved,” Prescott told USA TODAY Sports before the Super Bowl, “and pay those other people at the same time what’s deserved without being frugal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-dak-prescott-contract-extension/2806080002/

No player that will be getting their 1st big contract is going to tell the media that they'll take a discount.

Other media had likely already asked him about the Brady discount and/or his agents prepped him to expect it.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
It's clear from the article that he's gunning for the big money. I guess that I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

From the article:

Prescott doesn’t see Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s team-friendly deal, for which he made just $15 million last season, as a blueprint for his own.

Nobody’s wife makes as much money as his wife does either,” Prescott said of Brady’s supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen, who earned $10 million in 2018 and $17.5 million in 2017, per reports. “When Tom Brady isn’t the breadwinner in the home, then that’s a great problem to have."

So in that case, he can do that. He can do his contract however you want to do it.”

I think the team knows how to pay what’s deserved,” Prescott told USA TODAY Sports before the Super Bowl, “and pay those other people at the same time what’s deserved without being frugal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-dak-prescott-contract-extension/2806080002/
Let him play out his contract and walk with the coach. Next HC should find a FA QB as a place holder until he finds a rookie QB he genuinely believes in. I don’t want the next HC to draft a QB just to draft one.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah even at $15mil a year lol

Cowherd has been talking for months that we will see how intelligent Prescott is with his new contract. That a player that needs so much around him needs to recognize that and not look to max out every dollar but leave his team the financial flexibility to have that supporting cast. It isn't about being "frugal" like that idiot said. It's the reality of having to comply to a league mandated salary cap. The more he gets the less you have for the rest of the roster.

We are about to make a huge mistake. No question about it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Was he paying attention? And I didn't always refer to him as Booger, only after the opening of Booger's Big Top and him on the Boogertron mining for gold. Prior to that, he was OSF, Ole Sphincter Face. Which do you think he'd prefer? One of the few people that could get a facelift and people couldn't pick the before and after. One of his grandkids is still undergoing shock therapy.

Are you going to start using that HOF Owner thingy the way Buck does with Aikman? Oh, I hope not.

I can't remember why I didn't put you on Ignore before, but regardless.... Bye.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
That's fine. I'm good with playing out the contract this year and franchise tagging him in 2020. Just like with the coach, let's let this thing play out.

That’s my dream scenario. Let both the quarterback and coach play for their jobs next year. But Jerry is going to cave and write the check, unfortunately.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s my dream scenario. Let both the quarterback and coach play for their jobs next year. But Jerry is going to cave and write the check, unfortunately.

Yep and that contract will dictate that Prescott now plays like a difference maker and he simply doesn't have the talent.

lk8701

Reaction score
Easy solution. Dak should marry MacKenzie Bezos after her divorce to Jeff Bezos is final. Then Dak can sign for the minimum.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Let's not forget what a Stingy SOB Stephen is...it took him forever to extend Martin, still hasn't extended DLaw, I wouldn't put it past him to offer some middle of the road deal to Dak.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
The devil will be in the details. Yes, Brady took less in salary to help the team. Lots of restructures, including one to get Moss. However he made a ton in guaranteed money which was an insurance policy for him and also helped the team as that portion could be amortized. $90 mill in signing bonuses and close to $30 mil in restructure bonuses.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The devil will be in the details. Yes, Brady took less in salary to help the team. Lots of restructures, including one to get Moss.

Agree, another point is that Brady did the "discount" contracts after he had made something like 150 Million in salary and likely more than that in endorsement deals.

Also the restructures are to the players advantage and its not doing the team a favor when the player does it. If you can get 12 Million up front the time value of money is almost twice the amount of getting twelve checks monthly for one million each.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Jerry will once again confirm how terrible of a GM he is giving this below average QB of ours BIG BUCKS......oh well whats another 10 years of no Superbowl Glory......:(
I know especially after we just got out from Romo's contract. Paying him superbowl MVP $$.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I can also send you a bottle of my piss. It is in demand actually.
:lmao:LMAO:lmao:

* but ,,,are you getting professional grade top dollar per fluid ounce fer' yer's ,like my agent is getting for mine?*o_O