Dorance Armstrong

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
No it doesn't he was forced to put on extra weight and play at DE in their 3-4 due to injuries on that team.

He was also asked to play the run more, which shows he is willing to sacrifice his own numbers for the better of the team. I would call that being the RKG.

You can never draft enough edge rushers in the later rounds. He may end up being a bust, but I personally like the pick.

Also, 40 times for DEs are overrated he has a good quick burst.

Db7OO49XcAAYuh1.jpg

3 cone & shuttle measure change of direction and lateral ability. Vertical and broad jump measures explosiveness. 10 meter is short speed and 40 is long speed. Armstrong's short speed and explosiveness are average to below average.

His lateral agility and change of direction are slightly above average for EDGE player.

I love pass rushers so I'm going to stop bashing the kid and hope for the best. I have vented enough, he's a Cowboy now so I hope he becomes the best pass rusher he can be and good enough to help team to a championship.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Irvin and Emmitt probably didn't want to be picked by the usual bottomfeeders also. Lions took Herman moore and not Michael Irvin that year...When Emmitt came out you had bootomfeeders again at the top and I think we got emmitt at #19 in the draft......Maybe they tanked because they didn't want the Browns,Lions,Bills, and the other scrubs to pick them.

Terrell Suggs was a rare one but for Suggs,you have dozens of Erasmus James,Damaontre Moore,and Kony Ealy's out there.

Irvin and Moore did not come out in same draft. I think you are mistaking Alvin Harper for Irvin, who came out in same draft as Herman Moore.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
3 cone & shuttle measure change of direction and lateral ability. Vertical and broad jump measures explosiveness. 10 meter is short speed and 40 is long speed. Armstrong's short speed and explosiveness are average to below average.

His lateral agility and change of direction are slightly above average for EDGE player.

I love pass rushers so I'm going to stop bashing the kid and hope for the best. I have vented enough, he's a Cowboy now so I hope he becomes the best pass rusher he can be and good enough to help team to a championship.

I am not even arguing whether or not he is a good player or what he will be.

Others are arguing that his 40 time automatically means he is a scrub.

What I am saying is just because a defensive end runs a 4.8, doesn't mean he can't be an effective pass rusher. That is just silly.

rags747

Reaction score
Did Tim Brown tank his forty??? Yes he admitted he did... Also not a great player but a few years ago Kelvin Benjamin admitted he tanked his forty because he wanted to play with Cam Newton

Dorance Armstrong not a good run defender and does not have enough speed to beat NFL OtTs.

How is Armstrong going to beat Eagles Lane Johnson who ran a 4.72 forty?
Why do NFL teams put a premium on players with speed. OTs who run faster than others. Tell me why Orlando brown slid out of the 1st round to later I think the 3rd round??? Speed shows severals things.Explosion,dedication by all of their training their conditioning, This is a game of speed.
Frederick our center is very very s l o w in the 40, seems he is is able to get to the 2nd level consistently. 40 time is a nice to have but it does not tell the whole story.

rags747

Reaction score
Jerry can hope he will not get blamed for his crappy picks......I remember Jerry's great draft picks like Quincy Carter-2nd round...,Kavika Pittman-2nd round...Shante Carter-1st round...Tony Dixon 2nd round....Soloman Page 2nd round...Charlie Williams 3rd round...Kenny Wheaton 3rd round....Mike Myers 3rd round...Antonio Anderson 3rd round...Shane Hannah 2nd round....Dwayne Goodrich 2nd round....Kareem Larriemore 3rd round....Willie Blade 3rd round....... Jerry needs to only be allowed to pick the 7th round pick NOTHING ELSE!!!
Jerry is master of all things Cowboys and will do as he pleases as he should. When you are worth a few Billion please have at it.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No it doesn't he was forced to put on extra weight and play at DE in their 3-4 due to injuries on that team.

He was also asked to play the run more, which shows he is willing to sacrifice his own numbers for the better of the team. I would call that being the RKG.

You can never draft enough edge rushers in the later rounds. He may end up being a bust, but I personally like the pick.

Also, 40 times for DEs are overrated he has a good quick burst.

Db7OO49XcAAYuh1.jpg
Wasn't here the guy that pulled the hamstring in the 40? Can't remember who it was but it shows 40 times aren't everything

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Orlando Brown got beat by Armstrong for a sack in college and I think people think that makes Armstrong good.No they are both bad.
He beat Connor Williams too..... That was the only sack he gave up. I think you are letting your feelings get involved too much and being emotional. You complain about his sack totals going down but if you had research him then you would understand why. Have you even watched game tape on the guy or if it because he isn't a known name you heard of before...... I'm thinking you haven't broke down his film at all by the way you are complaining about him

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Jerry can hope he will not get blamed for his crappy picks......I remember Jerry's great draft picks like Quincy Carter-2nd round...,Kavika Pittman-2nd round...Shante Carter-1st round...Tony Dixon 2nd round....Soloman Page 2nd round...Charlie Williams 3rd round...Kenny Wheaton 3rd round....Mike Myers 3rd round...Antonio Anderson 3rd round...Shane Hannah 2nd round....Dwayne Goodrich 2nd round....Kareem Larriemore 3rd round....Willie Blade 3rd round....... Jerry needs to only be allowed to pick the 7th round pick NOTHING ELSE!!!
Funny you only listing certain picks but fail to give credit to Jerry for drafting great players. Without Jerry we don't get Ware so you just keep complaining and we will continue adding strong talent to the team

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If Charles Tapper is not injured or Randy Gregory stops playing Bob Marley songs and playing his favorite musical instrument which is a BONG. That Dorance Armstrong is going to beat them straight out for a roster spot??? WHO WANTS TO BET ME????BECAUSE IT WON'T HAPPEN. ARMSTRONG STINKS!!!

This is more nonsense. How good or not good Gregory and Tapper are has no bearing on Armstrong.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is a piece written on Dorance Armstrong in 2017:

One general manager said they think Armstrong is a stud and can't see him staying for his senior year in 2018. They said that Armstrong could be on a par with, or better than, Boston College senior edge rusher Harold Landry. That general manager thought Landry would have been a late first- or second-round pick if he had entered the 2017 NFL Draft, and they liked Armstrong more than Landry.
Quoted for truth. Not sure what the OP is so upset about. The fact is the Cowboys got a deal.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get this pick. I think this is our worst draft pick and rumors we thought of trading up into the 3rd to get him. WHY? He is 250 lbs and can't even run in the 4.7s barely breaks a 4.9 forty. He had 1 sack in 2017. All I hear is excuses."Well he is overcoming a knee injury".."Well he was doubled teamed"..."Well you know he is young at 20 years old". This is what I do know,HE DOES NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES....Beating Orlando Brown for a sack is really not that great or a thing with Orlando Brown running a 5.7 forty. WHAT AM I MISSING? ,AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS OR SOMETHING??

You should include the disclaimer that you rate players in the draft strictly by their forty time.

Terrell Suggs 4.84 forty

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is just my own personal opinion. This personnel staff, this scouting department and this Front Office has done a pretty good job of player evaluations. Having said this, of course every pick does not turn out and I will also admit that this organization didn't always do a good job in this area. There was a time when we just flat did a poor job of player evaluations. I don't think that is a problem for this team any longer.

I give these guys the benefit of the doubt with players these days. I just think they've earned that. Hopefully, Armstrong is another example of this staff doing a good job of evaluations. If the trend reverses itself and we start to slide again, then I'll be back on them but as of now, I gotta believe they know a lot more about all of these picks then I do.

Thats just my own personal opinion.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You think Armstrong is Spencer? Why? Spencer was a tough run stopper w/ some pass rush. Army is a lightly built pass rusher w/ very poor strength and anchor ability. They are pretty much polar opposites. Spencer was a quality starter, Army appears to be a situational pass rusher.

Sorry, Ray, just don't get the comparison at all!!!!!!!!!!!!
give him a chance. its may.

visionary

Reaction score
This is just my own personal opinion. This personnel staff, this scouting department and this Front Office has done a pretty good job of player evaluations. Having said this, of course every pick does not turn out and I will also admit that this organization didn't always do a good job in this area. There was a time when we just flat did a poor job of player evaluations. I don't think that is a problem for this team any longer.

I give these guys the benefit of the doubt with players these days. I just think they've earned that. Hopefully, Armstrong is another example of this staff doing a good job of evaluations. If the trend reverses itself and we start to slide again, then I'll be back on them but as of now, I gotta believe they know a lot more about all of these picks then I do.

Thats just my own personal opinion.

Agree

My problem with this pick was that Tim Settle was sitting there who is a known commodity from a great program at a position of real need (1T DT) and could likely start day 1

Hopefully Armstrong works out but he seems like one of those players that no one knows about and your team picks him and suddenly team message boards fill up with posts about how "he is growing on me after watching tape"

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Agree

My problem with this pick was that Tim Settle was sitting there who is a known commodity from a great program at a position of real need (1T DT) and could likely start day 1

Hopefully Armstrong works out but he seems like one of those players that no one knows about and your team picks him and suddenly team message boards fill up with posts about how "he is growing on me after watching tape"

I get it. I've been where you are for years now. This team just does not seem to value 1Tech. BTW, I have watched this player play. He's a good player IMO.

It's frustrating to watch the team pass on this position, year after year but it happens with regularity. Anymore, I just let it go cause I know it's not gonna happen.