Twitter: Doug Free got a salary adjustment

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If they bring Free back next year as the swing OT it won't be for 5m....he will have to cut that in half

Same with Witten who is due over 7m in base salary

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Free is a liability against the pass and is getting our QBs killed.......sometimes he barely slows them down... he is a great guy and a leader but he needs to be replaced by Green

Again ...... I have no problem with that ....... but I have not seen him get Dak killed ....... only Romo who tells Free to let his guy go instead, of holding, because he thinks he can spin away everytime.

Common Sense

Reaction score
If they bring Free back next year as the swing OT it won't be for 5m....he will have to cut that in half

Same with Witten who is due over 7m in base salary

The Witten situation is going to be interesting to watch. I can almost see it turning into a Ware-type "pay cut or be cut" scenario. It's not like it makes sense to extend him at this point.

That said, I think it's more likely that Witten is on the team next year if Dak is the starting QB. It's hard to put a cap figure on that type of veteran leadership.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It would zero itself out.......they added 1m to next year so if they rolled over 1m it would be a wash

Maybe Free needed some liquid cash.....DAL was already 5m under the cap and is getting big rebates from RMcClain and McFadden to bring them to 9m under the cap...this would bring them to 10m under

FYI- trading Romo SAVES the team 5m this year....trading Sanchez saves over 1m

It does neutral itself out but it increases the risk on the team. If Free got hurt or regressed to where you wanted to cut him next off-season, it would now be a bigger hit than it would have been.

It just seems like a weird or unnecessary move UNLESS you are trying to free up room for a trade or major re-signing.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It does neutral itself out but it increases the risk on the team. If Free got hurt or regressed to where you wanted to cut him next off-season, it would now be a bigger hit than it would have been.

It just seems like a weird or unnecessary move UNLESS you are trying to free up room for a trade or major re-signing.
their is ZERO risk is pushing money forward........you have to pay it all, this year or next....by pushing it forward you get an interest free loan and the cap is larger......flexibility is great and any unused space gets rolled over

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's next year's savings.

This year, trading him takes up additional cap room.
that is 100% wrong.......DAL would save 5m on his 8.5m salary.....the dead money would hit next year and the 5m savings from this year would roll over and knock his dead money down from 19.6m to 14.6m

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again ...... I have no problem with that ....... but I have not seen him get Dak killed ....... only Romo who tells Free to let his guy go instead, of holding, because he thinks he can spin away everytime.
Both times the ball has been knocked out of Dak's hands it was due to Free not blocking his man.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
that is 100% wrong.......DAL would save 5m on his 8.5m salary.....the dead money would hit next year and the 5m savings from this year would roll over and knock his dead money down from 19.6m to 14.6m

So you are saying trades have the same impact as June 1st cuts? I've seen some people saying that but more people are saying that with trades, the players' prorated bonus immediately accelerates.

If what you are saying is correct, that trades follow the pre- and post-June 1st rules, than yes, it would free up some cap room now. I've just seen a lot of NFL guys saying the opposite.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So you are saying trades have the same impact as June 1st cuts? I've seen some people saying that but more people are saying that with trades, the players' prorated bonus immediately accelerates.

If what you are saying is correct, that trades follow the pre- and post-June 1st rules, than yes, it would free up some cap room now. I've just seen a lot of NFL guys saying the opposite.
You got it........it is exactly like post June 1st releases......the cap hit would be next season.....a lot of people get this wrong but I read the CBA and it is very clear

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That didn't actually happen, was only giving a hypothetical.
My review was great, except they said I should be more aggressive in my work assignments. They said they must include something negative in every review, and that was the only thing they could think of.
I asked what does that mean, to be more aggressive. He said to take more control of my assignments and to lead the other designers. As no one was stepping up. So i did, and went on to a pretty good career from there.
So my negative became a positive.

But anyway wanted to give an example, as to people always feel a need to find something negative regardless of the situation. It is actually natural for people to do this.
In my case it was meant to be constructive, but many others weren't. But I had a good manager in that situation.
Fans only look for negatives to complain, but many do not offer what they would do. Well, they do offer, and that is to blow up the team. As some did suggest prior to the season.
Cool. What did you design?

I've worked for companies that were in a regulated industries (Medical, etc..). The auditors literally would not leave until they "found" some type of problem.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They have schemed around his problems in run blocking.

They scheme to get him on a LB in run blocking or to allow him to be a wall-off blocker. They're able to do it because he plays next to All-Pro Martin and they have All-Pros Fred and Tryon.

They do scheme around him in pass blocking also but there more options in run blocking than in pass blocking.

They ask him to single block all the time. I'm not sure what you are referring to. I think he is an above average run blocker and a below average pass blocker. Zeke has saved his cookie all year long.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If that's the case, OvertheCap has it wrong.

http://overthecap.com/player/tony-romo/145/

They have a Trade causing an additional $11,100,000 in cap room, same as a Cut (pre-June 1).

They have a Cut (post-June) freeing up $8,500,000 in cap savings.

I took a look at the CBA and saw this...
https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

(2) For any player removed from the Team’s roster or whose Contract is assigned via waivers or trade after June 1, except in the Final League Year, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the next League Year.

..which supports what you are saying. I'm surprised overthecap, who basically advertises themselves as The online resource for NFL contracts, would have this wrong.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They ask him to single block all the time. I'm not sure what you are referring to. I think he is an above average run blocker and a below average pass blocker. Zeke has saved his cookie all year long.
The percentage of time that Free (run) blocks a LB or smaller player instead of a DL is high relative to a comparison with Tyron. You can scheme that on running plays but it not so much on pass plays.

I did a breakdown of the types of run plays that they ran back in 2014 when Free played vs when JP played. It was obvious that they were scheming around Free.

Free can't get movement on DLinemen unless they are already moving that direction and he just gives them an extra push.

What he can do is wall off a defender. For example when a DE jumps hard to the outside, he can stand in the way preventing that defender from redirecting back inside in time to affect and inside run. If the defender does not jump outside, then the play often gets blown up.