Draft day thoughts-as Bob Strum stated wise to add juice to the offense!

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Again - it’s not hindsight it’s more so those teams just getting good value bc players slid. Ex - Raihmann was a solid 2nd round OT that fell to the 3rd.

It’s not like he was some no name that magically hit.
He obviously wasn’t a solid R2 OT to many of the teams that passed over. These consensus boards mean NOTHING. It’s the teams ratings that matter. At best, they can give you a general idea of position group rankings but even then, teams will rank differently based on their schemes and player usage. No amount of wishing or speculation will change that fact.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He obviously wasn’t a solid R2 OT to many of the teams that passed over. These consensus boards mean NOTHING. It’s the teams ratings that matter. At best, they can give you a general idea of position group rankings but even then, teams will rank differently based on their schemes and player usage. No amount of wishing or speculation will change that fact.
I view it differently as they’re closer than you think.

Last year I believe 25 of the consensus top 32 went in the 1st round. It’s a pretty good barometer for value.

Obviously teams factor in needs but it shouldn’t vary too much.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
What I mean is if they have Tyler and Raihmann as 2nd rounders let the board fall to them. If someone snags Tyler in this scenario they luck out bc Raihmann fell.

Doesn’t always workout this way - but just how I see it best to maximize value.
But you don’t know how they rated Raihmann. If it was 6 one, half a dozen the other, fine. Plus, if they are set on one of the two, they have to weigh whether they will both be gone by their next pick.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
I view it differently as they’re closer than you think.

Last year I believe 25 of the consensus top 32 went in the 1st round. It’s a pretty good barometer for value.

Obviously teams factor in needs but it shouldn’t vary too much.
Again, your view doesn’t matter. And it does vary greatly. Teams consider all kinds of things like scheme fit, flexibility, etc., etc. All players are not created equal and all 2nd rounders are not created equal for specific teams. Teams have to take many things into consideration. The players Nolan coveted are likely very different than Quinn.

Teams typically don’t “reach” on 1st rounders. They may take a player sooner than some analyst thinks they should but there is likely not a player they draft that year who will be scrutinized more.

cnuball21

Reaction score
But you don’t know how they rated Raihmann. If it was 6 one, half a dozen the other, fine. Plus, if they are set on one of the two, they have to weigh whether they will both be gone by their next pick.
I don’t, but if it was on par with how most had him viewed it would’ve been a solid 2nd round pick.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Again, your view doesn’t matter. And it does vary greatly. Teams consider all kinds of things like scheme fit, flexibility, etc., etc. All players are not created equal and all 2nd rounders are not created equal for specific teams. Teams have to take many things into consideration. The players Nolan coveted are likely very different than Quinn.
Agree completely which is probably why we saw 7 of the 32 1st rounders picked last year not on the top 32 list for the consensus but board.

Still seems like about 80% or so in how close it is for the 1st round.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Agree completely which is probably why we saw 7 of the 32 1st rounders picked last year not on the top 32 list for the consensus but board.

Still seems like about 80% or so in how close it is for the 1st round.
I agree…it just takes 1 team who loves the player.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
That’s the whole point…great value.
No, the point was that a number of teams must not have agreed with this solid R2 rating or he wouldn’t have fell. It looks great in hindsight.

I would be willing to bet most players end up playing closer to their grade or below. That’s why due diligence is important to draft success. That’s the advantage teams are looking for when selecting players.

cnuball21

Reaction score
No, the point was that a number of teams must not have agreed with this solid R2 rating or he wouldn’t have fell. It looks great in hindsight.

I would be willing to bet most players end up playing closer to their grade or below. That’s why due diligence is important to draft success. That’s the advantage teams are looking for when selecting players.
I’d argue the point is good players fall every year at just about every position.

One of our best draft picks of the last decade was Lamb who was a consensus top 10ish player. We basically saw a blinking red light and said this player shouldn’t be here and we took him even though it wasn’t a glaring need. Same with Diggs - he was supposed to go sooner.

That’s how you maximize value.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I’d argue the point is good players fall every year at just about every position.

One of our best draft picks of the last decade was Lamb who was a consensus top 10ish player. We basically saw a blinking red light and said this player shouldn’t be here and we took him even though it wasn’t a glaring need. Same with Diggs - he was supposed to go sooner.

agree completely.we should not be picking a TE in the 1st RD because we lost Schultz.we should be picking one because he is BPA.

Spottswoode

Reaction score

You are missing the point. These consensus boards mean nothing to individual team decisions. They don’t care.

16 teams passed on Lamb to go a different direction and not one of them referred to this consensus board to make that decision.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You are missing the point. These consensus boards mean nothing to individual team decisions. They don’t care.

16 teams passed on Lamb to go a different direction and not one of them referred to this consensus board to make that decision.
I see it the other way around but to each their own…

I don’t think it’s a coincidence some of our best picks over the last several years are players that were ranked higher on the consensus board than when we were picking.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
agree completely.we should not be picking a TE in the 1st RD because we lost Schultz.we should be picking one because he is BPA.
Nobody is arguing that. This entire discussion is about how teams rate players and what constitutes a “reach”. Frankly I don’t care who they draft as long as they have done their homework. I trust they know more about these players and their needs than I do.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Watch…someone like McDonald will be available and we draft Laporta.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
I see it the other way around but to each their own…

I don’t think it’s a coincidence some of our best picks over the last several years are players that were ranked higher on the consensus board than when we were picking.
Coincidence…the consensus board played no role in that outcome. They were great picks because Dallas did there homework better than other teams.

If it came out that we were making picks based on who was falling on consensus boards, I would lose all confidence in the Cowboys.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Watch…someone like McDonald will be available and we draft Laporta.
When have the Cowboys made these kind of decisions recently? We have an old owner but his name isn’t Al Davis. We are pretty good at the draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Coincidence…the consensus board played no role in that outcome. They were great picks because Dallas did there homework better than other teams.

If it came out that we were making picks based on who was falling on consensus boards, I would lose all confidence in the Cowboys.
OK. I think we’re all set here. Moving along.