Draft grades on Charlton to Dallas **merged**

Sydla

Reaction score
Actually, I am just a fan that gives his honest a opinion and don't let any emotions get in the way. I loved the Zeke pick last year. I think Taco was a terrible pick but I obviously hope I'm wrong.

But the rationale for why you hate the pick doesn't make a ton of sense. You killed him for lack of production, being a one year wonder, etc. and then turned around and said you wanted Watt who didn't have a ton of production, was essentially a one year wonder and while he might not have "motor" questions, he has significant knee injury questions.

So you can see why people might think you are overreacting when you say you "hate" the Charlton pick and really wanted Watt but the reasons don't make much sense.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Would you have taken him if his name was not Watt? - Isn't he a 1 year wonder too?

I see him as a solid player who is smart, wants to learn, has a good motor, speed, very coachable etc. Pretty much the opposite of Taco.

diefree666

Reaction score
But the rationale for why you hate the pick doesn't make a ton of sense. You killed him for lack of production, being a one year wonder, etc. and then turned around and said you wanted Watt who didn't have a ton of production, was essentially a one year wonder and while he might not have "motor" questions, he has significant knee injury questions.

So you can see why people might think you are overreacting when you say you "hate" the Charlton pick and really wanted Watt but the reasons don't make much sense.

Remember this one is a premier Romo hater so automatically one must question his football judgement.

MrPhil

Reaction score
Same thing I heard about Tank Lawrence as we gave up our 3rd round pick to get him. How did that turn out? The team has been horrible about drafting crap rushers.

I am certainly not trying to sugar coat the teams draft whiffs (there have been plenty over the years) but, you basically condemned the guy before he has played his first snap. Seems a bit short-sighted to me. But hey, to each their own.

Sydla

Reaction score
I see him as a solid player who is smart, wants to learn, has a good motor, speed, very coachable etc. Pretty much the opposite of Taco.

So Charlton doesn't want to learn?

You also forgot to mention that Watt has injured his knees 4 times and needed surgery on both knees.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I was so-so with the pick, but I'm warming up to it.
Here's what's in the Cowboys favor:

1. He has the body to play immediately. I don't know if the same could be said for TJ Watts or any of the other OLB/DE picks we had a legitimate shot at in Round 1.

2. He's healthy. Unlike Takk, we won't have to wait for him to heal. His virtually plug-and-play ready.

3. I think we fans forget that sometimes these great players aren't playing with the best units in college football. So when scouts say he (Taco) flashes brilliance. That could be a product of having to go all out every play or being double team (which wears you down) because he's playing next to subpar teammates. You put Taco on a line with other top players (in the sense that they are actually playing in the NFL and Taco's college team members aren't in the NFL at all), and you may get a better reflection of his talent and maybe those flashes become more consistent.

4. I know some fans wish we would have taken a first-round talent (Stephen said we passed on some). But realistically, there are even grades to first-round talent. Is a Kevin King (assuming he had a first-round grade going to give you more than Taco is? Is the difference he's going to make as a corner going to be greater than the difference Taco will make as a pass rusher - something we desperately need? If King is another Deion Sanders, then, yes, we missed the boat. But if he's going to be simply reliable, then I don't know if it matters much that we passed him for Taco.)

At any rate, I'm happy with the progress the Cowboys are making. I really, really wanted Reuben Foster, but I can understand the red flags associated with him, and the Randy Gregory experience/experiment kind of changed our plans as it relates to taking chances on players who could bomb. So for now I'll have to say ...

I'll have a Taco Supreme to go.

Well said, well minus the Rueben Foster part. :clap:

ufcrules1

Reaction score
So Charlton doesn't want to learn?

You also forgot to mention that Watt has injured his knees 4 times and needed surgery on both knees.

That didn't stop the Steelers did it? Watt is fine and will be a good player. How about this, set your calendar for one year from now and lets see who turns out better out of Watt and "Taco".

visionary

Reaction score
I don't mind the pick.

He's got elite size and some upside. I'm not thrilled by any means but he gives us another piece on the DL and if we can't find a Demarcus Ware then maybe we can just get it done in with a number of solid guys.

Collins, Irving, and Charlton make me feel pretty good about the DL.

I hope we add Maliek McDowell to this tonight.

Mcdowell ain't happening
RDs 2-4 will be secondary picks

ejthedj

Reaction score
1-year wonder, potential, inconsistent, one good season in college etc. These are all words people have used to describe him. Not good.
He was not a one year wonder. He played well in five starts his junior year and just kept getting better. He played in a lol four years and made plays. The front office kept talking about his production. And he had an Over 2.1 production ratio which was one of the highest in the draft

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
He doesn't fit. He is a LB, then you want him to play DE here, and a light weight DE at that...we don't need light weights...

"Taco" would not have been my pick (I was a Watt guy) but he makes sense. Contrary to what Jerry says, Dallas doesn't need a "War Daddy" as much as they need another guy that can generate pressure.

I see Taco as a bookend to Lawrence and Irving, heck, even Crawford. Add Collins, Mayowa and Tapper to the list and that's a pretty good rotation.

Sydla

Reaction score
That didn't stop the Steelers did it? Watt is fine and will be a good player. How about this, set your calendar for one year from now and lets see who turns out better out of Watt and "Taco".

You didn't answer the question. You seem to imply Charlton is a brick who has no desire to learn or get better but Watt does.

What's your basis for that statement?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Taco" would not have been my pick (I was a Watt guy) but he makes sense. Contrary to what Jerry says, Dallas doesn't need a "War Daddy" as much as they need another guy that can generate pressure.

I see Taco as a bookend to Lawrence and Irving, heck, even Crawford. Add Collins, Mayowa and Tapper to the list and that's a pretty good rotation.

I just posted this in another thread.

Taco may be what is needed to bring this defense together.
Collins was looking good at the end of the year. Players like Mayowa and Irving were starting to make plays. We hopefully will have Jaylon Smith in the mix too.
All of these guys and others may not be the difference makers by themselves. But as a group, with the right "Taco" mix, this could be a meal...and the meal will be opposing QB's.

The whole is greater than the individual parts concept here. Pass rush, helps the secondary, as we get DB's on day 2. If we can get a S and a CB today that can help right away.
It will be a successful draft....and the thing is, yes, there will be whining, until and throughout TC....but after 3 or 4 games, it will come together.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
We needed a pass rusher and got a pass rusher, I'm good with the pick. Foster and all of his off field and medical issues was rightly passed over. The 49ers got a good value pick but Foster i already 1 test away from a 4 game suspension.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
I hate to say this, and the fact that it happened, but the skins got a steal, I really like our pick a lot.

erod

Reaction score
That last person in the world you should ever listen to is Pete Prisco.

That guy is know-nothing blowhard.