Draft grades on Charlton to Dallas **merged**

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doesn't this describe 80% of the players in the draft.

Good point. Unfortunately, some players play for coaches who believe in their hierarchy, i.e., you're not going to play until your junior year because we have players ahead of you in terms of their grade classification.

So if a you're a junior and you ball out and get an evaluation that you could be a first-round pick and start your profession an instant millionaire (and if you don't come out you could regress or get injured and miss out on millions), what would you do?

And if this is the case, Of course you're going to be a one-year wonder.

Many of these guys don't get to play full-time until their junior year.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
these draft grades thrown out on players that haven't played a down in the NFL is ridiculous.....get back to me in three years....then we'll have an idea if it was a smart pick!

People raved about the Claiborne(compared to Deion Sanders...always laughable when I hear that) move up in the draft and the selection was an A+ too...how'd that work out...

ufcrules1

Reaction score
You'd think that by now that we would take all these scouting reports, both positive and negative, with a grain of salt. Too many times we have seen "can't miss" prospects flop and prospects as described above thrive once they got into the NFL.

Personally, after the last few years of drafting success, I am going to give the team the benefit of the doubt. To me, Taco is a solid pick at a position of need who has the potential to be really good.

Same thing I heard about Tank Lawrence as we gave up our 3rd round pick to get him. How did that turn out? The team has been horrible about drafting crap rushers.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
In this post, we'll look at seven writers who have submitted their grades for the Cowboys already, most of which are "A" grades:

FOX Sports really likes the pick and gave it an A+:

Taco in Dallas is too good to be true. He could be the transformational pass rusher the Cowboys need on that side of the ball. Huge need filled by arguably the second-best player at that position.

Sports Illustrated gave the pick an A-:

The hype on Charlton peaked around pick No. 9 (Cincinnati). This is a far more appropriate range for him, considering that he has shown flashes of brilliance but is still very much a work in progress. And if that’s your scouting report as a defensive lineman, there are few coaches better to help mold your development than Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. While Charlton is steady enough against the run that he can be trusted on early downs, Marinelli figures to unleash him most often bending the edge vs. the pass. This fills a need for Dallas, and at a good value.

Walter Football also gave the pick an A-:

One team told us early in the draft process that they regarded Taco Charlton as a top-10 prospect. That changed a bit throughout the spring, but Charlton still provides solid value at No. 28 overall. Charlton is a long, athletic player. The concern is that he's a 1-year wonder, but he's very talented and could potentially solve Dallas' pass-rushing woes. I had Charlton going at No. 21, so the Cowboys did well by being patient and taking one of the better players remaining on the board.

NFL.com: another A-:

The skinny: Dallas had a choice between Charlton and T.J. Watt. Either could have fit their bill, and the need was certainly there. I had Watt with a higher grade, but Charlton's length and agility are impressive. He'll be a very good player for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett.

The Ringer gave the pick an A- for value and a B+ for fit

At 6-foot-6 and 277 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms, Charlton possesses ideal size and length — but he hasn’t put it all together as a pass rusher. He can be inconsistent at times, and he failed to impress at the combine, clocking in at 4.92 seconds in the 40. That time doesn’t paint an accurate picture of who he is, though: He has a quick first step, displays powerful hands, and shows flashes of an intriguing spin move that could develop into his signature at the next level. Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has a history of getting the most out of his defensive linemen; Charlton could contribute early for a Cowboys team bereft of edge rushers.

NESN with yet another A-:

The Cowboys really struggled to rush the passer last season, and Charlton will help draw double teams that will allow other Dallas pass rushers to have an easier route to the opposing quarterback.

CBS Sports breaks up the Cowboys love fest with a B-:

They need help up front, but this kid flashed at times and did little else.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...aco-charlton-in-dallas-is-too-good-to-be-true
I don't understand. The way people talk around here I thought there would be a lot of D's and F's.

rickster14

Reaction score
Interesting how we keep hearing about how the Cowboys value SPARQ scores. Taco is ranked #21 at edge. Of course, I wouldn't draft most of the guys ranked ahead him in the 1st round either.

Sydla

Reaction score
Same thing I heard about Tank Lawrence as we gave up our 3rd round pick to get him. How did that turn out? The team has been horrible about drafting crap rushers.

Same thing we heard about taking Frederick in the first round.

How'd that turn out?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Top 10 before underwear olympics - I will take that.

1 year wonder is not true. He had a good Junior season as well just not a starter but played a lot.

Sydla

Reaction score
Is he a rusher? No.

He was roundly panned by people, probably you, when he was picked. I am sure you talked about all the scouting reports and draft guides that had him as a 2nd or 3rd round value, lacked athleticism, etc.

I think you can see the point.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would have taken TJ Watt.

Actually I would have too. However, Watt was far from a sure thing. Knee problems in both knees, kind of a tweener between a DE or OLB, more SPARQ winner than actual production, etc. You ripped Charlton for being a one year wonder and frankly, so was Watt.

So if we are going to pick apart Charlton like you are, let's not be blind to the fact Watt had his own issues.

My guess? You are one of those fans who just has his britches always bunched in his butt.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
My guess? You are one of those fans who just has his britches always bunched in his butt.

Actually, I am just a fan that gives his honest a opinion and don't let any emotions get in the way. I loved the Zeke pick last year. I think Taco was a terrible pick but I obviously hope I'm wrong.