Draft Musings - March 29

Sydla

Reaction score
Just curious if you liked him. Some really don't.

If Dallas likes him that high, I have no problem with it.
If they think they get him later and pick up and extra 2nd, I'd like that more.
But in the end, if there's a QB that they love...not just because he's a QB, but one they actually think is worth that top 5 pick...then you take the player.
I'm just not sure they love Goff enough for that.

I just fear that Jones truly believes Romo is good for 4-5 more years and as such, they craft a draft plan that dings the QBs in lieu of positional players as if his starting QB is actually a 26 year old about to enter the prime, healthy years of his life.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You can lose with Kellen Moore or you can lose and give experience to someone who is supposed to be the future. What makes sense to you?

But out of the rookies, none of them except Goff could take the field as rookies. The rest are players that need at least one year of development time before it would be wise to put them on the field if Romo went down. You need a veteran backup QB unless Goff is the pick.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Except if Jones were to take Wentz or Goff at 4, that's really not overdrafting a QB as by almost all accounts, both are considered Top 10 worthy picks.

Depends on who you ask. Some have had Wentz rated as a late first-round prospect and some even in the second round (although I think by all accounts, that was before the draft workout season started and most have him now as a top-tier prospect).

As far as Goff goes, the rating for him seems to be all over the place — from the top QB in the draft to at least middle of the first round. The original post probably hit it on the head with him ... some really like him and some don't. We'll eventually find out who's wrong on that.

If Dallas doesn't really like him, though, it shouldn't draft him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Wentz going to Cleveland is going to create such upheaval... It will be epic.

Then not selecting Goff at #4... Will take that to unprecedented levels.

It will be a media storm like the franchise-wrecking move they made in passing Sharrif Floyd to pick up Frederick and TWill.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Just curious if you liked him. Some really don't.

If Dallas likes him that high, I have no problem with it.
If they think they get him later and pick up and extra 2nd, I'd like that more.
But in the end, if there's a QB that they love...not just because he's a QB, but one they actually think is worth that top 5 pick...then you take the player.
I'm just not sure they love Goff enough for that.

I've agreed with this from the start. I might sound anti-QB, but I'm anti-drafting a QB just to draft a QB.

It doesn't make the front office foolish as some here want to believe if they don't draft a QB at 4 if there isn't one the scouting department believes is worth that pick.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The OP has the premise that Wentz is taken at #2 and assessments of Goff vary widely. If the Cowboys have Goff in the top ten, by all means take him at 4. If they have a second round grade on him its a complete overdraft to take him that high.

I'm not sure if they should take him even if they have him in the top 10. It depends on how they rate the prospects. There could be four(or fewer or more) they believe are a tier higher than all the rest. If so, they should take one of those players. If the 10th player on their board is a QB and he's not considered much of a drop-off from the best player available on their board, then take the QB.

The difference in that top player and 10th player could be vast or minute.

morasp

Reaction score
I wonder what we could get for the number four pick to move into the middle of the round?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will be a media storm like the franchise-wrecking move they made in passing Sharrif Floyd to pick up Frederick and TWill.

Oh and in this forum... invest in companies that make Kleenex & Puffs, because there is going to be a lot of used starting April 28th.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Wentz going to Cleveland is going to create such upheaval... It will be epic.

Then not selecting Goff at #4... Will take that to unprecedented levels.

I like to think more about what will happen if Cleveland doesn't pick Wentz, both Wentz and Goff are available at 4 and Dallas takes Buckner (assuming Tunsil, Ramsey and Bosa are the first three picks). I'm not sure this message board would survive that. In fact, I'm not sure the Internet would.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've agreed with this from the start. I might sound anti-QB, but I'm anti-drafting a QB just to draft a QB.

It doesn't make the front office foolish as some here want to believe if they don't draft a QB at 4 if there isn't one the scouting department believes is worth that pick.

Sometimes I'm not sure people understand just how valuable the 4th overall pick is.

It literally is worth TWO 2016 1st rounders in the 18-20 range.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes I'm not sure people understand just how valuable the 4th overall pick is.

Likewise they don't realize the cost to move up to #1.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My heart wants to believe the Jones aren't that stupid but my head says they are and that they'll pass on a first round QB and then sell whatever bum they pick in the 3rd round or later as the guy they really believe can develop into Romo's replacement.

Sadly, this is what I fear as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the team doesn't believe Goff is a franchise QB then it shouldn't take Goff.

I would prefer in that case to take the "bum" in the third round and see if he can be developed rather than waste the fourth pick on a guy the team doesn't believe is any better (if that's the case).

What I see a lot of is fans preparing to call the Joneses stupid if they don't take a first-round QB, no matter how their scouting department feels about those QBs. I consider it smart to follow the advice of your scouting department. If the scouts end up being wrong, then you need new scouts.

Why is it "smart" to follow the advice of this bunch? What gives them the credibility to go against the grain of the consensus opinions on the top two quarterbacks?

The people in that building haven't been able to figure out the quarterback position since just about forever. Everything they have decided upon at that spot has been utterly, totally and absolutely wrong. If they don't like the quarterbacks, it only reinforces my belief that they should draft one of them at #4.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly.

If Jones overdrafts a QB, he is an idiot who repeated his Quincy Carter mistake.

If Jones takes BPA, he is an idiot who wouldn't fill a big hole on the roster.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Or the reverse, where anything the Cowboys decide to do will be worthy of praise...

:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except if Jones were to take Wentz or Goff at 4, that's really not overdrafting a QB as by almost all accounts, both are considered Top 10 worthy picks.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And sometimes, I'm not sure that people understand just how valuable a franchise quarterback is.

Especially in an era where Sam Bradford makes $18 million for one year

Or Kirk Cousins is making $19 million for one year.

Or Brock Osweiler is getting $37 million guaranteed for 7 games worth of tape.

Hopefully, you can get a quarterback with the #4 overall pick. If not, you can go back to the days of being one of the have-not's in this league and scrambling around after scraps, hoping that something eventually works.

Back to the days when this franchise was signing guys like Tony Banks, Ryan Leaf, or trying to cheat the system with failed baseball players like Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson or Drew Henson.

Not good times.