Drafting Zeke was football stupid

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In fact, who do you think is the better back, DMac or Murray?

I said all along Murray was better than McFadden, it's not even close. Oakland dumped McFadden and offered Murray more money than he got from Philly last year. Murray, like several other players Kelly brought in was a bad fit. Murray has been a great fit in Tenn, he's the 4th leading rusher this season with 526 yards. He's averaging 4.6 a carry and has 6 TD's rushing/receiving. He even had a 67 yard run from scrimmage in week 2. If he stays healthy he'll have at least 1200 yards and double digit TD's.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If McFadden sucks as much as you think, why do the Cowboys still have him on the roster? In fact, who do you think is the better back, DMac or Murray?
1- because he is free
b- there is no comparison......DMurray is 10x better

Murray has the single season franchise record 1845 yds
Murray has the single game franchise record 253 yds
Murray has the NFL record for 100 yd games to start season- 8

McFadden has missed 18 weeks with a broken elbow dropping his phone

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Your answer is predictably immature it's all part of your MO. It's almost impossible for you to respond back without an insult or name calling. Insults and name calling is the MO of someone getting frustrated and losing an argument. Do you not see that? Apparently not because your pattern never changes. The last time your panties got bunched in a knot the size of a softball it led to a nasty comment off the board. lol I've never once said McFadden sucked and you won't find a post where I said he did. I said he's an average back, been saying that since the day he arrived and what he did last season behind our OL any one of 15 backs could have done the same thing. Randle may have ended up with more yards had he not been injured and released. In only 6 games he had more TD's than McFadden. You, me and several others argued about all this in August after Romo went down.

I said I wanted to keep McFadden because with a rookie QB we need some veteran leadership in the backfield in the event Zeke were injured or his hamstring flairs up. You immediately fired back calling me a McFadden lover, do you remember that? LOL One minute you're claiming I hate him and that he sucks and the next minute you claim I love him. Dude you're all over the map! If you want, I could always dig up the link to that thread for some laughs because I'll come out smelling like a rose while many of you will be ducking for cover. The archives are my friend, they prove I know what I'm talking about, while they come back to bite some of you, showing that you didn't have a clue. If the QB is so important to an RBs success, then how did Dickerson, Campbell, Sanders and Peterson have HOF careers with the average QBs they had?

They should create a Stupidity Zone for threads like this. The OP who started this thread is probably hiding in a bunker somewhere. This along with the thread that was started after our loss on opening day titled "Our season is Over" has become pure comedy the past 2 months. Notice how you're the only one who keeps wanting to keep this argument alive? Everyone else bailed before they suffered any life threatening injuries but you keep staggering around like a Zombie that's been ran over 15 times in a low budget horror movie. Your argument like many others back in August was we didn't need to draft a back high. Yes, we got pretty good production from McFadden but it wasn't near good enough for what he had upfront blocking for him. The Cowboys aren't looking for pretty good production, they wanted to take advantage of this great OL by pairing it with a great back and it's paying dividends which I said it would months ago.

Listen, I really don't respect your opinion enough on anything to read through these long-winded screeds, so I suggest you just ask your questions in a straightforward manner instead of these meandering diatribes.

So any "one of 15 backs" could have done what McFadden did behind our o-line? Perfect. So we're in agreement that it's really the o-line that facilitates the run game and the only difference being you're reluctant to admit a healthy Romo helps the rushing attack because you know it undermines your argument.

- We got 1000+ yards/4.6 YPC outta DMac (an avg. RB) without a healthy Romo.
- We got 1845 yards, 13-14 TDs out of a 3rd round RB with Romo.

So why spend a #4 pick on a RB again?

Last edited:

ghst187

Reaction score
[QUOTE="CalPolyTechnique, post: 6914385,

So why spend a #4 pick on a RB again?[/QUOTE]

Only because the QB and DE we wanted were gone AND the fact that Elliott is an elite talent that affects the game in many ways.
Morris and McFadden are good backs but they are not on the class of Elliott. I don't think either of those guys would have more than one 100+ Yard game so far this year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only because the QB and DE we wanted were gone
We were not interested in Bosa. Post draft there were many stories about us deciding he wouldn't be our pick at 4 the night before the draft. SD actually did us a favor.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Listen, I really don't respect your opinion enough on anything to read through these long-winded screeds, so I suggest you just ask your questions in a straightforward manner instead of these meandering diatribes.

So any "one of 15 backs" could have done what McFadden did behind our o-line? Perfect. So we're in agreement that it's really the o-line that facilitates the run game and the only difference being you're reluctant to admit a healthy Romo helps the rushing attack because you know it undermines your argument.

- We got 1000+ yards/4.6 YPC outta DMac (an avg. RB) without a healthy Romo.
- We got 1845 yards, 13-14 TDs out of a 3rd round RB with Romo.

So why spend a #4 pick on a RB again?

My questions have been straightforward but you continue to look for ways to divert and keep this going by asking the same questions I've already answered numerous times. Despite having Romo through the years we never had a running game like we had in 2014 because we had a great OL paired with a terrific back. Even when the OL was in transition in 2011 Murray set a franchise single game rushing record and produced over 600 yards in 4 games before he was injured. Our running game began to fizz after that. The problem with this FAN base is they always look for excuses. During Romo's most productive years with a decent OL the running game was pretty much what it was last season. It forced us to have to draft Felix Jones in the first round who ended up flaming out. Romo has had to carry the team through the years and despite his efficient numbers and production we never had close to the running game we had in 2014 because we never had as talented a back who fit our system and meshed with our OL. We found out last season that not just any back could get it done behind our OL and it had nothing to do with the QB.

Last season Randle put up almost 100 yards rushing in the first half vs Atlanta with Brandon Weeden at QB. McFadden had his most productive game of the season last year of 152 yards with Cassel at QB. Let that sink in! There's been too many great backs that had HOF careers with average QBs for me to ever believe the QB makes a big difference in the running game. One big excuse used last season for our inconsistent running game was not having Dez enabling defenses to load the box. We haven't had Dez for 3 games or Romo for the entire season and it's not stopping Zeke. He looked awful in the opener despite our great OL because he was too impatient and wasn't doing what he needed to do to run effectively. All he did was run into piles but once he adjusted he's looked terrific. It proved that running the ball comes down to the back knowing what they need to do and meshing with their OL. He's leading the league in rushing with no Romo.

A lot of a backs success is before they ever reach the line of scrimmage, with their vision and once they get past the line of scrimmage it's all on them and their talent. You didn't like the Cowboys picking Zeke, you were fine with McFadden or another back and the posts are there from August. If I have the time I might go see if I can locate that thread we argued in and post some of your quotes so we can get a few more laughs. lol The archives show who knows what they're talking about. You and a few others had no clue what you were talking about then or now. Just read some of the posts in this thread from Sept it's pure comedy. :laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

That's just an excuse to skirt around and continue to argue and divert. If you think the QB makes a huge difference to the running game then explain how Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell and Adrian Peterson had HOF careers despite average QB play? How did Jamal Lewis rush for 2066 yards in 2003 with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright as his QBs if the QB makes such a big difference in the running game? Go ahead and divert turning my questions into questions, everyone knows your MO. lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So we're in agreement that it's really the o-line that facilitates the run game and the only difference being you're reluctant to admit a healthy Romo helps the rushing attack because you know it undermines your argument.

No, we're not in agreement you just keep diverting and spinning things. If it was really the OL that facilitates the running game there wouldn't have been a 400 yard drop-off in our run production and 8 fewer rushing TD's than in 2014 and we wouldn't have drafted Zeke with the 4th overall pick. Some of you are still convinced despite what happened last year that it's OL that makes the back. lol I'm not reluctant about anything because without Romo the entire season and Dez for the past 3 weeks we have a rookie RB who's leading the league in rushing because he's huge upgrade over what we had.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No, we're not in agreement you just keep diverting and spinning things. If it was really the OL that facilitates the running game there wouldn't have been a 400 yard drop-off in our run production and 8 fewer rushing TD's than in 2014 and we wouldn't have drafted Zeke with the 4th overall pick. Some of you are still convinced despite what happened last year that it's OL that makes the back. lol I'm not reluctant about anything because without Romo the entire season and Dez for the past 3 weeks we have a rookie RB who's leading the league in rushing because he's huge upgrade over what we had.

And you continue to ignorantly act as if Romo didn't have an impact.

Prescott is playing 100x better than Cassell, Weeden, etc, but again, you're simply not honest enough to admit it.

Again, PM me and we'll get you signed up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And you continue to ignorantly act as if Romo didn't have an impact.

Prescott is playing 100x better than Cassell, Weeden, etc, but again, you're simply not honest enough to admit it.

Again, PM me and we'll get you signed up.

And you continue to divert. Never said Romo didn't have an impact but you seem to think having him for the entire 2015 season would have increased McFadden's rushing numbers by as much as 500 yards last season which is ridiculous! You're under the impression the QB makes the RB and if that was true how did Dickerson. Campbell, Sanders, Payton, Adrian Peterson and several others have HOF careers despite average QB situations? Answer the question! How did Jamal Lewis rush for 2066 yards with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright? How did Chris Johnson rush for 2006 yards in 09 with Vince Young and Kerry Collins? Young's passer rating in 09 was only 82.8 and Collins was even worse with a 65.5 passer rating. They were so bad Tenn used a top 10 pick on Jake Locker 2 years later. Go look at the list of QBs Jim Brown had during his career.

If the QB makes a big difference in the running game then how come Dan Marino never had a great running game? Miami tried to get him a running game by drafting Sammie Smith in the first round but he flamed out. If the QB makes such a big difference in the running game then how come John Elway never had a running game until Terrell Davis came along? The Broncos tried during the years to help Elway but none of their backs panned out. Despite all of Romo's big numbers he never had a consistent running game until Murray came along. When Murray ran 253 yards in 2011, Romo completed under 59% of his passes that day. You chose to stick your nose in this discussion and I challenge you or anyone else to explain how all these backs became great, productive backs despite their QB situations? Stop bobbing a weaving and start explaining or get movin!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
And you continue to divert. Never said Romo didn't have an impact but you seem to think having him for the entire 2015 season would have increased McFadden's rushing numbers by as much as 500 yards last season which is ridiculous! You're under the impression the QB makes the RB and if that was true how did Dickerson. Campbell, Sanders, Payton, Adrian Peterson and several others have HOF careers despite average QB situations? Answer the question! How did Jamal Lewis rush for 2066 yards with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright? How did Chris Johnson rush for 2006 yards in 09 with Vince Young and Kerry Collins? Young's passer rating in 09 was only 82.8 and Collins was even worse with a 65.5 passer rating. They were so bad Tenn used a top 10 pick on Jake Locker 2 years later. Go look at the list of QBs Jim Brown had during his career.

If the QB makes a big difference in the running game then how come Dan Marino never had a great running game? Miami tried to get him a running game by drafting Sammie Smith in the first round but he flamed out. If the QB makes such a big difference in the running game then how come John Elway never had a running game until Terrell Davis came along? The Broncos tried during the years to help Elway but none of their backs panned out. Despite all of Romo's big numbers he never had a consistent running game until Murray came along. When Murray ran 253 yards in 2011, Romo completed under 59% of his passes that day. You chose to stick your nose in this discussion and I challenge you or anyone else to explain how all these backs became great, productive backs despite their QB situations? Stop bobbing a weaving and start explaining or get movin!

Let me help you here.

You feign acknowledgement that Romo (or any quality QB) has a contributory and beneficial affect on the offense and then turn around and blatantly undermine that acknowledgment by arguing Romo's abscense had no negative impact on McFadden.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I'll admit that I was of the mindset that we didn't need to draft a RB so high with the OL what we had...

I thought that the addition of Alfred Morris would have been more than enough to keep this team afloat while other areas could have been addressed.

I was certainly wrong about that one...

6 games into the season, and there isn't another rookie (with the exception of Dak) that I would even entertain taking over Zeke. He's been far and away the most impressive rookie thus far and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he became the next great RB in this league.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let me help you here.

You feign acknowledgement that Romo (or any quality QB) has a contributory and beneficial affect on the offense and then turn around and blatantly undermine that acknowledgment by arguing Romo's abscense had no negative impact on McFadden.

You're continuing to divert, avoiding all the questions I asked because you have no answers. Romo playing 16 games wouldn't have turned a 1089 yard season into a 1600 yard season for McFadden and anyone who thinks it would have is the one who needs help. lol Had Romo played 16 games last season McFadden wouldn't have ended up with a career high in carries. Romo started the 2015 season with 45 attempts and was on pace for over 40 attempts in week 2 before he was injured. Our lack of quality QB play resulted in McFadden having a career high in carries despite the fact he didn't start until week 7. All those backs I mentioned that gained all those yards, their teams leaned on them because their strength was at RB not at QB. They won games by leaning on those backs while we lost games leaning on McFadden because he couldn't move the chains consistently and couldn't find the endzone. His yards didn't result in points.

McFadden isn't Murray or Zeke, we weren't going to lean on him with Romo at QB but we had to lean on him with the other QBs which enabled him to gain the yards he did. We spent the last 4 games of the season with nothing to play for allowing McFadden to pad his rushing average and yards. McFadden's last 3 seasons in Oakland he averaged only 3.5 a carry which was the lowest in the league for a back not named Trent Richardson. He had 279 touches last season and only scored 3 TD's which is pathetic! He's not even close to a difference maker and some of you wanted to stay with him. Last week Zeke hurdled a defender and gained 5 more yards crashing through several more defenders. That play is happening whether you have Joe Montana at QB or Tent Dilfer. He destroyed the the #1 defense against the run and you and many others didn't want us to draft him. Some still think drafting him was a mistake. LOL

Go watch some of the runs he's had this season after first contact, NO WAY does McFadden or any average to good back make those kind of yards. We're seeing what a great back can do and it's reminding me of the early 90s with Emmitt Smith. Keep talking up all the numbers you think McFadden could have had with Romo when his worst game of his season in 2015 netted only 1.1 a carry with Romo in the lineup. Let that sink in! We made the right decision drafting Zeke and anyone who thinks it was a mistake hasn't a clue or an ounce of football sense. If he stays healthy he'll be one of the great backs in franchise history.

Proximo

Reaction score
Many weren't happy with us taking Zeke at #4 and argued we could have found a good back later in the draft, even later than the first or second round. Some were satisfied with McFadden thinking he had a great year. The poster I was responding to still thinks the OL makes the back despite what happened last season and that we could have drafted another back later. Had we done that we likely would have ended up with no better than what we had at RB last season.

Can't believe some are still sticking with the notion that taking EE at 4 was a "mistake". Obviously the line doesn't make the RB.

People should just imagine we took Dak in the 1st and EE in the 4th. Then they can feel like we drafted "smart", lol.

Just my opinion, but when you have the best O-line in football you take full advantage of that and put an elite talent behind them to run the ball. Look at how dominant our offense has become. We'd be doing ourselves a disservice by continuing to line up with the Joseph Randles of the world.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can't believe some are still sticking with the notion that taking EE at 4 was a "mistake". Obviously the line doesn't make the RB.

People should just imagine we took Dak in the 1st and EE in the 4th. Then they can feel like we drafted "smart", lol.

Just my opinion, but when you have the best O-line in football you take full advantage of that and put an elite talent behind them to run the ball. Look at how dominant our offense has become. We'd be doing ourselves a disservice by continuing to line up with the Joseph Randles of the world.

I agree. I have seen enough top 5 players who have busted. Zeke is not only showing he is not a bust but he can be a star player in this league. heading into the draft while Zeke was not the guy I was hoping to get I knew enough about his at OSU to know he was one of the surest player in the draft. He has thus far lived up to the billing.

Proximo

Reaction score
I agree. I have seen enough top 5 players who have busted. Zeke is not only showing he is not a bust but he can be a star player in this league. heading into the draft while Zeke was not the guy I was hoping to get I knew enough about his at OSU to know he was one of the surest player in the draft. He has thus far lived up to the billing.

Absolutely, 100%.

Not only was there little doubt he'd be a stud in the NFL, but he also compliments our strongest position group to form what I think is the most balanced, unstoppable offense in the league right now.

I don't want some 3rd round "above average" RB behind our line. Let's do this right and maximize our run game. They have and it's paying dividends.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Absolutely, 100%.

Not only was there little doubt he'd be a stud in the NFL, but he also compliments our strongest position group to form what I think is the most balanced, unstoppable offense in the league right now.

I don't want some 3rd round "above average" RB behind our line. Let's do this right and maximize our run game. They have and it's paying dividends.

I agree that Zeke has the ability to take great advantage of this OL. He can run with power and he has very good speed to take it the distance. Add to that his ability as a blocker.

As I have said I will not lie, Zeke was not my 1st pick but I am extremely pleased with him and his production.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Absolutely, 100%.

As long as he is a special player then it is worth it and the last few weeks he has looked like a special player.

Alfred Morris is a former pro bowler and the offense just doesn't look the same with him in it.

I remember when Felix Jones was a rookie and it felt like everytime he touched the football he was going to score.. Well Felix ended up being fools gold.. I get that same feeling with Zeke everytime he touches the ball but I KNOW it's not fools gold.

I watched the guy carry his OSU team to a national title when nobody gave them a chance.

If we get Zeke in a playoff scenario I think he will go to another gear. One only a special player like him can reach on a big stage. Like the Emmitts, JErry Rices, Tom Brady's, something only special players can do.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You're continuing to divert, avoiding all the questions I asked because you have no answers. Romo playing 16 games wouldn't have turned a 1089 yard season into a 1600 yard season for McFadden and anyone who thinks it would have is the one who needs help. lol Had Romo played 16 games last season McFadden wouldn't have ended up with a career high in carries. Romo started the 2015 season with 45 attempts and was on pace for over 40 attempts in week 2 before he was injured. Our lack of quality QB play resulted in McFadden having a career high in carries despite the fact he didn't start until week 7. All those backs I mentioned that gained all those yards, their teams leaned on them because their strength was at RB not at QB. They won games by leaning on those backs while we lost games leaning on McFadden because he couldn't move the chains consistently and couldn't find the endzone. His yards didn't result in points.

McFadden isn't Murray or Zeke, we weren't going to lean on him with Romo at QB but we had to lean on him with the other QBs which enabled him to gain the yards he did. We spent the last 4 games of the season with nothing to play for allowing McFadden to pad his rushing average and yards. McFadden's last 3 seasons in Oakland he averaged only 3.5 a carry which was the lowest in the league for a back not named Trent Richardson. He had 279 touches last season and only scored 3 TD's which is pathetic! He's not even close to a difference maker and some of you wanted to stay with him. Last week Zeke hurdled a defender and gained 5 more yards crashing through several more defenders. That play is happening whether you have Joe Montana at QB or Tent Dilfer. He destroyed the the #1 defense against the run and you and many others didn't want us to draft him. Some still think drafting him was a mistake. LOL

Go watch some of the runs he's had this season after first contact, NO WAY does McFadden or any average to good back make those kind of yards. We're seeing what a great back can do and it's reminding me of the early 90s with Emmitt Smith. Keep talking up all the numbers you think McFadden could have had with Romo when his worst game of his season in 2015 netted only 1.1 a carry with Romo in the lineup. Let that sink in! We made the right decision drafting Zeke and anyone who thinks it was a mistake hasn't a clue or an ounce of football sense. If he stays healthy he'll be one of the great backs in franchise history.

Lool, nobody is avoiding your questions.

How much simpler can I make it for you?

SIMPLY POST YOUR QUESTIONS and I'll answer them. OTHERWISE, I'm not going to waste my time sifting through your meandering screeds. I'd rather read 300 pages of chicken scratch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lool, nobody is avoiding your questions.

How much simpler can I make it for you?

SIMPLY POST YOUR QUESTIONS and I'll answer them. OTHERWISE, I'm not going to waste my time sifting through your meandering screeds. I'd rather read 300 pages of chicken scratch.

You spent two days rebooting only to come back and continue to divert? lol You're avoiding questions that have been repeatedly asked because you have no answers. Stop trying to insult the intelligence of everyone. I got you pinned in a corner and have you squirming. :laugh: Dude, questions are sentences that end in a punctuation mark (?) indicating a question and you keep avoiding them. You wouldn't be in this thread if you didn't agree with the OP. You should have gotten out of dodge with rest who agreed with him before you got shot into a corner. I might just try and locate that thread from Aug where me and you went at it and start posting some of your quotes and everyone can sit back and watch you jump around like your pants are on fire...LMAO! You'll have even more questions to dodge if I decide to find that thread. I'll post my quotes and yours and we'll see who knew what they were talking about. :thumbup: