Drew Pearson on Dak Prescott: 'Romo will do even better'

AzorAhai

Reaction score
It's bashing him to suggest that he only has 1 passing touchdown in three games? Really?
The way you put it, absolutely. He had two drops in week one that should have been TDs, one to Witten and Beasley that was a foot from a TD and two rushing TDs. But, he only has one passing TD so that's what you point out. Even ignoring those things and not mentioning how well he has played in general does nothing but undermine whatever point you are going to claim you were making.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Romo comes back that means he will be taking the reps and that may disturb Dak's progress. I just think that if Dak continues to play like this...and that's still a big 'if' because Washington and Chicago are not great defenses....but if he continues to play like this than I'm not very interested in Romo playing QB.

YR

Dak will still be taking a lot of reps and I don't think it is going to hurt his progress and I fully expect Dak to continue to learning when Romo comes back.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Pardon me for asking but what if just what if Romo comes in and plays worse than Dak? How long do you stick with him?
Years !! at least 3 years. Then maybe they go to dak who is now gotten used to the bench and clipboard.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Drew Pearson is the same person that said he'd trade any Cowboy, other than Herschel Walker, for Tony Mandarich, and that we should've taken Mandarich instead of Aikman. So, I don't put much stock in his opinon. That being said, I agree with him. As long as they keep Dak a pocket passer, then Romo will get his job back, since Romo can do that at an elite level when healthy. However, if we start incorporating Dak's mobility into the gameplan, and teams have to game plan to account for Dak's mobility, and we're winning, then Tony won't get his job back since he can't do that. If we're winning based on Dak's mobility, then that becomes our identity. And, we will not change our identity just to get Romo back under Center. In 2014, when it was obvious Romo was rusty and couldn't carry the team, we became a run first team and started winning. That became our identity. Once Romo got healthy, and shook off the rust, we maintained our identity and continued to be a run first team. If we start winning based on Dak's mobility, then that will be our identity and the team will not alter their identity and Romo goes to the bench. If we're winning with Dak being primarily a pocket passer, then that will be our identity, and Romo can do that at an elite level, so Romo will get his job back. It's as simple as that. So, in the coming weeks, don't focus on just winning, also focus on HOW we're winning. That will tell you what our identity is, and we won't change our identity... even for Romo.

Well that is a good point, but even if dak uses his mobility more, after the GB game and bye week, I think tony will be back no matter what.
If the Team is 6-1 and beats Cin and GB in convincing fashion, then maybe they stay with dak.
I think even if they are 6-1 they may still bring Romo back, and he will then play till he gets hurt again or season ends.

My take is if it aint broke dont "fix" it !!

And drew was a good wr, but not all that smart. Mandarich ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not surprising. We have a grotesquely embarrassing fan base. Worst in all of sports.
We have a fan base which is broader than most teams made up of fans who have flocked to us from all parts of the country and the world. Even many of the local fanbase are wagon fans only interested when we're playing well.

To many of these fans Romo represents an era without much success and if that lack of success is going to continue then why not usher in some new blood who is creating some excitement.

I wouldn't be so hard on some of these. It's been a disappointing and frustrating era. Dak is creating some excitement among the fan base much like Romo did 10 years ago. They see a new era being put together and it is exciting.

Sometimes it's difficult seeing when one era is ending and another beginning . Not everyone is as attached to this current era . Knowing when to let go can even be difficult for the more polished expert .

Who has confidence that Jerry will know when that is? Or if he'll be influenced by other agendas or factors? There's much to take into consideration. Its not as clear cut as with a team and QB who have been to or won championships .

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see. I'm not convinced about anything until I see Romo play. I know one thing, Dak is a threat to run the ball and Romo isn't anymore. It's a good "problem" to have quite frankly.

Gameover

Reaction score
singlehandedly
singlehandedly? You Romoites are good for a laugh at least.

The Cowboys are a talented team(offense), Romo has been lucky to be surrounded by such a talented cast.

Last edited:

kevm3

Reaction score
2014 Romo, sure... but we don't really know which Romo we will be getting. He's only played a handful of football games over the past year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Insulting and or attacking other fans because they don't agree with you is childish and bordering on the tactics we generally are seeing in today's society on issues with divisive opinions. Very sad to see!!

I'd hope to see a better example from some of the veteran members here like Erod who I generally respect even when I don't agree with every post .

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
One more injury and that's it. If Tony comes back and is injury free then fine but if he gets hurt again....we can't keep wasting seasons waiting for him to get better.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
singlehandedly? You Romoites are good for a laugh at least.

The Cowboys are a talented team, Romo has been lucky to be surrounded by such a talented cast.

Really? What was Weeden's excuse, then? Or Cassel's?

They played on the same team but couldn't win.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Until I see Dak down 3 scores and able to come back, I wont think we're "set"

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck so don't interpret this question as such.

But did Troy Aikman ever have to come back from down three touchdowns and lead the Cowboys to victory?

I can't really remember. Troy was blessed with a team that really didn't have to come back from deep deficits, yet he's considered one of the greats.

I get your point, but I don't think it's a prerequisite for a great quarterback.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck so don't interpret this question as such.

But did Troy Aikman ever have to come back from down three touchdowns and lead the Cowboys to victory?

I can't really remember. Troy was blessed with a team that really didn't have to come back from deep deficits, yet he's considered one of the greats.

I get your point, but I don't think it's a prerequisite for a great quarterback.

Just the first thing on google: http://newsok.com/article/2667285

You can scratch the fourth-quarter miracle theory after Aikman threw five touchdown passes to lead the Dallas Cowboys to an improbable 41-35 overtime win over Washington on Sunday afternoon at Commanders Stadium.

The final play was a 76-yard TD pass to Raghib Ismail in which Ismail was wide open. But Ismail's TD catch would have never been possible if the Cowboys hadn't scored 21 fourth-quarter points to erase a 35-14 deficit and match the largest comeback victory in franchise history.

"This is probably the wildest football game I've ever been a part of," Aikman said. "For us to be down 21 points with a little over 11 minutes left and come back and make some plays... it was a great team victory."

In a game in which you could write a dozen stories to describe all the pivotal plays, the one thing that stood out was the play of the Cowboys' thirtysomething stars - Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin.

Aikman completed 28 of 49 passes for 362 yards and five touchdowns, directing fourth-quarter TD drives of 70, 66 and 90 yards to overcome a 21-point deficit, matching a 1984 come-from-behind win over New Orleans.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Great point, glad he is not the GM !!! Aikman was our QB for 3 Super Bowl wins, what did Tony Mandarich in his days as an NFL player ?

Hindsight is 20/20. I believe I remember Jimmy Johnson saying he would have taken Mandarich if not for Aikman being a franchise quarterback.

So Pearson made a mistake in talent evaluation. That doesn't make his opinion forever dismissible.

"Most" experts thought Mandarich was the first if not the second best player in this draft.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The organization believes in Romo's ability but not his ability to stay healthy. He's only started 4 games in the Cowboys last 19 games. With the injuries piling up it's bound to diminish his skills. It's pretty clear he's not moving around as well as he used to and this latest injury to his back may slow him down even more, making it more difficult for him to avoid sacks and hits.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Just the first thing on google: http://newsok.com/article/2667285

You can scratch the fourth-quarter miracle theory after Aikman threw five touchdown passes to lead the Dallas Cowboys to an improbable 41-35 overtime win over Washington on Sunday afternoon at Commanders Stadium.

The final play was a 76-yard TD pass to Raghib Ismail in which Ismail was wide open. But Ismail's TD catch would have never been possible if the Cowboys hadn't scored 21 fourth-quarter points to erase a 35-14 deficit and match the largest comeback victory in franchise history.

"This is probably the wildest football game I've ever been a part of," Aikman said. "For us to be down 21 points with a little over 11 minutes left and come back and make some plays... it was a great team victory."

In a game in which you could write a dozen stories to describe all the pivotal plays, the one thing that stood out was the play of the Cowboys' thirtysomething stars - Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin.

Aikman completed 28 of 49 passes for 362 yards and five touchdowns, directing fourth-quarter TD drives of 70, 66 and 90 yards to overcome a 21-point deficit, matching a 1984 come-from-behind win over New Orleans.

Knock and it shall be open unto you. :)

Thanks.