DT Irving misses media portion of practice dealing with child custody case

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I understand children are important, but this is a legal matter, not taking his kid to the hospital or anything. Can a lawyer not handle this?

Yes but HE MUST BE PRESENT to even have a shoot at winning. The other lawyer would absolutely use his absence in the courtroom to his clients advantage.

Actually I’m really surprised you even made that comment.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
If there are weekly court appearances, then surely his lawyer can ask the Judge to schedule them for the day off? Irving wont keep his job if he keeps missing time - which isnt good for the child.

You are obviously not informed to how court scheduling works. You can ask but doesn’t mean it can happen, ever hear the term case load? Also custody cases are different because they try to get those resolved a lot quicker than criminal or civil cases because it involves “lives”!

CowboysRule

Reaction score
You are obviously not informed to how court scheduling works. You can ask but doesn’t mean it can happen, ever hear the term case load? Also custody cases are different because they try to get those resolved a lot quicker than criminal or civil cases because it involves “lives”!
This has been going on for months...

Zeke was fighting a suspension in the courts last year for how long? How many practices did he miss?

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
See Cap, this was my point. The giant army of Cowboyhaters want this crap all over the news to “muddy the waters” and create distraction—makes it harder for a team to be successful.

The problem is when he wasn’t present for the media portion they are going to ask. And if you say that they could have made up some excuse and not tell them the whole story, well that will obviously backfire has soon as a court reporter sees him at the courthouse.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
This has been going on for months...

Zeke was fighting a suspension in the courts last year for how long? How many practices did he miss?

Again Zeke was in a civil case and this is a custody case. You obviously don’t understand the significance of this but I forgive you. And as for as going on for months, this is the first time we heard there was an actual court hearing. Just saying.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Again Zeke was in a civil case and this is a custody case. You obviously don’t understand the significance of this but I forgive you. And as for as going on for months, this is the first time we heard there was an actual court hearing. Just saying.
Are you a lawyer? You come off like one. Arrogant ** sounding. You are from Philly, maybe that's it.

He's been dealing with all of this for months. It's why he missed all of training camp. And some practices the past few weeks.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It's not always just a matter of affording lawyers. For example, a lawyer can't testify, or give a deposition or sign a document in lieu of the party he represents. Also, a lawyer isn't a substitute for a parent showing up in person at a hearing or a meeting with the judge, and it is vital to a parent seeking custody to show the court he/she is willing to do what it takes to support the child.
Oh I agree. However, 11 months later? I am sure depositions and statements have all been taken and documented. There is NO excuse for him to miss practice. Especially after being suspended for 4 games for his own stupidity.

phildadon86

Reaction score
For as open minded as you are when it comes to drug addiction you are coming across as close minded and dense on this subject. Bro idgaf about football thats a game, I would be in custody court myself too. Kids come before a stupid football practice
I am sorry, but considering what I went thru and how much time I was allowed off of work I cant condone this. I took 3 weeks off after losing the woman I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with. Hes had 11 months for this. Give me a break.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well even this will start the usual suspects on a whining rampage about him.
can the mods please delete these type of threads..personal stuff not related to football in an attempt to bash player is not a subject we should discus..its none of our business and frankly neither is it the Medias business..they hover on every Fart these guys make and The DC, his employer, and DI are the only people that need to be in the know about this..many people normal non famous people go through this stuff without all the hassle..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Oh I agree. However, 11 months later? I am sure depositions and statements have all been taken and documented. There is NO excuse for him to miss practice. Especially after being suspended for 4 games for his own stupidity.
none of your FN business bro.. seriously get life..stop worrying about things that are not football related..i blame the media first but fans that think they should even comment on this stuff is idiotic..

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am sorry, but considering what I went thru and how much time I was allowed off of work I cant condone this. I took 3 weeks off after losing the woman I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with. Hes had 11 months for this. Give me a break.

While I do wholeheartedly apologize and am sorry for your loss that is irrelevant to Irving's case. My newborn son died in 2015 while I was in the Navy. I got 2 weeks to be with my wife before I had to go back to my daily assignments. My point is that every career is different, and at the end of the day football is a game.

Everson24

Reaction score
Not one to give Jerry & Co too many props as a football organization but, when it comes to taking care of his players, old Jones has a lotta heart.

Upset because a good player has off-field issues? Yeah...count me in.

But the man’s family comes first.
Jerry Jones is a great owner. He loves his players and will do almost anything to help them off the field. Deion Sanders even said no former player will say anything bad about him as a man. He honestly cares too much to be a good GM though. That may be his biggest weakness.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A custody battle probably wouldn’t motivate OR justify action by the Commish, but since Mara’s his pal, it wouldn’t surprise me if some sabre rattling manufactured some distractions.

So put away the Reynolds Wrap, pard!

Sorry, but I think you are stretching for a conspiracy. It's not at all that I think any team (Cowboys included) is above leaning a bit on the commissioner to take action against another team, but there has to be some foundation for it. As you said, a custody battle would neither motivate or justify action by the commissioner, so realistically what could the commissioner do even if Mara wanted him to do something? Hell, he couldn't even hint there could be action against a player because of a custody battle, and without that as a threat what could he do to cause a distraction?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

First, maybe you missed this part, but he only missed the MEDIA portion of practice, not the whole thing.

In any case, I imagine depositions probably have been taken, but that wasn't the only thing I mentioned that might need to be handled in person. Meeting with a the judge, attending a hearing, meeting with child services or being evaluated for fitness as a parent, signing documents - these are all things that a lawyer can't do in his clients place.

And, yes, there are excuses for missing practice. I know it's frustrating with a player that has been suspended a few times and who has just come off a suspension, but if whatever Irving had to deal with would help him in his custody case, and help get the child away from a bad situation with the other parent, that is a damn good excuse to miss practice. I can't imagine any parent saying otherwise.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
I understand children are important, but this is a legal matter, not taking his kid to the hospital or anything. Can a lawyer not handle this?
Really??
Send a lawyer to take care of your personal family biz??????

You must not be a parent yet

phildadon86

Reaction score
none of your FN business bro.. seriously get life..stop worrying about things that are not football related..i blame the media first but fans that think they should even comment on this stuff is idiotic..
Actually it is my business. Its all of our businesses. Our money pays his salary. Thats one. 2. He signed up for this when he decided to be a professional football player. He had no issue making his personal business known himself when he posted a picture of the woman he is currently fighting with letting him have a 3 way on instagram. So yeah. Sorry. I will not mind my business. Sorry if i take missing work a little personal when people going thru way worse crap have to go back to work because its how they survive.

csirl

Reaction score

I was a Court Registrar in a former life.....including a stint in charge of serious childcare cases.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Are you a lawyer? You come off like one. Arrogant ** sounding. You are from Philly, maybe that's it.

He's been dealing with all of this for months. It's why he missed all of training camp. And some practices the past few weeks.

Actually no I am not and I don’t mean to sound arrogant has that is totally the opposite of my personality, but I do have experience with custody hearings and it is almost impossible to win those if you are not in attendance. Especially being a father trying to gain custody of a daughter. Just my experience brother.

Last edited: