Signed by Cowboys Dunbar re-signs ** One Year $1.75M **

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'm good w/ this. Didn't break the bank....Cowboys are re-signing free agent RB Lance Dunbar on a 1-year, $1.75 million deal

One less position we gotta burn a draft pick on. Having a shifty little scat back is a nice bonus. Still expect us to draft a RB though.:rolleyes:

RS12

Reaction score
Absolutely. Tyler Ervin could be selected in the middle rounds and be superior and gosh, look there, able to stay healthy.

Was about to post this. Ervins probably doesnt end up getting broken in two where ever he goes.

robjay04

Reaction score
Well since we didn't resign Turbin or we haven't shown much interest in any other back, I'm okay with it.

McFadden
Rookie
Dunbar

Not bad, if we signed Miller or made a run at Morris, I would consider signing Dunbar a waste unless we do officially convert him to receiver.

rpntex

Reaction score
Not for wr. As a backup rb, yes.

Disagree, in that Dunbar's position isn't a true backup RB. He plays a position that is unique in Linehan's offense, and there is nobody in the Dallas RB stable that possesses Dunbar's specific skill set. In fact, there are only 3-4 in the entire NFL (Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles come to mind). If there was another RB on the roster like him, or if there was one abailable in the draft or FA who also had the potential to surpass him, then you could call him a progress stopper. Until thden, just whose progres is he stopping?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

So like Carroll and Matt Moore, he returned to his team. Does this mean no one wants to play for San Francisco and Seattle anymore since he just signed a measly deal?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Disagree, in that Dunbar's position isn't a true backup RB. He plays a position that is unique in Linehan's offense, and there is nobody in the Dallas RB stable that possesses Dunbar's specific skill set. In fact, there are only 3-4 in the entire NFL (Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles come to mind). If there was another RB on the roster like him, or if there was one abailable in the draft or FA who also had the potential to surpass him, then you could call him a progress stopper. Until thden, just whose progres is he stopping?

Ok. He's used very little if at all for rb. He comes in on passing downs for that skill to get downfield. As for progress stopper, if he was on the field mainly as a rb, that stops the progress of our draft pick (who will be used as a backup to McFadden). But just my opinion.

The Natural

Reaction score
The Dunbar criticism puzzles me. Health wise his track record is better than both Lee and Claiborne. And when utilized correctly, he may be the most explosive player on this team. Dez is the best talent but 5-6 years in they still have yet to figure out how to fully utilize him.

rpntex

Reaction score
Any RB we draft.. He can't stay healthy at all. And it's a waste of money.

Seriously? Is that "any RB that we draft" going to come in on specific 3rd down situations, split out wide, or catch the ball out of the backfield? If that "any RB that we draft" ends up being the #2 behind McFadden, he won't lose any snaps to Dunbar. If he's the #3 behind McFadden, then he'll lose some snaps - but to the #2, not to Dunbar.

Dunbar is not a backup RB. He's not the #2 or even the #3. He plays a unique position all his own.

CWR

Reaction score
Geez people it's not like we signed him long term. He's a good player albeit often injured. But it's tough for me to get upset at a one year deal for a player we know is effective when on the field. Alot of guys have turned thier careers around after injuries who's to say Dunbar can't be one of them?

I think we've reached the point of the off season where we are so frustrated about what has/hasn't happen that any minor deal is just another reason to be pissed.

rpntex

Reaction score
Ok. He's used very little if at all for rb. He comes in on passing downs for that skill to get downfield. As for progress stopper, if he was on the field mainly as a rb, that stops the progress of our draft pick (who will be used as a backup to McFadden). But just my opinion.

I see your point, but still disagree. Dunbar will get his snaps on plays when you don't use a typical RB. It's roughly akin to using a second TE. When he's in the game, it's to fill a specific role, and it's never thought of as him holding back the WR he's replacing.