Signed by Cowboys Dunbar re-signs ** One Year $1.75M **

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not stopping progress for a 3rd string RB for crying out loud. We'll bring in a rookie to pair with McFadden, and use Dunbar in patterns like we want to. He's a flexible player. This is a good thing.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Seriously? Is that "any RB that we draft" going to come in on specific 3rd down situations, split out wide, or catch the ball out of the backfield? If that "any RB that we draft" ends up being the #2 behind McFadden, he won't lose any snaps to Dunbar. If he's the #3 behind McFadden, then he'll lose some snaps - but to the #2, not to Dunbar.

Dunbar is not a backup RB. He's not the #2 or even the #3. He plays a unique position all his own.

Yea he plays 4 games a year. Injury prone as they come. Plenty of running backs in the draft can do what he does.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I see your point, but still disagree. Dunbar will get his snaps on plays when you don't use a typical RB. It's roughly akin to using a second TE. When he's in the game, it's to fill a specific role, and it's never thought of as him holding back the WR he's replacing.

Sure, the role of a wr. Not getting carries at rb. He's a good wr, that's why he isn't holding back the WR he's replacing.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Who else you gonna sign from this list? And feel like you got equal value? Better than having to go into the draft and spending 2 draft choices....

Age in parenthesis...

Running Backs

Montee Ball (26)
Joique Bell (30)
LeGarrette Blount (30)
Ahmad Bradshaw (30)
Bryce Brown (25)
Reggie Bush (31)
Benny Cunningham (26) (R)
Anthony Dixon (29)
Lance Dunbar (26)
Arian Foster (30)
Toby Gerhart (29)
Jonathan Grimes (27)
Boom Herron (27)
Tim Hightower (30)
Ronnie Hillman (25)
Kendall Hunter (28)
Fred Jackson (35)
Steven Jackson (33)
Chris Johnson (31)
Christine Michael (26)
Alfred Morris (28)
Isaiah Pead (27)
Bernard Pierce (25)
Chris Polk (27)
Bobby Rainey (29)
Chase Reynolds (29)
Stevan Ridley (27)
Antone Smith (31)
James Starks (30)
Pierre Thomas (32)
Jordan Todman (26)

rpntex

Reaction score
Yea he plays 4 games a year. Injury prone as they come. Plenty of running backs in the draft can do what he does.

He averaged 5.5 receptions per game and 10 yards per. No other RB on the roster did that.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Yep. Running out a kickoff from about 8 yards deep. Dumb move.

Yeah....I felt bad for the guy but that was SO dumb and selfish. I don't think him coming back in s a big deal BTW. He hasn't ever been the difference maker we hoped for. Now he blew out his knee. Why would he be better?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
One less position we gotta burn a draft pick on. Having a shifty little scat back is a nice bonus. Still expect us to draft a RB though.:rolleyes:

We had three of those last year.

On an unrelated note...

Kellen Moore to the rescuuuuueeeeeeeeeee

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
LOL I must Dunbar's last fan standing. Obviously oft injured, which stinks. But when he's actually available, he's a nice little receiving threat for the "2 minute" or "4 minute" offense. For basically 1.5 million, it's a good signing for a young guy with talent who knows the offense and that the team trusts in the passing game. Again, if he's injured(again), obviously it's a waste.

What's more significant is how this affects the overall look of the RB corps. To me, both DMC and Dunbar are best suited for the same role - 3rd down back. DMC doesn't seem as effective if he's sharing carries as he did with Randle early last season.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
So is this one of the two signings we were supposed to expect today?

rpntex

Reaction score
Sure, the role of a wr. Not getting carries at rb. He's a good wr, that's why he isn't holding back the WR he's replacing.

No, you misunderstood. The phrase "holding back a WR" was in reference to the 2nd TE that is used in specific situations. He (TE2) isn't thought of as holding back a WR because the WR doesn't fit the role in the specific situation. Unless that backup RB possesses the same skill set as Dunbar, he won't fit the role to begin with.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
Yeah....I felt bad for the guy but that was SO dumb and selfish. I don't think him coming back in s a big deal BTW. He hasn't ever been the difference maker we hoped for. Now he blew out his knee. Why would he be better?

I know last year was a real long year, but have we forgotten the opener vs NYG and how crucial he was in that final drive for the game winning TD? That's why they brought him back. He's proven to be a difference maker when he's on the field. His problem is he hasn't been able to stay on the field. And its for 1 year, if he can stay healthy he would be that difference maker people are talking about. If he can't, it's a 1 year deal and we move on. I don't see the harm.

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No, you misunderstood. The phrase "holding back a WR" was in reference to the 2nd TE that is used in specific situations. He (TE2) isn't thought of as holding back a WR because the WR doesn't fit the role in the specific situation. Unless that backup RB possesses the same skill set as Dunbar, he won't fit the role to begin with.

No, the misunderstanding is you. He is going out downfield as a wr. Being targeted as a wr. You have your view, I mine. Let's move on.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
The Dunbar criticism puzzles me. Health wise his track record is better than both Lee and Claiborne. And when utilized correctly, he may be the most explosive player on this team. Dez is the best talent but 5-6 years in they still have yet to figure out how to fully utilize him.

I'm with you. There's so much negativity about him on this board, and I don't understand why. He's proven he can be a playmaker, and he is very explosive. Yes he's had some injury issues, but that doesn't mean he's trash. I'm glad to see him come back.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The offenses version of Matt Johnson.

He is more like Kevin Ogletree.

Keeps coming back for some mysterious reason, mainly because of flash production here and there.

In a couple of years, you will be like "remember that guy, what was his name, Lance something."

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Glad he got re-signed. He's not a progress stopper. If you can't beat out Dunbar at the #3 RB position...then you don't deserve to play. It's as simple as that. Meanwhile, we get a veteran who was extremely effective when he got the ball last season...be it receiving or running. He's a matchup problem for defenses, exactly how the Patriots create their offenses...have matchup issues and take advantage of him. The question I have is how he will come back from this injury.

YR