E-Lie Throws Another League Leading INT - Now 11 More Than Romo

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
No one is constantly singing the praises of Eli, you come on here and make ANOTHER post about a qb on another team and no one understands why. Then you get upset when they ask why or point out and agree that Eli has more int's but he also has two rings, its just a difference of opinions... You obviously make a lot of money playing fantasy football hence your fixation on stats, the rest of the world fixates on winning championships, and to a man if Romo had Eli's career, the bad years, the picks, PLUS the two superbowl trophies and MVPs I don't think anyone on this site would ever allow anyone to say anything bad about him. Why, because he brought us two SB victories and I would not care if he stunk the rest of his career after the second one.

See. You miss the point. Eli relied on a very good defense and two unbelievably lucky plays. Welker drop and Tyree miracle.
We have not been that lucky.
The point is that now without that and a good line, things Romo hasn't had, his status as a great qb is being questioned.

slomoxn

Reaction score
No, I understand exactly what Eli had, the same argument is made from opposing teams fans about Aikman in the 90's. Ive heard it a thousand times, "he had the best line in NFL history, and Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin" take those away and he is nothing"... My reply is he had them and now has three rings, three MVPs and is in the HOF, DEAL WITH IT!!! Breaks happen good and bad, and Romo has had his share on both sides, but the arguments don't always work, Rogers proved that when he won his SB with GreenBay, sacked the most in the league, no running game and a porous defense. Greenbay Packers won the SB riding Rogers coattails that year. So I don't think Romo is a bad qb, I like him but his stats still don't trump Eli's rings, team win or no, cause if I go with that I have to give up my memory of Aikman putting the ball on Irvin's back shoulder in double coverage with a db hanging on to one arm while the other one is tackling him and Irving having to catch the ball with one hand. See, Romo doesn't make that throw, you call Eli's throws and catches lucky and yes they are but he makes the throw because he has to, what happens after it leaves his hands is up in the air, good break or bad break, he is the winner or loser, his luck is he is the winner twice and I'm not mad at him for that.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
This is so stupid. Because I can name QB's that have less Super Bowl wins that are way....way....way better than Eli Manning can dream of. So, if you logic is correct, then he is better than his older brother, better than Drew Brees, better than Brett Farve. I'm so tired of this debate and it is stupid.

Why can't people realize that this is a team game? Why can't people see that Eli is not that great of a QB? I just don't get it? Sure, he won the two SB, but people act like he did it on his own.

You must have missed the part where I mentioned that ALL super bowl winning QBs have great teams around them. I never said that Eli's two rings make him better than any of the QBs that you mentioned. But you saying that "Eli is not that great of a QB" when he has two super bowl wins to show for it AND YES HE DID PLAY A BIG PART IN THE GIANTS WINNINGS THOSE TWO SUPER BOWLS, is pretty ridiculous.

The problem with the point that you're trying to make, is that all of those guys you mentioned HAVE super bowl victories. Tony Romo has one playoff win. Team game? yes...but he's the most important part of the team and he hasn't been able to get it done when it matters. I don't need to point out all the obvious examples of when Tony Romo has failed to lead this team past mediocrity.

It just frustrates me that people will COMPLETELY disregard Super Bowl victories in favor of statistics.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
See. You miss the point. Eli relied on a very good defense and two unbelievably lucky plays. Welker drop and Tyree miracle.
We have not been that lucky.
The point is that now without that and a good line, things Romo hasn't had, his status as a great qb is being questioned.

Did you miss the part where Eli escaped pretty much the entire Patriots d-line to get that pass off to Tyree? The same exact thing that most of us praise Romo for, extending the play, is being completely disregarded in evaluating Eli's TD pass.

Also, even if Welker caught that ball, there's no guarantee that the Patriots would have still won the game. They still had quite a ways to go for a TD. Also in that same game, Eli threw a perfect pass to Manningham which ultimately culminated in a TD.

Romo has had chances in the past to do what Eli has done and he hasn't. Romo has been in situations time and time again to prove that he isn't who he's portrayed as and what does he do? He does exactly what everyone expects him to do.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Did you miss the part where Eli escaped pretty much the entire Patriots d-line to get that pass off to Tyree?

You obviously didn't get the memo that every positive play that Eli Manning has made in his Superbowl runs was pure dumb luck. Zero of it can actually be attributed to the skill of capabilities of Eli Manning.

Conversely, every positive play made by Tony Romo is purely a result of Tony Romo's skills, determination, clutch-ness, and his undeniable ability to perform in big game situations.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Did you miss the part where Eli escaped pretty much the entire Patriots d-line to get that pass off to Tyree? The same exact thing that most of us praise Romo for, extending the play, is being completely disregarded in evaluating Eli's TD pass.

Also, even if Welker caught that ball, there's no guarantee that the Patriots would have still won the game. They still had quite a ways to go for a TD. Also in that same game, Eli threw a perfect pass to Manningham which ultimately culminated in a TD.

Romo has had chances in the past to do what Eli has done and he hasn't. Romo has been in situations time and time again to prove that he isn't who he's portrayed as and what does he do? He does exactly what everyone expects him to do.

Romo has never had a dominating DL like the giants . Let's face it luck was also on Eli's side . Asante Samuel dropped an easy pick 6 on the final drive . I think what most are trying to say is romo is better than Eli despite the two rings . I mean is Bart star better than Dan Marino ?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

If welker caught that ball that game was over. Miracle throw. Lucky scramble. That's my opinion.
The cowboys with Romo have not had as good of team as the Giants have. Except the year when Crayton messed up.
Miles losing the ball in the lights play was a perfect read and throw to seal the game.
Romo is a better qb in my opinion. Just not nearly as lucky.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
You obviously didn't get the memo that every positive play that Eli Manning has made in his Superbowl runs was pure dumb luck. Zero of it can actually be attributed to the skill of capabilities of Eli Manning.

Conversely, every positive play made by Tony Romo is purely a result of Tony Romo's skills, determination, clutch-ness, and his undeniable ability to perform in big game situations.

The stupidity and played out obviousness of your exaggeration can't be overstated.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
If welker caught that game was over. Miracle throw. Lucky scramble. That's my opinion.
The cowboys with Romo have not had as good of team as the Giants have. Except the year when Crayton messed up.
Miles losing the ball in the lights play was a perfect read and throw to seal the game

Ugh... Here we go again....excuses for why Eli won his Super Bowls and excuses for why we haven't had the same kind of success. I'm sick of all the excuses being made for this team...

It's kind of like the Barry Sanders vs Emmitt Smith debate...all I hear is "if Barry had" or "Barry would have"

All of the Barry Sanders debates start with "ifs" and "would haves" and all of the Emmitt Smith debates start with "He did"

Same thing with Dallas and New York... "If Dallas had" "If Miles had" "If Crayton had" blah blah blah...

The Giants "Did"

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Ugh... Here we go again....excuses for why Eli won his Super Bowls and excuses for why we haven't had the same kind of success. I'm sick of all the excuses being made for this team...

It's kind of like the Barry Sanders vs Emmitt Smith debate...all I hear is "if Barry had" or "Barry would have"

All of the Barry Sanders debates start with "ifs" and "would haves" and all of the Emmitt Smith debates start with "He did"

Same thing with Dallas and New York... "If Dallas had" "If Miles had" "If Crayton had" blah blah blah...

The Giants "Did"

Great. Get your red and blue pompoms and make up a new Go Eli cheer.
This is a forum where people can think about scenerios that might or could have happened.
You're sick of it. Well know one cares.

perrykemp

Reaction score
. I mean is Bart star better than Dan Marino ?

I know you were trying to make a quick example, however, the answer is YES, Bart Starr was a better QB than Dan Marino.

Besides 5 Championships/Superbowls he was an incredible efficient passer for his generation.

As an example: Bart Starr had two seasons where he finished with a 100+ QB rating which is absolutely incredible for the 1960s. Dan Marino had exactly one season where he finished with a 100+ QB rating.

I often view Starr and Staubach very much alike -- the most efficient passers of their eras (the 1960s and 1970s) -- I think both would have good today.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Let me guess you're going to ignore me like some other ladies do on here.

Sorry, I didn't realize I had a time limit to respond...I'll respond to your points one at a time.

First of all...I have no intentions to make any sort of Eli Manning fanfare...but I'm not going to sit here and act he's garbage while Romo, if certain things had happened, would have numerous rings by now.

Second, that's the problem with this fanbase. You guys like to live in the past and rehash what could have gone differently. You feel so bitter about things that did or didn't happen to this team. I really don't care what could have happened because any number of things could have happened. All I'm concerned with when it comes to this, and every other football team is what DID happen.

Third, I am sick of it and I don't care if you think "know" one cares.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's avoid the passive-aggressive insinuations and the name-calling, please.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Nah.. he didn't miss a thing.

Even if he did, he'll be able to relive it again next month.

Of all the meaningless, ridiculous, worthless, and non contributing posts made on this board daily by a myriad of posters, what you post makes their garbage seemingly beneficial by comparison. That is quite an accomplishment. You stand alone in the Zone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's also had receivers that have made some of the most ridiculous catches I've ever seen. "Throw it up and pray." Amazingly, those prayers have been answered.

Romo? Well. He's had a wide open Crayton completely stop his route for no apparent reason. Austin losing it in the lights. Dez being out of bounds because of a pinkie. etc. I could probably go on.

Perhaps it sounds like I'm whining. I'm sure plenty of people will think that I am. But in terms of sheer luck it's an amazing contrast.

For Tyree to make that ridiculous catch Eli had to escape what 99.9% of the time would have been a sack to gather himself and make that throw to give Tyree a chance. Manningham made a great catch in the SB 4 years later but FANS here refuse to credit Eli with a great throw. All FANS here do is claim it was just another lucky play by Eli. Had that been the Cowboys and Romo would Cowboy FANS claim it was all luck? Just to reach those 2 SB's Eli had to avoid turnovers and play efficient football in 6 do or die games. Romo's had opportunities to pull wins off in critical win or go home games but he's played poorly turning the ball over multiple times. He drove the Cowboys to the Giants 23 yard line in the 07 playoffs with seconds to play but couldn't get it done having a desperation throw on 4th down picked in the endzone.

Sure Crayton dropped a pass in that game but Romo was off the entire day only completing 50% of his passes. He didn't play close to the level he did during the regular season that year. Romo had a golden opportunity in the season finale last year to lead the Cowboys on a game winning drive in the final minutes vs Washington to capture the division title but turned the ball over at the worst possible time. He played miserable that night which has been a troubling trend for him in elimination games.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
So...forgetting about Romo for a minute...if the Giants miss the playoffs this year (or maybe even if they're one-and-done), do they draft a QB with a top pick? It will be interesting to see if they go in a different direction after a couple of down seasons from Eli.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I know you were trying to make a quick example, however, the answer is YES, Bart Starr was a better QB than Dan Marino.

Besides 5 Championships/Superbowls he was an incredible efficient passer for his generation.

As an example: Bart Starr had two seasons where he finished with a 100+ QB rating which is absolutely incredible for the 1960s. Dan Marino had exactly one season where he finished with a 100+ QB rating.

I often view Starr and Staubach very much alike -- the most efficient passers of their eras (the 1960s and 1970s) -- I think both would have good today.

Unbelievable , he wasn't close talent wise . Marino was a better passer in every kind of way possible .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So...forgetting about Romo for a minute...if the Giants miss the playoffs this year (or maybe even if they're one-and-done), do they draft a QB with a top pick? It will be interesting to see if they go in a different direction after a couple of down seasons from Eli.

I can't see them drafting a QB with their top pick because what we're seeing is typical Eli Manning turnovers and boneheaded plays until the games become critical then he starts turning it around. He had 15 ints in the first 6 games which led to an 0-6 record. He's had only 2 int's the past 4 games which has resulted in a 4-0 record. Like with Romo it's the multiple turnover games that kill Eli. He's thrown a number of pick-sixes this season which has helped cost the Giants games. Based on Eli's history and his 2 championships the Giants certainly aren't going to give up on him at only 32 years old. Last week vs GB was his second highest passer rating game of the season. His game is starting to come around like it usually does as we approach December.