Eagles release CB Darius Slay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
I aint gonna lie

Id rather have signed Slay, than Trade a pick for Gilmore
Likely a better player but he's also going to get paid by someone, likely a longer term deal than us paying Gilmore for one season. I like the flexibility of Gilmore being on contract for just a year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yep. Howie knows it too. I think Howie is resetting this year. He’ll eat cap space this year for a run next year. This is our chance right now. MM must go if we can’t to the NFCCG this year at a minimum.
Still gotta get past 49ers. I think truthfully last year we would’ve beat Philly if we met but 49ers seem like a thorn in our *** and they have gotten better.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Good that means the Eagles will probably have to go cornerback at 10. I was afraid they would get the Carter or the Texas running back.
Don't be surprised if Philly trades back from #10 as although they also have #30 in the 1st rounds, they only have a single 2nd, a single 3rd, and a few 7th-round picks so Roseman will try to trade back and gather some additional mid-round picks. What that means if they trade back to the mid-teens they could still grab RB Bijah Robinson and perhaps trade up from #30 to grab OG O'Cyrus Torrence....which would mean Philly would have one heck of a possible rushing attack to go with their WR weapons.

jujoboys

Reaction score
He was not. He entered the season that way but he tailed off. HE's always been overrated but he was probably a top 10 guy.
Right. Bradberry was the best CB on that team. Slay seemed to struggle down the stretch. That Philly DLine covered up a lot of warts in that secondary. Their best players in the secondary were Bradberry and Chauncey Gardner Johnson. I hope they lose CGJ but I fear this move was made to try and resign him.

Ken

Reaction score
sportrac is good for looking at individual contract details, but is not very sophisticated when reflecting how the contract affects the team as a whole. That’s where OvertheCap is better:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles

On the right side right above the cap hits, change the slider from pre-June 1st to post-June1st. That’s how we designated him
Ah, ok. That makes much more sense for them then. Didn't realize it was a June 1st designation.

Doesn't really help them retain CJGJ though...since that money doesn't free up until June....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Right. Bradberry was the best CB on that team. Slay seemed to struggle down the stretch. That Philly DLine covered up a lot of warts in that secondary. Their best players in the secondary were Bradberry and Chauncey Gardner Johnson. I hope they lose CGJ but I fear this move was made to try and resign him.
Yeah I was for sure they’d lose him but now I have a feeling they retain him now. Would’ve been a big blow to that defense.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Ah, ok. That makes much more sense for them then. Didn't realize it was a June 1st designation.

Doesn't really help them retain CJGJ though...since that money doesn't free up until June....
If Howie has a super power, it’s cap manipulation. I’m sure he can rig the contract to not have a bad hit right away but take up a lot the Slay savings later on

Status
Not open for further replies.