Twitter: Earl out here teasing us

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think you're right about that. He might threaten, but I don't think he'll risk losing $500,000 a week in game checks.
Heck no. They have already paid him 47 million and this 8.5 is the last installment of the big contract that HE signed. He is stiffing them by holding out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heck no. They have already paid him 47 million and this 8.5 is the last installment of the big contract that HE signed. He is stiffing them by holding out.

He is. I won't deny that. But I also can't totally bash a player for using the tactic in a world where teams seldom honor the entirety of player contracts anyway. Two sides to the equation.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is. I won't deny that. But I also can't totally bash a player for using the tactic in a world where teams seldom honor the entirety of player contracts anyway. Two sides to the equation.
I agree but the seahags are willing to honor the last year. If it was me I would honor it also as a person. I signed the deal which at the time Probly made him top dog. In 2014 his check was for over 14 million. They are willing to pay him the 8.5. I understand the wanting to make more money but because this is likely it for him. If he plays lights out this season he will be 31 next contract season so the chances are slim of getting offered huge money. Maybe short term but not 4 and 5 years deals. I don’t blame him for trying and maybe the hags will bite and give a extension but when camp starts he needs to show up regardless.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I agree but the seahags are willing to honor the last year. If it was me I would honor it also as a person. I signed the deal which at the time Probly made him top dog. In 2014 his check was for over 14 million. They are willing to pay him the 8.5. I understand the wanting to make more money but because this is likely it for him. If he plays lights out this season he will be 31 next contract season so the chances are slim of getting offered huge money. Maybe short term but not 4 and 5 years deals. I don’t blame him for trying and maybe the hags will bite and give a extension but when camp starts he needs to show up regardless.
He is 29 right now. Will be all season. Will be 30 when he signs his next contract if not extended before then.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think it's still to be determined if the Seahawks are willing to honor it. They were willing to deal him on draft day, they just didn't get their bloated asking price. If they keep him, they're willing. But that's yet to be determined.

I believe that Thomas recently turned 29, so he'll be 30 next year, not 31.

But it's clear to me that the Seahawks don't want to give him an extension. If they did, we wouldn't be here.

DiResta

Reaction score
Do you think that Seattle is going to have "success" in 2018? With or without Earl Thomas?
i know they wont have success against the Cowboys if Earl Thomas is playing as our safety ;)
think Seattle knows it too

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think it's still to be determined if the Seahawks are willing to honor it. They were willing to deal him on draft day, they just didn't get their bloated asking price. If they keep him, they're willing. But that's yet to be determined.

I believe that Thomas recently turned 29, so he'll be 30 next year, not 31.

But it's clear to me that the Seahawks don't want to give him an extension. If they did, we wouldn't be here.
If they don’t honor it then what? They cut him, maybe that’s the waiting game JJ is playing?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i know they wont have success against the Cowboys if Earl Thomas is playing as our safety ;)
think Seattle knows it too

OK, but do you seriously think they're beating anyone else this year?

I think they finished 9-7 last year before they lost a ton of player and coaching talent. Even in their own division, I see two teams acending while they're rebuilding.

They're certainly not making the playoffs this year and 2018 has rebuild written all over it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what is there options?

Trade him or keep him.

If they cut him, not only won't they get a draft pick now, they won't get a compensatory pick later either.

But they don't have to demand a second round draft pick to get a return. It's not an all or nothing deal.

If they trade him, they not only get the pick(s), but $8.5 million in cap relief, to use now or in the future. And they are rebuilding. Picks and cap space make more sense than holding onto one or two vets.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Earl Thomas can say all he wants now, but if Seattle doesn't want to move him he's suiting up for them in Week 1. He has 8.5 million reasons he won't hold out into the season. Seattle still holds all the cards. It's possible they don't think they are completely rebuilding and can compete and ET makes them better, so they shouldn't just give him away - and they won't.
Seattle holds the cards that matter most...which adds up to over 8 million in salary. THAT SAID...if they fail to trade him or extend him, this sitch will get NOT UGLY, but could divide the team and ownership.It may provide a wedge they simply don't need on a rebuilding team with youngsters. I say they cave and trade him any day now to alleviate any such thing from happening. Seattle got to cute.They should have dealt him for a 3rd and player to be named,and called it a day. Instead they are being dumb.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I don't know whether he will be traded or not but the cowboys are not one player away from serious contention in the playoffs he would help some to teach the young guys in the secondary

Rayman70

Reaction score
So what is there options?
force him to play..or trade him for a reasonable asking price. Thus far,Seattle has not been reasonable. Seattle reminds me of a person that has a car listed for sale that means more to that person than said car is actually worth(book value). I think that's whats going on here.Seattle has an infinity for Earl,and rightfully so,but there worth is vastly different than actual book value on said player on the market. That's why the divide and why he's not been moved. Until they stop being sentimental,and stop over pricing "the car" ..it won't sell. It will just sit and gather dust. That's THE BEST ANALOGY I CAN GIVE.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don't know whether he will be traded or not but the cowboys are not one player away from serious contention in the playoffs he would help some to teach the young guys in the secondary
AGREE and disagree. This 1 player sure would get us very close though. Depends how you look at it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not sure about that.

I think that Aaron Rodgers pass to cost us the playoff game in 2016 may have gone differently if it was Earl Thomas back there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AGREE and disagree. This 1 player sure would get us very close though. Depends how you look at it.

I agree. I don't think anyone can say for certain either way.

I think Thomas would allow the Cowboys to play single high safety a great deal. And if you can do that, your entire defense ends up looking markedly better.