Twitter: Earl out here teasing us

GMO415

Reaction score
Yawn. We'll raise our 6th SB without him. Why,? because he's no Deion.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree. I don't think anyone can say for certain either way.

I think Thomas would allow the Cowboys to play single high safety a great deal. And if you can do that, your entire defense ends up looking markedly better.
that be true my friend. NO DOUBT. It changes what you can run on defense immensely.Gives us some flexibility with players like LVE/Jaylon etc. Rod would be like a mad scientist lol.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure they will. He might help them get to 8-8 rather than 6-10. But even that "better team" isn't winning anything in 2018. You know it. I know it. And they know it. They won't even come close to the Rams in their own division.

Like everyone wants to mention, he's under contract. Their choices are either to pay him, trade him, or cut him.

Is a 3rd round pick "premium"?

Or he sits out all but the six games required for him to earn his freedom in 2019.

These Seahawks aren't "rivals" to anyone this year. They're not winning anything.

And I'd say the "worst option" is to continue down this road, forcing a disgruntled player to stay there while paying him $8.5 million, while you win nothing, and then watch him leave in 2019 and getting far less in return (if anything at all) in 2020.

I disagree. Seattle has not thrown in the towel this season regardless of your opinion of them. Seattle's current posture is better explained by my explanation than yours.

DiResta

Reaction score
OK, but do you seriously think they're beating anyone else this year?

I think they finished 9-7 last year before they lost a ton of player and coaching talent. Even in their own division, I see two teams acending while they're rebuilding.

They're certainly not making the playoffs this year and 2018 has rebuild written all over it.
i think they will be about as good as Wilson can carry them and thats about it
they are rebuilding and may be pretty bad

Rayman70

Reaction score
let me say this. If we stand pat and don't get ET this year or next. We better be damned sure Xavier Woods and company are up to the task. Otherwise this will be the move we will come to regret later..just like not drafting Moss when we had the chance. Woods better be not all pro..but close!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. Seattle has not thrown in the towel this season regardless of your opinion of them. Seattle's current posture is better explained by my explanation than yours.

Disagree all you want, the Seahawks are winning nothing this year. They got worse everywhere on their team after a 9-7 season in 2017. This is a rebuilding year. They don't have a towel to throw in. The teams in their division have already taken it from them.

Rayman70

Reaction score
When we drafted Zack Martin we went from a decent O-line to one of the best in the league. ET would have that kind of impact on our secondary.
agree. If examining the teams of the 90's,and the 70's...we always had a marquee safety holding down the fort. Its just the cowboy way. IT WORKS. Until we solve that puzzle,we won't elevate the team back to its glory. What I do like is the fact we hired Kris Richard. The dude is a beast of a DB coach. Best move we made all off season,bar none. Player or coaching. The cherry would be adding Thomas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think they will be about as good as Wilson can carry them and thats about it
they are rebuilding and may be pretty bad

Exactly. And they were bad last year, before they lost half of their good players and just about their entire coaching staff.

And at least two teams in their division have markedly improved while they've gotten considerably worse in every way. It's over for these Seahawks.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that.

I think that Aaron Rodgers pass to cost us the playoff game in 2016 may have gone differently if it was Earl Thomas back there.
Thanks for bringing that up.. lol. Jones just standing there. If he was 5 yards further back in coverage he knocks it down or picks it off.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for bringing that up.. lol. Jones just standing there. If he was 5 yards further back in coverage he knocks it down or picks it off.

And maybe that's a considerable reason why he isn't a safety anymore.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Exactly. And they were bad last year, before they lost half of their good players and just about their entire coaching staff.

And at least two teams in their division have markedly improved while they've gotten considerably worse in every way. It's over for these Seahawks.
They were one win from a playoff spot, with Kam and Sherman each missing half the season. They've lost a few more players (and coaches, as you've pointed out) so I don't think they'll be good but they were hardly a shitshow last season. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that they compete this season.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Seattle has to score over 30 per this year to just go 7-9. That D looks GAWD AWFUL. They lost so much..its hard to overcome in 1 offseason. CLEARLY..this year will be a feeling out process for them to see what they need.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And maybe that's a considerable reason why he isn't a safety anymore.
He played a lot of corner his rookie year and did pretty well. Our new secondary coach likes bigger CB. So this will be his last shot. He didn’t live up to his draft spot. But neither did claybourne.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
seattle be good peasants and take the 3rd. let the young man come home.

The Cowboys should not give up a 3rd.

The Seahawks are in a very weak negotating position.

They discussed a trade with the Cowboys in April. It appears they gave permission to Dallas to talk to ET's agent about what would be required for a contract extention. It seems that ETs knows Dallas would pay him; therefore he is going to stand on his head to force the issue with Seattle.

Seattle appears ready to move on and they have dumped a lot of contracts. They likely don't want to keep him and pay his 8.5M salary or deal with him being disgruntled.

They would get a comp pick if he stays for 2018 and then signs with another team as a free agent.

The very best comp pick would be a 3rd in 2020. Another team's 4th in 2019 is worth more than a 3rd in 2020. A 3rd round comp pick is basically an early 4th round pick anyway.

The comp pick is much more likely to be a 4th in 2020 which means another team's 5th in 2019 has more value.

The Seahawks would be about break-even if they took the Cowboys 5th in 2019 and didn't have to pay ET or deal with him being a distraction.

The Seahawks would be ahead if the got the Cowboys 4th in 2019.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were one win from a playoff spot, with Kam and Sherman each missing half the season. They've lost a few more players (and coaches, as you've pointed out) so I don't think they'll be good but they were hardly a ****show last season. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that they compete this season.

Agree to disagree.

That "one win from a playoff spot" was one that our own inept coaching staff handed them.

They had one quality win all season against the Eagles, and then proceeded to get annihilated - at home - to the new kings of the division, the Rams.

They'll be fortunate to finish ahead of the 49ers in their own division, much less make the playoffs. I don't think there's a bigger rebuild in the league.

glimmerman

Reaction score

They discussed a trade with the Cowboys in April. It appears they gave permission to Dallas to talk to ET's agent about what would be required for a contract extention. It seems that ETs knows Dallas would pay him; therefore he is going to stand on his head to force the issue with Seattle.

Seattle appears ready to move on and they have dumped a lot of contracts. They likely don't want to keep him and pay his 8.5M salary or deal with him being disgruntled.

They would get a comp pick if he stays for 2018 and then signs with another team as a free agent.

The very best comp pick would be a 3rd in 2020. Another team's 4th in 2019 is worth more than a 3rd in 2020. A 3rd round comp pick is basically an early 4th round pick anyway.

The comp pick is much more likely to be a 4th in 2020 which means another team's 5th in 2019 has more value.

The Seahawks would be about break-even if they took the Cowboys 5th in 2019 and didn't have to pay ET or deal with him being a distraction.

I don’t know that I would give them our 4th round either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Also keep in mind that any significant free agent signing that the Seahawks might make in 2019 would negate the possible comp pick they would get from Earl Thomas. Much like why the Cowboys didn't get one for Demarco Murray's departure because they ultimately signed Greg Hardy.

The Seahawks not only have to watch him walk, but they'd have to not make a significant signing themselves.