Twitter: Earl out here teasing us

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree all you want, the Seahawks are winning nothing this year. They got worse everywhere on their team after a 9-7 season in 2017. This is a rebuilding year. They don't have a towel to throw in. The teams in their division have already taken it from them.

You are probably right about Seattle but that doesn't mean they beleive it, or that they have any incentive to make Dallas better for years to come.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are probably right about Seattle but that doesn't mean they have any incentive to make Dallas better for years to come.

No, they don't owe the Cowboys anything. Thomas either for that matter.

But they have to decide what benefits them more:

Thomas on the field for a rebuilding year?

Or a draft pick(s) and $8.5 million in cap savings?

It's just my opinion, but if you're rebuilding, do that, rebuild. And do what it takes to maximize your ability to rebuild. And to me, that says picks and cap space and not keeping veterans around for one more year.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Same here. I'd love to have the guy on our team, but I'd also like to see what Xavier Woods can be.

And I'm also not interested in giving up a 2nd round pick and then setting the market for highest paid safety. If that's a condition of this deal, I say no thanks!
I would rather have the pick as well.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, they don't owe the Cowboys anything. Thomas either for that matter.

But they have to decide what benefits them more:

Thomas on the field for a rebuilding year?

Or a draft pick(s) and $8.5 million in cap savings?

It's just my opinion, but if you're rebuilding, do that, rebuild. And do what it takes to maximize your ability to rebuild. And to me, that says picks and cap space and not keeping veterans around for one more year.

Well, Seattle asked for a second rounder and we said no. So, they are willing to part with him for a decent draft pick, but they are also apparently willing to pay him.....or at least not let him go to Dallas.

And don't forget, just b/c we think they are not contenders doesn't mean they are going to approach the season like it. Having a seasoned veteran like Thomas back there can help transition the new players. If his only bone of contention with the organization is that he would rather play in Dallas, that might not be enough to categorize him as disgruntled and unwilling to play a productive role.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don’t get why some think to think this is impossible. It’s unlikely, but it’s definitely a possibility.
LOL, you just keep insisting on feeding that speculation. Good folks that read these pages, don't be gulled into believing this nonsense. ET is playing for Seattle this coming season and no one else, however, 2019 is a different matter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, Seattle asked for a second rounder and we said no. So, they are willing to part with him for a decent draft pick, but they are also apparently willing to pay him.....or at least not let him go to Dallas.

They definitely have to have planned for their bluff to be called, if that was in fact what they were doing. And to this point, I give the Cowboys credit for doing exactly that. They've also stood their ground and drawn a line for how far they are willing to go.

And don't forget, just b/c we think they are not contenders doesn't mean they are going to approach the season like it. Having a seasoned veteran like Thomas back there can help transition the new players. If his only bone of contention with the organization is that he would rather play in Dallas, that might not be enough to categorize him as disgruntled and unwilling to play a productive role.

They've already approached the season like they're rebuilding. Everything else they've done from trades, cuts and losing quality players, as well as coaches has shown that they're rebuilding. They can say whatever they want publicly, but actions speak louder than words.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Annoying? You act like it’s your money....lol How is it annoying for a player to show his desire to be on a team of his choice?
The "pursuit of happiness" is an annoying thing to some unpatriotic individuals. It's sad to observe when the concept of the "American Dream" being realized by a player is just appalling by some individuals that post on these pages.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They definitely have to have planned for their bluff to be called, if that was in fact what they were doing. And to this point, I give the Cowboys credit for doing exactly that. They've also stood their ground and drawn a line for how far they are willing to go.

They've already approached the season like they're rebuilding. Everything else they've done from trades, cuts and losing quality players, as well as coaches has shown that they're rebuilding. They can say whatever they want publicly, but actions speak louder than words.

The fact is that this time of year whether you are in Cleveland, Dallas, or Seattle, everybody thinks they have a chance if the pieces fall together right. Seattle has an excellent coach, a good QB, a new 1st round RB, and some really good pieces on defense. Clearly, they aren't ready to move on from Earl Thomas for anything less than a second rounder.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact is that this time of year whether you are in Cleveland, Dallas, or Seattle, everybody thinks they have a chance if the pieces fall together right. Seattle has an excellent coach, a good QB, a new 1st round RB, and some really good pieces on defense. Clearly, they aren't ready to move on from Earl Thomas for anything less than a second rounder.

If that's their demand? They can keep him!

Win nothing in 2018 and watch him walk away in 2019. By then, the GM and head coach might be joining him!
:laugh:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that's their demand? They can keep him!

Win nothing in 2018 and watch him walk away in 2019. By then, the GM and head coach might be joining him!
:laugh:

The salary cap is not just a maximum. It also has a minimum. You have to pay somebody. With all the high priced vets they let go this offseason , they have plenty of cap room and are required to spend it. If they want Thomas next year, they can always franchise him. Teams always have more leverage than players with very few exceptions. If Seattle is approaching the season as you say, what the flip would they care if Earl Thomas is happy or not? Why make Dallas better for very little return?

All I know for sure is the folks running that team are lot smarter the ones running this team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The salary cap is not just a maximum. It also has a minimum. You have to pay somebody. With all the high priced vets they let go this offseason , they have plenty of cap room and are required to spend it. If they want Thomas next year, they can always franchise him. Teams always have more leverage than players with very few exceptions. If Seattle is approaching the season as you say, what the flip would they care if Earl Thomas is happy or not? Why make Dallas better for very little return?

Sure, they can franchise tag him, and pay him more than they're unwilling to pay him in an extension. That's sure to happen.

All I know for sure is the folks running that team are lot smarter the ones running this team.

Really? Maybe at one point in time, but that ship has sailed, or in their case, sunk.

They're now reduced to having traded away future draft picks for questionable returns. See Sheldon Richardson and Duane Brown. One is already gone and the other is in the last year of his contract.

Meanwhile, they gave away Michael Bennett, cut Richard Sherman for no return and watched him sign in division, and saw Jimmy Graham leave along with plenty of others. Oh, and Avril and Chancellor are both done with injuries too.

Things are going swimmingly for Seattle...

Dre11

Reaction score
50/50? Are you ****ting me? He's one of the best safeties to EVER play the game...More like 1 in 10000 chance we'll find someone like him in the 3rd round. He is STILL the best safety in the game.

I was giving the naysayers the benefit of a doubt

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
let me say this. If we stand pat and don't get ET this year or next. We better be damned sure Xavier Woods and company are up to the task. Otherwise this will be the move we will come to regret later..just like not drafting Moss when we had the chance. Woods better be not all pro..but close!
ET is short and old, plus injuries are starting to pile up for him. If he was 25 or 26 years old, I would agree with you, but today he is definitely on the downside of his career. Seattle is simply playing hardball in hopes of trying to steal a very high draft pick for their once dominant old safety.

coult44

Reaction score
LOL, you just keep insisting on feeding that speculation. Good folks that read these pages, don't be gulled into believing this nonsense. ET is playing for Seattle this coming season and no one else, however, 2019 is a different matter.

The most he plays for Seattle is 8 games. The question is does Seattle want to pay him 12 Million minus a litttle fine money , to play half of a season. Most around here (Seattle area) don't think they will.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most he plays for Seattle is 8 games. The question is does Seattle want to pay him 12 Million minus a litttle fine money , to play half of a season. Most around here (Seattle area) don't think they will.

None of that info is accurate.