Earl Thomas reportedly skips the beginning of the Seahawks' offseason program

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think about Earl Thomas.

On one hand, he's a future Hall of Famer who's still probably the best FS in the league (do you count Harrison Smith as a strong or free safety?). Dude is an absolute stud, and he'd change our defense.

On the other hand, he's getting old and wants a big new deal. I think he's like 29, and he came into the league as a 20 or 21 year old redshirt sophomore so he has the wear on the tires of a 30/31 year old. He's not declining athletically, but he's racking up hits and injuries, and look at Dez to see how those can slow a guy down quick.

For 2018, I have no doubt he'd ball out, but it reminds me so much of the Richard Sherman deal. Dude got old quick, got hurt, and left Seattle holding the bag on the second half of a big contract. Signing Thomas to a 4 year deal at 29 years old would be repeating that exact same scenario. I guess you could go all in and pay him while Dak's on his rookie contract, but it just seems so likely to fail.

Safeties are one of the few positions that have longer careers on defense. It's not like he is a corner or linebacker. I get your point though. ET is very much so a win now move.

Sherman was a great player but he was marginal athletically. Corner is extremely demanding particularly with quickness. ET can lose a step and still contribute at a high level much like Witten is able to.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Think about it..if they want a 2nd...all Dallas has to do is package their 2nd with a 5th and trade up in the draft for one of the best safeties in the draft, who would be much younger, on a 5 year contract @ less $. If they want to trade Earl, the deal has to make sense for both sides. I say no higher than a 3rd, or a 4th and a player like Crawford/Beasley. But it would be sweet to get Earl. Remind them they got Wilson/Sherman in the 3rd, or later rounds.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Think about it..if they want a 2nd...all Dallas has to do is package their 2nd with a 5th and trade up in the draft for one of the best safeties in the draft, who would be much younger, on a 5 year contract @ less $. If they want to trade Earl, the deal has to make sense for both sides. I say no higher than a 3rd, or a 4th and a player like Crawford/Beasley. But it would be sweet to get Earl.
:thumbup:

A) Even if this were true which I don't buy, the chances of a player from the second round playing at or near an all pro level are virtually nil next year and slight for the following years. I hope you don't think your trade package would get us up 19 spots to the first round.
B) Unless you are getting Fitzpatrick or James you are not getting "one of the best S in the class." They are unlikely to make it to 19 much less the second round.
C) The dropoff from James to Reid and the rest of the FS in this class is steep. That makes ET valuable.

The reason why you don't offer a 2nd is because Seattle is not going to do any better anywhere else than a 34 ro 4th and at this point they really cannot keep him. He's skipping workouts as they continue to leave him in limbo.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Fuzzyst: 8064480 said:
A) Even if this were true which I don't buy, the chances of a player from the second round playing at or near an all pro level are virtually nil next year and slight for the following years. I hope you don't think your trade package would get us up 19 spots to the first round.
B) Unless you are getting Fitzpatrick or James you are not getting "one of the best S in the class." They are unlikely to make it to 19 much less the second round.
C) The dropoff from James to Reid and the rest of the FS in this class is steep. That makes ET valuable.

The reason why you don't offer a 2nd is because Seattle is not going to do any better anywhere else than a 34 ro 4th and at this point they really cannot keep him. He's skipping workouts as they continue to leave him in limbo.
I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about trading up in the 1st round by giving up the 1st, 2nd and 5th to go up and get a much younger player like Fitzpatrick or James @ less $ for a 5 year contract, as opposed to giving the 2nd up for Earl, since according to some, that's their rumored asking price. Just a hypothetical negotiation tactic Dallas could use on Seattle. My preference is, if they cannot get Earl at a reasonable cost, do not trade up for any player.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about trading up in the 1st round by giving up the 1st, 2nd and 5th to go up and get a much younger player like Fitzpatrick or James @ less $ for a 5 year contract, opposed to giving the 2nd up for Earl.

Its the difference between getting ET and say LVE/Ridley/Daniels plus the 5th and just Fitzpatrick. I'd rather have ET and the 1st.

Fitzpatrick is unlikely to be all pro the next two years. ET is. That is the rub in this deal. ET is 29 but he remains one of the very best FS in the NFL. Arguably the best in the NFL the last few years.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Its the difference between getting ET and say LVE/Ridley/Daniels plus the 5th and just Fitzpatrick. I'd rather have ET and the 1st.

Fitzpatrick is unlikely to be all pro the next two years. ET is. That is the rub in this deal. ET is 29 but he remains one of the very best FS in the NFL. Arguably the best in the NFL the last few years.
I agree. My post was meant to be as a suggestion for a hypothetical negotiation tactic Dallas could use on Seattle to bring their asking cost down. Sorry about that, I don't think I was very clear on that in my first post.
:yourock:

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-beginning-of-the-seahawks-offseason-program/

This is humongous as it is the first sign we have seen from ET that he is disgruntled. It gives us tremendous leverage in trade talks as this is ET publicly acting to show he is not buying into what the Seachickens are doing.

I was curious how long Seattle could leave him hung out to dry before he did something. With the draft hurtling towards us this is huge news.

Not even a story here as he said he wouldnt put his body in any posistion to get inured while not having a new contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why would you give a 2019 2nd, but not a 2018 3rd?

it's a conditional 2019 2nd ......first, 2019 gives more draft preparation time of not having 2nd rounder, second, if ET , makes pro bowl, have at least 5 interceptions, plays at least 13 games ( accomplishes 2 of the 3 ) I'd have no problem at all giving up my 2019 2nd and third, safety isn't the highest priority for us but you have take shot at adding a great payer if you can. For me, 2018 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks are damn near untouchable.......

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wants $10m AAV and was all pro. That seems fair to me. What makes you think he would pack it in after being all pro 5 of the past 6 years?
10M AAV would be a good number.

They might have to guarantee most of it for about a 4 year contract.

The Cowboys need to avoid bidding against themselves in regards to a trade. I don't think other teams will give up both cap space AND a premium pick for the player.

I see a 3rd as the very best they might get, but I see a 4th as more likely.

From the Cowboys perspective I would not do a 3rd but might do two 4ths.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Not even a story here as he said he wouldnt put his body in any posistion to get inured while not having a new contract.
Well he has stated a legit reason to sit out but does he think Seattle will sign him to another contract.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I would offer a 2nd rounder straight up......................or they can have a 3rd and I will pitch in Beasley, he is gone next yr anyways.

If Seattle says no to both deals, I hang up the phone.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think it ends up happening for 81 and a conditional pick next year. Time is on the side of the Cowboys, the Seahawks can ask for the moon but the pressure on the day of the draft will be a different matter altogether.
It would behoove the Seahawks to lower the price and be realistic,and stop the BS. They aint getting a 1st or a 2nd..and will be darn lucky to pry a 3rd rounder from a team. The pressure is all on them,and this is to Dallas' advantage. We can sit back and wait essentially..LET THEM CALL us.