Earl Thomas reportedly skips the beginning of the Seahawks' offseason program

Kaiser

Reaction score
A 2019 conditional 3rd..YES..I would. I would not do a thing more. If we do it now...I would offer a 4th this year plus a player..nothing more.

I think it ends up happening for 81 and a conditional pick next year. Time is on the side of the Cowboys, the Seahawks can ask for the moon but the pressure on the day of the draft will be a different matter altogether.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I really think ET to Dallas is going to happen. Most likely on Draft day when JJ is tuned up on the Johnny, looking to make a deal. We do not have a FS. His one of the best if not THE best.

Jerrah will definitly be amped up on the Johnny come draft day just like a comedian needs weed before going on set!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is he disgruntled though? What's the chance that he's fully gruntled but that they don't want him there possibly getting hurt on their books if a trade is either in the works or under heavy consideration? Maybe it's just a precaution.

Either way, it's telling of something.

I don't want to give up much for him in terms of comp, but whatever deal we make, it's got to give SEA more than the compensatory 4th they'd likely get from him if he were to walk and get a good contract next season. A third this year is better than a 4th the year after next, sure. I think it probably ends up costing more. A 3 and a 4, maybe? Plus the huge contract. I'd be down for that, but just barely. He's a hell of a player at a position we've neglected since forever, and has the connections with Richard. If we keep the 1 and the 2, we can still fill the LB and OL spot. Or sign Bowman, too, somehow, or manage a slight trade down in the first to add the ammunition to address WR, as well.

The big moving variable, though, is I don't want Thomas to stand in the way of Lawrence or Martin deals. I wish we'd just get Martin done so we know we have the tag in our back pocket if we need it again next season with Irving and Lawrence both up.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I think it ends up happening for 81 and a conditional pick next year. Time is on the side of the Cowboys, the Seahawks can ask for the moon but the pressure on the day of the draft will be a different matter altogether.

This is what I said about a month ago. Talk is cheap but when the draft rolls around and it's lights cameras action, Seattle will feel the pressure and fold like a cheap tent.

They need to shop earl bad and they need picks. Earl wanting to come here takes none of that pressure off either.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Is he disgruntled though? What's the chance that he's fully gruntled but that they don't want him there possibly getting hurt on their books if a trade is either in the works or under heavy consideration? Maybe it's just a precaution.

Either way, it's telling of something.

I don't want to give up much for him in terms of comp, but whatever deal we make, it's got to give SEA more than the compensatory 4th they'd likely get from him if he were to walk and get a good contract next season. A third this year is better than a 4th the year after next, sure. I think it probably ends up costing more. A 3 and a 4, maybe? Plus the huge contract. I'd be down for that, but just barely. He's a hell of a player at a position we've neglected since forever, and has the connections with Richard. If we keep the 1 and the 2, we can still fill the LB and OL spot. Or sign Bowman, too, somehow, or manage a slight trade down in the first to add the ammunition to address WR, as well.

The big moving variable, though, is I don't want Thomas to stand in the way of Lawrence or Martin deals. I wish we'd just get Martin done so we know we have the tag in our back pocket if we need it again next season with Irving and Lawrence both up.

The important point here is that either way it demonstrates that Seattle is going to trade him. Either he is disgruntled or Seattle is withholding him for trade. It hurts their leverage because keeping him is less of an option.

I doubt that ET is just an impassive observer in all this after watching his friends of Bennett and Sherman get the door.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
lol not a chance. ET and Berry are 1,2. Smith is a distance third and Byard has been in the league two years...

Lol not at all. Smith has been better than those other two for two years now. And Berry is behind Thomas

Doesnt matter how long youve been in the league lmao.... only matters how good you are. Actually being young is an advantage.

Last edited:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
People are so in love with picks. Name one player who's been more productive over the span of ET's career that the Cowboys have selected in the 2nd round in the last 21 years? If I'm the Cowboys, I give up the damn 2nd, I'd rather that than the tons of nobodies we drafted over the years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The important point here is that either way it demonstrates that Seattle is going to trade him. Either he is disgruntled or Seattle is withholding him for trade. It hurts their leverage because keeping him is less of an option.

I doubt that ET is just an impassive observer in all this after watching his friends of Bennett and Sherman get the door.

I've always believed they were going to turn the whole thing out. You don't let your vets walk like that and then keep one guy who wants an extension and who's publicly made noise about going elsewhere or even retiring. You get what you can, take him off your books, and go about the business of rebuilding the entire defense.

Plus, with Richard in Dallas, we make so much sense as a landing spot. The draft consideration isn't going to be so much that it hurts. The only question has been what do you pay the guy on an extension. He's clearly still one of the best S in the game. He wants a lot of money, but there are good players at his position sitting unsigned in the FA market two weeks before the draft. You either structure a deal that pays really well but that gives the team and option to cut him each season (in which case you lessen your offer to SEA, too), or you get him to take a small pay cut but give him security through to the next CBA if he's willing to be realistic about what his position is worth right now. The latter argument is dicey, though, and gets you playing brinksmanship as the draft gets closer and closer. I think that's what's going on right now, frankly.

Jake0

Reaction score
He's much better than any 3rd rounder in this draft..if you get 3-4 solid years it's worth it

He also costs 9+ million per year plus whatever he gets on the extension more than a 3rd rounder, who will be on a rookie deal for 4 years. I won't deny he's the best safety in the game and probably transforms this defense overnight. The team needs to be in win now mode though. I'm not sure it is. I have no faith in JG. The future is being salvaged for a chance at winning the next 2 years.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Our fan base has lost it. So you'd rather have Kavika Pittman and Randall Godfrey than Earl Thomas? That's what 2nd rounders brought us. And the guy is 28, he has a good 5 years of high powered play. I'd use my first on a DT, then 2nd on Earl Thomas, and 3rd on the best tackle/Wide out left in the draft. And the rest I'd use on offensive linemen.

Jake0

Reaction score
Our fan base has lost it. So you'd rather have Kavika Pittman and Randall Godfrey than Earl Thomas? That's what 2nd rounders brought us. And the guy is 28, he has a good 5 years of high powered play. I'd use my first on a DT, then 2nd on Earl Thomas, and 3rd on the best tackle/Wide out left in the draft. And the rest I'd use on offensive linemen.

What the hell? Last year the 2nd rounder brought Chido Awuzie. Why are you going way back to the dark ages and cherry picking crappy players? This year's draft is absolutely loaded in the 2nd round.

Ken

Reaction score
Earl Thomas to Dallas makes too much sense for it not to happen. Seattle would free up $8 million and ET wants to be here and I believe we want him.

3rd rounder and a 4 year front loaded contract and let call it good.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Thomas has the same 3 Cone Gruntle time today at age 28 as he did at his scouting combine.

I know 28 is up there but it's not all the way up there. Earl Thomas at 28????? There is no way you even sniff a player like him that age 5-10 years ago without giving up a boatload.

Yeah I know times are different now but we are talking earl freaking Thomas AT 28 years old. For you guys complaining that he is too old and giving up a 2nd or 3rd etc are crazy. We could get possibly 2-4 years out of earl, maybe even 5 if he has a very good developed cast around him still.

It's not like he is 32 or 35. He is not that old at 28. A 2nd or 3rd pick ?? Yes I would do it in Heart beat.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
How about a 3rd that turns into a 2nd if we make the NFCCG

That just sounds like we are bidding against ourselves. The proposals that I have seen have all been for this years picks. That conversation is for after the draft.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
If we trade anything at all for this guy I will lose my ****. I barely even want him on our team let alone give up assets for a guy who is gonna ask for the moon and then pack it in.

You barely want the best safety in the league on your team?